The Student Room Group

A level vs Btec

Which looks better: B in psychology a level or distinction in psychology Btec
Original post by 144000

I would say the B. I think a decent grade at A Level is much harder to achieve than a good Btec grade, but I wouldn't know, not having done a Btec myself. What matters at the end of the day though is not how the grade looks, but the entrance requirements of the unis you want to apply to. Many don't really regard Btecs that highly I believe.
The BTEC is pretty good you need to pass everything to achieve the qualification also the practical nature of the course appeals to employers and helps later with job applications.
I would say the B in psychology only because im more biased to an a level rather btec
Reply 4
Original post by 144000

Is there a Psychology BTEC?

Edit: Is it Applied Psychology https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/applied-psychology.html ?
(edited 2 years ago)
yeah my college does a BTEC psychology course
Original post by Funtimes01_
According to the education board a BTEC L3 Subsidiary Diploma is equivalent to 1 A level. Therefore a Distinction is equivalent to an A grade at A Level, so that looks better. Having done 2 BTEC's in the Past getting Grade Distinction* and Distinction along with 4 other A levels, all are a lot of work. My 2 BTEC's were massively heavy on Coursework and Practical Assessment Grades, which for my acting one involved me performing long scenes in front of an audience of 100+ people at times in our college theatre. You can also get a Distinction on the Practical Assessment for a Unit at BTEC, but if you get a pass for the Coursework you get a Pass for the whole lot. So different to A level in that regard, which makes BTECs harder. Here's what the BTEC grades are equivalent to

Distinction* - A* grade equivalent at A level (56 UCAS Points)
Distinction - A grade equivalent at A level (48 UCAS Points)
Merit - C grade equivalent at A level (32 UCAS Points)
Pass - E grade equivalent at A level (16 UCAS Points)

Hope this helped. Don't ever let anyone tell you that BTECs are useless, you often get more out of them for practical skills than A levels which is just writing exams.

Of course Btecs are a proper qualification and are very much equal to a levels, I personally just prefer an a level course
Original post by Funtimes01_
Don't worry, I didn't mean you. Back in my time at college a long time ago, there was some prejudice against BTECs for some reason. But from first hand experience, grade wise we got more out of it than the A level kids and carried our practical skills which honed our confidence and communication into University and work.

I agree and there is still some now and I know many of people that get great grades in btecs and get to do the course they want. I think that btecs are great for people who are more coursework oriented rather than exam orientated.

Quick Reply

Latest