The Student Room Group

H&sc unit 4- health article

Hello,
From my last forum, I have been receiving a lot of PM's for this unit, so
this is for anyone who is carrying out research for physical inactivity. NOT SOCIAL! as a lot of people seems confused on the research.

Question 1) Method
Include aim, strength, weakness, type of data, suitability, reliability, validity, conclusion, and quotes to support.

I will provide one example for the following, do the same for the other method used.
ITS
It's a quasi-experimental approach that uses data from multiple time intervals (2005-2014) before and after an intervention to determine whether the intervention had a greater effect.
Advantages
- Easy and quick to analyse and draw conclusions.
- Cost effective and time effective.
- allows researchers to compare long-term time trends in data to measure the impact of an initiative.
Disadvantages:
- People may enter without swiping their membership card therefore it not being entered on the system, or participants could transfer between activities inside a leisure facility. If the level of error increased before and after the intervention, these errors might contribute to bias.

You would then do the same for the other methods that was used. In this case: Random telephone survey.

Question2) Importance
This would include the IMPORTANCE of research for individuals, professionals and wider society.

For example: Individuals
"Physical inactivity is linked to a wide range of physical and mental health outcomes and is estimated to cost the National Health Service (NHS) £455 million a year" - From Article provided.
Secondary research to support-
"the UK population is around 20% less active than in the 1960s. If current trends continue, it will be 35% less active by 2030" (Physical activity: applying All Our Health 2019).
A good way to make a link would be to say "this would be supported by___" and then implement your contextual analysis.

You would have to reference, and provide contextual knowledge for the secondary research provided. You would need a total of 4 points. Talking of the importance: for individuals, professionals and wider society. I have provided the first one for you.

Question 3) Provision + Practice
1) explain how the article and secondary research can change provision + practice (recommendation) and provide recommendation.

For example: Policy and practice-
"funding such as local government public health grants or health service funds to be invested in subsidising leisure facilities to promote public health"

You would then find secondary research to support implications and what recommendations can be made. Finish it off by concluding. Include the 4 purpose of research.

Please use the examples I have provided to carry out the rest of the research. As usual, I'm happy to mark and offer feedback on any drafted responses prior to anyone's mocks (free of charge). If there's further confusion please see the band marks attached.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by yahmar
Hello,
this is for anyone who is carrying out research for physical inactivity. NOT SOCIAL! as a lot of people seems confused on the research.

Question 1) Method
Include aim, strength, weakness, type of data, suitability, reliability, validity, conclusion, and quotes to support.

I will provide one example for the following, do the same for the other method used.
ITS
It's a quasi-experimental approach that uses data from multiple time intervals (2005-2014) before and after an intervention to determine whether the intervention had a greater effect.
Advantages
- allows researchers to compare long-term time trends in data to measure the impact of an initiative.
Disadvantages:
- People may enter without swiping their membership card therefore it not being entered on the system, or participants could transfer between activities inside a leisure facility. If the level of error increased before and after the intervention, these errors might contribute to bias.

You would then do the same for the other methods that was used. In this case: Random telephone survey.

Question2) Importance
This would include the IMPORTANCE of research for individuals, professionals and wider society.

"Physical inactivity is linked to a wide range of physical and mental health outcomes and is estimated to cost the National Health Service (NHS) £455 million a year" - From Article provided.
"the UK population is around 20% less active than in the 1960s. If current trends continue, it will be 35% less active by 2030" (Physical activity: applying All Our Health 2019).

You would have to reference, and provide contextual knowledge for the secondary research provided. You would need a total of 4 points. Talking of the importance: for individuals, professionals and wider society. I have provided the first one for you.

1) explain how the article and secondary research can change provision + practice (recommendation) and provide recommendation.

"funding such as local government public health grants or health service funds to be invested in subsidising leisure facilities to promote public health"

You would then find secondary research to support implications and what recommendations can be made. Finish it off by concluding. Include the 4 purpose of research.

Please use the examples I have provided to carry out the rest of the research. As usual, I'm happy to mark and offer feedback on any drafted responses prior to anyone's mocks (free of charge). If there's further confusion please see the band marks attached.

Band Mark
Original post by yahmar
Band Mark

Original post by yahmar
Hello,

Question 1) Method

ITS
Advantages
Disadvantages:

Question2) Importance

A good way to make a link would be to say "this would be supported by___" and then implement your contextual analysis.

Could u use the same layout but just change the information so it’s relevant for social article? E.g they used a different research method. Or are they different questions? Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Ellieellie.
Could u use the same layout but just change the information so it’s relevant for social article? E.g they used a different research method. Or are they different questions? Thanks

Yes ofc, same format just use the methods used in your article!
Original post by yahmar
Hello,

Question 1) Method

ITS
Advantages
Disadvantages:

Question2) Importance

Hi, quick question; would you say the ITS is suitable for this research because it allowed researchers to compare data before and after the intervention and therefore increasing the validity of the research?
Reply 5
Original post by Wilhelmina:
Hi, quick question; would you say the ITS is suitable for this research because it allowed researchers to compare data before and after the intervention and therefore increasing the validity of the research?

absolutely, it's also a suitable method as quantitative data is being obtained which allows for graphs to be created and a rapid analysis. (it lets you test the aim of research)
Original post by yahmar
absolutely, it's also a suitable method as quantitative data is being obtained which allows for graphs to be created and a rapid analysis. (it lets you test the aim of research)

Thank you. How could we start Q2 in the exam? Any idea how to structure it.
Reply 7
Thank you. How could we start Q2 in the exam? Any idea how to structure it.

For the structure, I would include an introduction towards the importance of research by discussing the four purposes of research. Then, write on the importance of research to individuals, professionals, and wider society. Finalise it with a conclusion.
Reply 8
Original post by stuDYING 1234
For question 3, are talking about the implications of the main article or of our secondary research?

you're talking about the implication of the main article that has been provided and secondary research to support x
Reply 9
Hello,I’m confused as to what you mean by the “include the 4 purpose of research”… what is the 4 purpose of research??
We learnt it at the start of the year the 4 aims/purpose of research it's either in the specification or textbook x

Thank you so much! X
Does anyone know how to answer question 4 about the ethics for the health article? Struggling to find areas where it’s unethical as I find the article is quite ethical.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Question 4 is not related to the article. In the exam we will get an unseen case study including research methods ect and we need to talk about planning research ect

Oh yeah😂thank you haha x
Original post by yahmar
Hello,

Question 1) Method

ITS
Advantages
Disadvantages:

Question2) Importance

Hey! Thank you so much for this but what are the questions for? The paper doesn't have questions. Are these for notes structure?
Original post by ibtiix15
Hey! Thank you so much for this but what are the questions for? The paper doesn't have questions. Are these for notes structure?

The paper has 4 questions..? X
Original post by Beth1_23
The paper has 4 questions..? X

Does anyone know how many methods are in the Health article?
Does anyone know how many methods are in the Health article?

Don’t quote me, but I think 2
Don’t quote me, but I think 2

okay, thanks, a telephone survey and ITS right?
okay, thanks, a telephone survey and ITS right?

Yes i think so, I’m finding question 2&3 pretty difficult
Yes i think so, I’m finding question 2&3 pretty difficult

i think for those qs we need to find secondary research relating to the article

Quick Reply

Latest