The Student Room Group

economics

I was wondering if anyone could help me,
I am currently in year 12 so I have more than a year to go but I would like to apply for economics and management/economics and industrial organisation/ economics and finance undergraduate study at some of the top universities such as oxford, warwick and LSE as well as other safety net options
I was wondering what I could be doing in year 12 to strengthen my personal statement. Are there any particular books, or work experiences or clubs I should take part in? Thank you!
Hey, I do econ at Warwick. I honestly did the basics in terms of dofe and stuff like that and my personal statement was built around my subject. The reading I chose was a part of economics that I found interesting and only read a chapter instead of the whole book. I can’t remember the name or anything cos it was over a year ago but focus on why u want to do econ and how it interests you basically
Original post by staralevel
I was wondering if anyone could help me,
I am currently in year 12 so I have more than a year to go but I would like to apply for economics and management/economics and industrial organisation/ economics and finance undergraduate study at some of the top universities such as oxford, warwick and LSE as well as other safety net options
I was wondering what I could be doing in year 12 to strengthen my personal statement. Are there any particular books, or work experiences or clubs I should take part in? Thank you!

Easily the best way to strengthen your application is to take further maths and do well in it. Reading books is essentially the most basic prerequisite when it comes to economics applications. One thing that makes you stand out is participating in economics essay competitions.

Work experience is good but everyone knows you can't actually do any properly useful work experience until the summer of your second year at uni unless you manage to find a good gap-year scheme. Also worth noting that you're applying to an academic institution, so the people who'll be judging your application have actively chosen university as a career over working in industry so whilst work experience is beneficial, it's basically preaching to the wrong crowd
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BenRyan99
Easily the best way to strengthen your application is to take further maths and do well in it. Reading books is essentially the most basic prerequisite when it comes to economics applications. One thing that makes you stand out is participating in economics essay competitions.

Work experience is good but everyone knows you can't actually do any properly useful work experience until the summer of your second year at uni unless you manage to find a good gap-year scheme. Also worth noting that you're applying to an academic institution, so the people who'll be judging your application have actively chosen university as a career over working in industry so whilst work experience is beneficial, it's basically preaching to the wrong crowd

Thank you so much! I am taking further maths, although it is quite difficult I am going to try keep on going with it! I managed to secure a work experience at JP Morgan for the summer which I thought could help, in terms of the finance side of the degree. I will definitely be reading and essay competitions in order to help the economics side! Thank you once again for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by KoskaR7877
Hey, I do econ at Warwick. I honestly did the basics in terms of dofe and stuff like that and my personal statement was built around my subject. The reading I chose was a part of economics that I found interesting and only read a chapter instead of the whole book. I can’t remember the name or anything cos it was over a year ago but focus on why u want to do econ and how it interests you basically

Thank you! How many books should I talk about in my personal statement?
Original post by staralevel
Thank you so much! I am taking further maths, although it is quite difficult I am going to try keep on going with it! I managed to secure a work experience at JP Morgan for the summer which I thought could help, in terms of the finance side of the degree. I will definitely be reading and essay competitions in order to help the economics side! Thank you once again for the advice!

Yeah whilst FM isn't easy, ultimately you generally have to do it to get into the top unis, so it's a necessary evil.

It's difficult to say how much finance experience and interest plays a role in being beneficial in an economics application but since you're applying to joint Econ degrees with business school subjects then you definitely should. I would just recommend not disregarding the Econ section considering at least half (probs 2/3) of your degree will be in it and A-level students have a tendency to talk a lot about finance and not enough about academic economics in their PS even when applying to straight Econ. Whilst financial economics is a branch of applied economics, it's quite a small niche part that students often overestimate when applying and end up with half their PS on the financial crisis 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending