The Student Room Group

***Application Help From Former Morgan Stanley Employee***

Hi All - I'm offering advice and support for those applying to spring weeks / summer internships / industrial placements in investment banking and S&T.

A little about me: I worked at Morgan Stanley in the Sales and Trading division for over a year and now work at a hedge fund. I've been through the process of applying to these schemes multiple times at all the big banks so I know what they are looking for.

Insider application tips and tricks for each stage: https://youtu.be/pLjiA2ivkyw

Good luck to everyone applying!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Itsfurreal
Hi All - I'm offering advice and support for those applying to spring weeks / summer internships / industrial placements in investment banking and S&T.

A little about me: I worked at Morgan Stanley in the Institutional Equities Division (within sales and trading) for over a year on the industrial placement scheme, and have done a summer internship at HSBC in Global Markets. I've been through the process of applying to these schemes multiple times at all the big banks so I know what they are looking for in an excellent application.

I offer a range of services, DM me prices/details or for specific requests:

- Full CV review
- Full Cover Letter review
- CV and Cover Letter review package
- Tailored interview help

Good luck to everyone applying!

For which university did you go?
Reply 2
Original post by Manvith
For which university did you go?

Hi Manvith - I studied economics and finance at the University of Exeter
Reply 3
Hi Manvith - I studied economics and finance at the University of Exeter

Do you know what are the target and semi-target universities that banks target?
Original post by Manvith
Do you know what are the target and semi-target universities that banks target?

No way you're not a troll at this point with the amount of times people have answered this question for you.
Reply 5
Targets: Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick

Semi Targets: Exeter, Bristol, Bath, Durham
Reply 6
Targets: Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick

Semi Targets: Exeter, Bristol, Bath, Durham

Nottingham and QMUL?
Reply 7
Original post by Manvith
Nottingham and QMUL?

Neither are targets. I know a few people in banking who went to Nottingham, don't know anyone from QMUL
Reply 8
Neither are targets. I know a few people in banking who went to Nottingham, don't know anyone from QMUL

Then is Nottingham a semi-target?

what types of subjects do most people study in university who work in investment banking?
Reply 9
Original post by Manvith
Then is Nottingham a semi-target?

what types of subjects do most people study in university who work in investment banking?

I would say no, that doesn't mean you can't get into banking if you go there, it just means you're less likely to have employer events and the uni most likely won't have a relationship with any of the big banks which means less tailored application support.

You can pretty much study anything and get into IB. The only real criteria is that you're smart and work hard. I know people who did biology, languages, history etc.

That being said, physics/mechanics/comp sci grads tend to do well as it's proof you're at least pretty smart, and economics/finance will of course give you a good level of basic knowledge.
Reply 10
I would say no, that doesn't mean you can't get into banking if you go there, it just means you're less likely to have employer events and the uni most likely won't have a relationship with any of the big banks which means less tailored application support.

You can pretty much study anything and get into IB. The only real criteria is that you're smart and work hard. I know people who did biology, languages, history etc.

That being said, physics/mechanics/comp sci grads tend to do well as it's proof you're at least pretty smart, and economics/finance will of course give you a good level of basic knowledge.

Does the same targets and semi-targets apply to middle office and back office roles?
Reply 11
Original post by Manvith
Does the same targets and semi-targets apply to middle office and back office roles?

No only to front office. Middle and back office are much less selective in terms of university.
Reply 12
I have received offers from Bath, Nottingham, and Bristol. Which is better to get a job in an investment bank and to which university will they hold most employer events?
Reply 13
Original post by Manvith
I have received offers from Bath, Nottingham, and Bristol. Which is better to get a job in an investment bank and to which university will they hold most employer events?

For what subject? Bath has very good links to banking and many of the people I worked with at Morgan Stanley went there so that would be my top pick. Bristol second and Notts last.
Reply 14
For what subject? Bath has very good links to banking and many of the people I worked with at Morgan Stanley went there so that would be my top pick. Bristol second and Notts last.

all for BSc economics?
Reply 15
Original post by Manvith
all for BSc economics?

Got it, yeah I would say Bath, then Bristol, the Notts
Reply 16
Got it, yeah I would say Bath, then Bristol, the Notts

Sorry for the university of bath it is BSc Economics and Mathematics does this really differ if I don't study BSc Economics does it reduce my employability chance?
Reply 17
If anything that makes you more employable, excellent degree for banking as you have the maths part to prove you're smart and the econ part to give you that baseline knowledge
Reply 18
What type of technicals should you know if you're applying to s&t? ik ib has specific ones but does s&t have any technical questions which everyone is expected to know (especially for a role in sales)
What kind of knowledge would you expect an applicant for a spring week at MS to have? Are a lot of technical questions asked in the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending