The Student Room Group

Advice for getting 7s and above in GCSEs

Hi there,

I'd just like some advice on how to push my grade up to the best it can be. I have mock exams in February and I'd really like to be a minimum of an A grade (7/8/9) in at least in all of my subjects. I'll state my current grades below, so you can see where I am currently at (I just had mock exams a week ago):

AQA Biology -> 9
AQA Chemistry -> 5
AQA Physics -> 5
Edexcel Mathematics -> 7
Edexcel Geography -> 7
WJEC Music -> 6
AQA English Literature -> 6
AQA English Language -> 5
Reply 1
pm me and i will give u personal advice on what i did for maths, english and triple science.

i got a 9 in bio 9 in chem 8 in physics 9 in maths 8 in english language 7 in english lit
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi there,

I'd just like some advice on how to push my grade up to the best it can be. I have mock exams in February and I'd really like to be a minimum of an A grade (7/8/9) in at least in all of my subjects. I'll state my current grades below, so you can see where I am currently at (I just had mock exams a week ago):

AQA Biology -> 9
AQA Chemistry -> 5
AQA Physics -> 5
Edexcel Mathematics -> 7
Edexcel Geography -> 7
WJEC Music -> 6

I am in Y13 but I got 7888889999 in my GCSEs in 2020 so I’ll try and help you out a bit by subject?

1) Biology - I don’t think you need help here! Nor could I offer it since I got an 8 in my Y11 Biology mock (and real thing since teachers based it on my mock)
2) Chemistry - this was a subject I really struggled with at first. I would really recommend trying to watch ‘Free Science Lessons’ on YouTube. He has the most annoying voice but he’s super helpful and covers the spec very well, as well as including really great examples not seen in the textbook! I would just make some notes from his vids and do some practice papers . I got an 8+ in my mock doing this and sadly because of teacher assessed grades was given an 8 but still good :smile:
3) Physics - exactly the same as Chemistry! Also learn the equations - I know you guys are getting an extended equation sheet (that my year didn’t have) but you need to understand what these symbols mean and how to use them in order to answer questions. A massive tip from me would be that if there’s a 6 mark question with equations, you probably need to work with more than one equation - possibly up to 3! I’d try and work through these as once you get it it’s worth so many marks.
4) For Maths, I’d go through the textbook and do practice questions. If you struggle with any practice questions, just ask your teacher for help and that should be useful for moving forwards.
5) Geography is just a memory game! Once you’ve got the essay technique (which if you haven’t, I’d recommend practicing some essays), you just need to remember info - I would do some notes and flashcards. This got me a 9 in geography! :smile:
6) I didn’t do music but I’m currently doing grade 5 music theory and grade 6 practical so I’ll let you know what I learnt from the theory in terms of revision techniques (may not be helpful tho, sorry). Practice questions was a big one, as was flashcards for remembering those musical terms and for remembering your keys and scales :smile:
7) Loved English Literature at GCSE! I got a 9 and honestly I owe it all to “Mr Salles Teaches English” YouTube channel. I watched all his videos called ‘all the themes of…eg. Macbeth’ and made posters on it and it was sooo useful. I watched his essay technique videos too and did practice essays for my teacher to mark. Flashcards for quotes are great too - have the quote on one side and analysis on the other.
8) For English Language, I would make flashcards identifying techniques (like metaphor etc.) and their definitions so that you remember which is which. I would also look at learning the essay technique - which you can find on Mr Salles’ YT as well (defo recommend!) the final thing would then be to do practice essays and get your teacher to mark them.

Btw I got my 7 in French so all these subjects above I’m offering advice for what got me an 8/9! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by louisecarter01
I am in Y13 but I got 7888889999 in my GCSEs in 2020 so I’ll try and help you out a bit by subject?

1) Biology - I don’t think you need help here! Nor could I offer it since I got an 8 in my Y11 Biology mock (and real thing since teachers based it on my mock)
2) Chemistry - this was a subject I really struggled with at first. I would really recommend trying to watch ‘Free Science Lessons’ on YouTube. He has the most annoying voice but he’s super helpful and covers the spec very well, as well as including really great examples not seen in the textbook! I would just make some notes from his vids and do some practice papers . I got an 8+ in my mock doing this and sadly because of teacher assessed grades was given an 8 but still good :smile:
3) Physics - exactly the same as Chemistry! Also learn the equations - I know you guys are getting an extended equation sheet (that my year didn’t have) but you need to understand what these symbols mean and how to use them in order to answer questions. A massive tip from me would be that if there’s a 6 mark question with equations, you probably need to work with more than one equation - possibly up to 3! I’d try and work through these as once you get it it’s worth so many marks.
4) For Maths, I’d go through the textbook and do practice questions. If you struggle with any practice questions, just ask your teacher for help and that should be useful for moving forwards.
5) Geography is just a memory game! Once you’ve got the essay technique (which if you haven’t, I’d recommend practicing some essays), you just need to remember info - I would do some notes and flashcards. This got me a 9 in geography! :smile:
6) I didn’t do music but I’m currently doing grade 5 music theory and grade 6 practical so I’ll let you know what I learnt from the theory in terms of revision techniques (may not be helpful tho, sorry). Practice questions was a big one, as was flashcards for remembering those musical terms and for remembering your keys and scales :smile:
7) Loved English Literature at GCSE! I got a 9 and honestly I owe it all to “Mr Salles Teaches English” YouTube channel. I watched all his videos called ‘all the themes of…eg. Macbeth’ and made posters on it and it was sooo useful. I watched his essay technique videos too and did practice essays for my teacher to mark. Flashcards for quotes are great too - have the quote on one side and analysis on the other.
8) For English Language, I would make flashcards identifying techniques (like metaphor etc.) and their definitions so that you remember which is which. I would also look at learning the essay technique - which you can find on Mr Salles’ YT as well (defo recommend!) the final thing would then be to do practice essays and get your teacher to mark them.

Btw I got my 7 in French so all these subjects above I’m offering advice for what got me an 8/9! Good luck :smile:

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. This looks very useful and I'll definitely watch those 'Mr Salles Teaches English' videos as English Lit/Lang is my weakest subject. (:
Honestly the best thing u can do is just practise and read the textbooks as they literally have exactly what the examiners are looking for in ur answers

I did pretty decent in my gcses, got an 8-7 in combined science (my highest) and 7s and 6s in the rest

I did the worst in English language becuz the last time I learnt it was in year 8 then we learnt it again in year 11 so we only had like 7 months to go thru it and I hated it so I never practised...i got a grade 4 but it got sent back for remarking where I gained an extra 3 marks which bumped me up to a 5

But that being said I did the same thing for history and went into the exam not even having revised or read a single page in my textbook (becuz my horrible teacher predicted my whole class fails so I didn't care) but came out with a grade 7 :confused:

Anyway just practise lol, mocks feel exactly the same as the actual GCSE so prepare for the mocks the way u wud in the actual exam
Reply 5
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi there,

AQA Biology -> 9
AQA Chemistry -> 5
AQA Physics -> 5
Edexcel Mathematics -> 7
Edexcel Geography -> 7
WJEC Music -> 6

what were the questions for english lit
Reply 6
Original post by kuzmus
what were the questions for english lit

It was a question from 'A Christmas Carol'. That would be unethical of me to share the questions with you - sorry!
Reply 7
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi there,

AQA Biology -> 9
AQA Chemistry -> 5
AQA Physics -> 5
Edexcel Mathematics -> 7
Edexcel Geography -> 7
WJEC Music -> 6

heyy uh what was the question or theme that was in the English literature 2020resit I really need it cause my yr9 was wasted cuz i had a teacher who had no idea what she was doing and i was stupid enough to think studying in school alone would've given me a grade8. im in year10 now and im doing my final mocks February and my 1st mock next week... thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by hdotzz
heyy uh what was the question or theme that was in the English literature 2020resit I really need it cause my yr9 was wasted cuz i had a teacher who had no idea what she was doing and i was stupid enough to think studying in school alone would've given me a grade8. im in year10 now and im doing my final mocks February and my 1st mock next week... thanks!

It's about Scrooge's transformation - I got a 6 without revising so I'm sure you'll be fine!
Reply 9
Original post by z4ra.x
It's about Scrooge's transformation - I got a 6 without revising so I'm sure you'll be fine!

omg thank you so much
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi there,

AQA Biology -> 9
AQA Chemistry -> 5
AQA Physics -> 5
Edexcel Mathematics -> 7
Edexcel Geography -> 7
WJEC Music -> 6

How did you get a 9 in biology? Any advice?
Reply 11
Original post by kayla306
How did you get a 9 in biology? Any advice

literally you just need the revision guide. ive read and made notes from it only once and got a 7(in yr9) then this year i started doing past papers(use physicsandmathstutor) and then done the topic tests which arent as important and that got me a 9 in the biology mock which was unseen for me(2020 biology re sit paper). hope that helps
Reply 12
Original post by kayla306
How did you get a 9 in biology? Any advice?

I did something very similar to @hdotzz but I also just did past papers. Whatever I tended to get incorrect, I made sure I remembered it and sometimes I made flashcards so I would never forget. I found that it definitely helped as some questions I did in my past papers came up in the actual exam.
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi there,

AQA Biology -> 9
AQA Chemistry -> 5
AQA Physics -> 5
Edexcel Mathematics -> 7
Edexcel Geography -> 7
WJEC Music -> 6

Hi there, sure I'd love to help out. check out this website "bytes of intelligence" on google and check their shop, they have some really great gcse notes. I used them and got all 9s.

for geography, remember to learn the markscheme for past paper questions and learn case studies!!
Original post by z4ra.x
I did something very similar to @hdotzz but I also just did past papers. Whatever I tended to get incorrect, I made sure I remembered it and sometimes I made flashcards so I would never forget. I found that it definitely helped as some questions I did in my past papers came up in the actual exam.

hii i was just wondering im curretnly in year 11 and do you think it'll be fine if i start doing past papers next week - like doing a past paper then where i got wrong just doing topic questions on that?

Quick Reply

Latest