The Student Room Group

Law or psychology

I was originally going to study psychology last year however I ended up doing an access course in psychology and sociology
Although I like psychology I'm not sure if it's worth doing if I don't like the research side of it. I already know I don't want to be a psychologist or a therapist.

I've been interested in law for a year now but I'm not sure if it would offer better job prospects if I decided to stick to a legal route. I absolutely love the human rights side of things and although I know I wouldn't want to be a barrister,I have an interest maybe being a solicitor .

My future aim is to go into social work however I need more work experience to be accepted on the course and due to my living situation I can't afford to not do a degree and hope I have somewhere to live for a year. My decision to do social work could change.

Also would psychology or law be more useful or relevant to social work.
Either way I'm going to need a masters.
Original post by Rose_99
I was originally going to study psychology last year however I ended up doing an access course in psychology and sociology
Although I like psychology I'm not sure if it's worth doing if I don't like the research side of it. I already know I don't want to be a psychologist or a therapist.

I've been interested in law for a year now but I'm not sure if it would offer better job prospects if I decided to stick to a legal route. I absolutely love the human rights side of things and although I know I wouldn't want to be a barrister,I have an interest maybe being a solicitor .

My future aim is to go into social work however I need more work experience to be accepted on the course and due to my living situation I can't afford to not do a degree and hope I have somewhere to live for a year. My decision to do social work could change.

@Rose_99
Hello!

I currently teach on an Access to HE Social Sciences pathway, but another capacity do support for learners who want to go into social work.

There is a great UCAS article on getting into social work here - https://www.ucas.com/careers-advice/employment/how-to-become-a/social-worker

Both Law and Psychology would be useful. I know that you need to know all the relevant legislation and protocols for social work, the various Children's Acts for instance. Psychology would help you to understand a lot of behaviour around services users. I know a lot of people that did a social science type degree (including Psychology/Sociology) who went on to do a masters in Social Work. Some people do an MSc or an MA in their social science subject and then do a conversion program to fast track into social work, there are quite a few opportunities to do that

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Rose_99

Have you considered LLB Law with Psychology?
Worth looking into.
Reply 3
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Have you considered LLB Law with Psychology?
Worth looking into.

I have but I feel the Universities are too far out for me
Original post by Rose_99
I have but I feel the Universities are too far out for me

Have a look. Quite a few unis offer this course.
Original post by Rose_99

HI Rose-99

I thought I would jump on here because I have done both a Law degree and a Psychology degree! I loved both.

After my psychology degree, I went into teaching. I am now on the Bar Practice Course training to be a barrister. Clearly standing up in front of people talking, is something I enjoy. I have previously worked with Social Services as a support worker too.

My advice would be to try out a vacation scheme/work experience at a law firm or the Government Legal Department so that you can see what is involved. Target law firms that work in human rights specifically.

Think carefully about the way you want to work, the hours, location, office or not, big team or working on your own, level of stress, for example and work out which career will suit you most. Both solicitor work and social work is client facing but social work will deal with seeing clients through a whole problem (and many causes) whilst law will see a client only through the legal problem and process. This might be a consideration for you too.

Any volunteer experience will help too- not just paid work so consider organisations like Citizens Advice or befriending schemes with social services. There is a lot to try out.

All the best with it!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest