The Student Room Group

The Manchester United Thread XXIII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Kallisto
Pointed in a nutshell. That is why I think that he is a good solution. He is a versatile man for everything.

He will need to be.
The fans take it all personally
The opposition are varied and know his ways.
The media is opinionated and micro-analytical and in everyone's ear.

The players are emotional (Portuguese), petulant (French, Dutch), potentially brilliant but often disappointing (English), only the Spaniards are cool, calm and collected.
Covid lurks.
Oh, and the weather can be horrible.
Can a German be the man to weave his way through all this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by NJA
(...)
Can a German be the man to weave his way through all this?

Klopp on Liverpool's and Tuchel on Chelsea's side already proved that it is possible to get along with the players with the German whim. And even if it is just for this season in the time United is looking for a new manager, it works.
Reply 582
Original post by That Bearded Man
So, from watching some excellent YouTube videos breaking down Rangnick and Potential style of football - it seems that they would both tighten the attacking wingers (eg Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho) more centrally and try and use the fullbacks (AWB + Shaw)

This would be horrendous for us

They suggested Telles and Dalot in, but it would be depressing if the plan was to keep them central

If you look at the blueprint for successful modern teams (Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool if in the domestic league) then they all have top quality fullbacks and wingers who come more centrally.

But like you say, Man Utd have the wrong personel for this - from having luxury players like Ronaldo, Bruno and Pogba who do not suit an aggressive pressing side, to fullbacks who arent either smart enough or attacking enough to work.
@NJA

I am optimistic in terms of the personnel matter Rangnick. The Germans who are in Premier League as managers - I already named them - did a good job, led their teams to the Champions League victories, so why Rangnick shouldn't end up in a similar way. And no I don't think that United wins the Champions League in this or another season.
Reply 584
Ralph's "Heavy Metal" football, no waltzing about!

RaR.JPG

Ole was like nice nanny by comparison
Fred - 🤦
Reply 586
Rangnik now has the hardest, most pressured job in World football . .. but cometh the hour . ..
Fred - 🤦

i nearly broke the tv 😭
Original post by NJA
Rangnik now has the hardest, most pressured job in World football . .. but cometh the hour . ..

Everyone who begins at United has a hard job, all the more when the managers are compared with Ferguson. That is a comparison no one can't stand.
Reply 589
LOL @ Rashford spending the entire counter attack in an offside position
Original post by NJA

Not sure how - we know he’s only there for the season and he’s an upgrade on OGS. Not gonna hold it against him if we lose to PSG/Bayern in the CL. Football can only be more entertaining than under OGS.

I would say the exact opposite - he could **** up royally, still get his advisory job and we’d still say “well, he only had a year”
Reply 591
Not sure how - we know he’s only there for the season and he’s an upgrade on OGS. Not gonna hold it against him if we lose to PSG/Bayern in the CL. Football can only be more entertaining than under OGS.

I would say the exact opposite - he could **** up royally, still get his advisory job and we’d still say “well, he only had a year”

The players have been saying they don't know what the problem is and there's been tears. We saw an increased willingness to close the opposition down on Sunday, that's before he even got there.

Perhaps apart from a certain French primadonna these players are just waiting for a vision they can believe in, by the sound of it Ralph's got it.

Sure the bad habits of the last 3 years won't go immediately but I believe the attitude is there to make things happen so give it a few weeks And the oli years will just seem like the wilderness compared to The Promised Land.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 592

Think he has half a season as manager and 2 years as consultant. Basically means he'll get a fat pay off when you sack him next Xmas because the new manager doesnt want him around.
Reply 593
Original post by NJA
The players have been saying they don't know what the problem is and there's been tears. We saw an increased willingness to close the opposition down on Sunday, that's before he even got there.

Perhaps apart from a certain French primadonna these players are just waiting for a vision they can believe in, by the sound of it Ralph's got it.

Sure the bad habits of the last 3 years won't go immediately but I believe the attitude is there to make things happen so give it a few weeks And the oli years will just seem like the wilderness compared to The Promised Land.

Don't get the Pogba dislike, dude was running things at Juve, got to a CL final and he's witnessing this nonsense day to day year to year but when he plays for his national team with proper coaches he's a clear world class player.

The management and recruitment have been awful
Original post by bj27
Don't get the Pogba dislike, dude was running things at Juve, got to a CL final and he's witnessing this nonsense day to day year to year but when he plays for his national team with proper coaches he's a clear world class player.

Who forced Pogba to waste a good chunk of his years at United then?
Reply 595
Original post by samir12
Who forced Pogba to waste a good chunk of his years at United then?

Pogba definitely asked to leave though and when you buy ibrahimovic and mkhitaryan at the peak of their powers you're probably thinking of winning titles and being deep in the CL.
Original post by bj27
Pogba definitely asked to leave though and when you buy ibrahimovic and mkhitaryan at the peak of their powers you're probably thinking of winning titles and being deep in the CL.

He was 36-37 😅
Reply 597
He was 36-37 😅

Also off the back of his highest goalscoring season in his entire career at PSG.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/3281/History/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic

If that's not peak of his powers then what is? Lets not act like he didn't rip up the premier league when he came too or isn't still scoring for fun at the age of 40. He's that good, could probably play until 45 lmao.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 598
Original post by bj27

How much longer can you use the excuse that he was running things at Juventus? Pogba is into his 6th season at Man Utd.. His Juve career is basically a footballer's lifetime ago already!
Reply 599
Original post by Zerforax
How much longer can you use the excuse that he was running things at Juventus? Pogba is into his 6th season at Man Utd.. His Juve career is basically a footballer's lifetime ago already!

I can use the excuse that he runs things for France against top opposition then, opposition that are as good as many premier league and CL clubs.

He will probably leave to go to Real Madrid or PSG, think Pogba would be a good replacement for Modric.

Chelsea are a bit stacked in midfield and it's unfair on the likes of Loftus Cheek and other developing players.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest