The Student Room Group

Covid vaccine for healthcare course?

Do you need a covid vaccine for any of the allied health professions university degree? I really don’t want to get one as I am very scared for my health. I get panic attacks whenever I think about this and would never be able to get a covid vaccine.

Have any optometrists or physiotherapists had any experiences with mandatory covid vaccination and what is your personal opinion on the matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Do you need a covid vaccine for any of the allied health professions university degree? I really don’t want to get one as I am very scared for my health. I get panic attacks whenever I think about this and would never be able to get a covid vaccine.

Have any optometrists or physiotherapists had any experiences with mandatory covid vaccination and what is your personal opinion on the matter?

There was a physio student on here recently who was advised that it was mandatory to be vaccinated.
I'm in college and the health and social care department is a mess ever since they got told they need to get the vaccine cuz if they don't get work experience (which u wud need a vaccine to work in nhs or with old people) they cant complete the course and a lot of people arent happy about it

I mean, at least they aren't on the job yet, many are going to be losing their jobs becuz of this...if they don't like it then they can just change courses
Reply 3
Original post by HelloHello143
I'm in college and the health and social care department is a mess ever since they got told they need to get the vaccine cuz if they don't get work experience (which u wud need a vaccine to work in nhs or with old people) they cant complete the course and a lot of people arent happy about it

I mean, at least they aren't on the job yet, many are going to be losing their jobs becuz of this...if they don't like it then they can just change courses

Which degree did you do?
Are people getting kicked off the course for not getting the vaccine?
Any healthcare student training within the NHS needs to get the vaccine.

Which degree did you do?
Are people getting kicked off the course for not getting the vaccine?

This hasn’t happened yet because the deadline to be double vaccinated is next spring.
Reply 5
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Any healthcare student training within the NHS needs to get the vaccine.

This hasn’t happened yet because the deadline to be double vaccinated is next spring.

Do you know of any ways to be exempt?

I am so desperate at this point
Do you know of any ways to be exempt?

I am so desperate at this point

There is medical exemption but you’d need proof of this.
Reply 7
There is medical exemption but you’d need proof of this.

What sort of proof would be needed.

Could I say that I literally have panic attacks at the thought of getting the covid vaccine and that I don’t want to risk getting the harmful side effects?
Is mental health a valid exemption?
What sort of proof would be needed.

Could I say that I literally have panic attacks at the thought of getting the covid vaccine and that I don’t want to risk getting the harmful side effects?
Is mental health a valid exemption?

You need an exemption certificate from a certified source I.e. your GP.
Call me a silly, but aren't these irrational panic attacks over basic medical things going to mibbie impact a medical career?
You need an exemption certificate from a certified source I.e. your GP.

Would this then allow me to do the degree without placement or could I then go on placement?
Would this affect my career in terms of employability in the nhs and progression up the bands?
Would this then allow me to do the degree without placement or could I then go on placement?
Would this affect my career in terms of employability in the nhs and progression up the bands?

I don’t know
Are you vaccinated against everything else? Occupitional health requires you to have 2x MMR, BCG, varicella and Hepatitis B vaccines (this is for dentistry Idk if it's different for other healthcare courses). Try talking to a GP about your worries with the COVID vaccine. I have both doses of the pfizer shot and didn't experience any side effects.
Original post by StriderHort
Call me a silly, but aren't these irrational panic attacks over basic medical things going to mibbie impact a medical career?

I have no other career aspirations! I have dreamed my whole life of being a medical professional and helping people, now I won’t be able to do this because of a useless vaccine that has little to no benefit. I mean only 40% protection over the omicron variant come on now
I have no other career aspirations! I have dreamed my whole life of being a medical professional and helping people, now I won’t be able to do this because of a useless vaccine that has little to no benefit. I mean only 40% protection over the omicron variant come on now

40% protection is still better than 0% if you're unvaccinated.

Yeah... I don't think med is for you :tongue:

You certainly don't sound ideal for the medical profession if you don't see the benefit in vaccines

This really is not a helpful viewpoint. Trust in the scientists who developed the vaccine. It has been given to hundreds of millions of people, and if some awful side effect had happened, it would have been noticed by now. If you are under 30, you would probably be given the Pfizer which is so safe and effective. Please talk to your GP about getting the vaccine, or look at the NHS website. If it wasn't safe, they would not be offering it. You should get vaccinated.
Okay right I know that vaccines have a benefit and I have got all of my vaccines up until now with this covid 19 vaccine. I still think that it hasn’t been rigorously tested enough and that the long term impacts haven’t been measured enough.
Guys please stop trying to convince me to get the vaccine as it’s not happening.

I just want advice on what to do and the potential loopholes in the system. I also want to know people’s experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending