The Student Room Group

Do video-games help cope with sadness and loneliness?

My brother has a ps4 so maybe I can try to play on it.

Scroll to see replies

They definitely can help in some ways - they can be escapist and can distract you from whatever intrusive thoughts may be bothering you, better than most other things can. The disadvantage is that they can be habit-forming, and spending hours playing games rather than doing something more productive won't necessarily do much for your self-esteem, and it won't really work towards solving any problems you may have. But it's a good coping mechanism. MUCH better than drinking or drugs!
Reply 2
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
They definitely can help in some ways - they can be escapist and can distract you from whatever intrusive thoughts may be bothering you, better than most other things can. The disadvantage is that they can be habit-forming, and spending hours playing games rather than doing something more productive won't necessarily do much for your self-esteem, and it won't really work towards solving any problems you may have. But it's a good coping mechanism. MUCH better than drinking or drugs!

What video-games do you recommend?
Original post by Lacrimosa1

it helps but at the same time it doesn’t. online friends aren’t the same as irl friends, as i’ve been told many times. i struggle with loneliness. im sorry i couldn’t be of much help
Reply 4
Original post by usernamechange11
it helps but at the same time it doesn’t. online friends aren’t the same as irl friends, as i’ve been told many times. i struggle with loneliness. im sorry i couldn’t be of much help

You're Lonley too? Would you like to be friends?
(edited 2 years ago)
What video-games do you recommend?

I play a game called Caves of Qud which is not for everyone, and before that I played The Binding of Isaac until I had 111%'ed it twice. Previously I've played Minecraft, the Portal games, Terraria, Starbound, Rimworld, TF2, and some others. All pretty great and very distracting!
Reply 6
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I play a game called Caves of Qud which is not for everyone, and before that I played The Binding of Isaac until I had 111%'ed it twice. Previously I've played Minecraft, the Portal games, Terraria, Starbound, Rimworld, TF2, and some others. All pretty great and very distracting!

Thanks a lot! Your advice makes me want to give you something in return
You're Lonley too? Would you like to be friends?

sure
Loneliness in the short run, sadness never. Videogames are not really a helpful distraction. There are better moments to play them.
Definitely. I struggle getting into mobile games though so I suggest avoiding that. PS4 would be a good start, if you're not enjoying a game, switch to another one.
(edited 2 years ago)
they are a good distraction
well sometimes playing the game makes you mad
Original post by black tea
they are a good distraction

They are, I agree. For sad feelings instead, videogames are no help to feel better.
Original post by Kallisto
They are, I agree. For sad feelings instead, videogames are no help to feel better.

To feel better in the longterm - no; to get through a crisis by means of distraction - definitely
To feel better in the longterm - no; to get through a crisis by means of distraction - definitely

Sadness okay, but loneliness isn't a mere life crisis, it is a mental issue and lead to depression, if these people don't get the friends around they need to feel happy.
Sadness okay, but loneliness isn't a mere life crisis, it is a mental issue and lead to depression, if these people don't get the friends around they need to feel happy.

Loneliness can lead to a mental health crisis. That's what I was referring to.
Loneliness can lead to a mental health crisis. That's what I was referring to.

I don't object in this sense and if this crisis got worse, depression is mostly the next step.
I don't object in this sense and if this crisis got worse, depression is mostly the next step.

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean by mental health crisis (i.e. feeling unsafe and needing to call Samaritans/crisis team). It's going off topic though so I will stop derailing the thread,
Reply 18

Not long term. Video games act as a distraction as it draws your attention away from real life. If you are lonely, you dont need video games, you need friends.
they can help. maybe not as a long term solution but definitely to help escape and get your mind off things

Quick Reply

Latest