The Student Room Group

SIR Model Demography

Does my graph looks right, not sure how to tes if it's correct , I used Euler method.

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It looks reasonable. It's mu, not meow, by the way!
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin

Why did you think it's reasonable ? Thanks I will correct it.
Original post by Great444
Why did you think it's reasonable ? Thanks I will correct it.

Just looks roughly reasonable shapes for the diff equations and experience of what these kind of things typically look like.

I've not ever formally done SIR models, but Covid has made experts of us all...
Reply 4
Just looks roughly reasonable shapes for the diff equations and experience of what these kind of things typically look like.

I've not ever formally done SIR models, but Covid has made experts of us all...

Thanks
Reply 5
Thanks

How do I figure out the steady states from the graph?
How do I figure out the steady states from the graph?

Just read them off, surely? (You might want to run over a longer period).

Are you sure you're not supposed to get them from the diff eqns? At steady state the derivatives would all be 0 and you get some simultaneous equations to solve.
Reply 7

Are you sure you're not supposed to get them from the diff eqns? At steady state the derivatives would all be 0 and you get some simultaneous equations to solve.

Yes I am which I did , but I have also to get them from the graph and compare between them, how do I get them from the graph ?Just read them off, surely? (You might want to run over a longer period).
Yes I am which I did , but I have also to get them from the graph and compare between them, how do I get them from the graph ?Just read them off, surely? (You might want to run over a longer period).

Was going to be a bit more explicit and found myself doubting your graph after all.

Shouldn't S+I+R always sum to 1? (Looking at the DEs it seems the sum of the 3 derivatives should be 0).
Reply 9
Was going to be a bit more explicit and found myself doubting your graph after all.

Shouldn't S+I+R always sum to 1? (Looking at the DEs it seems the sum of the 3 derivatives should be 0).

Check now
Check now

Still doesn't look right. If S is almost zero dS/dt should be mu (and so S should be growing).

Note that I'm merely eyeballing your charts. I'm not going to do my own simulation just to troubleshoot yours.
Still doesn't look right. If S is almost zero dS/dt should be mu (and so S should be growing).

Note that I'm merely eyeballing your charts. I'm not going to do my own simulation just to troubleshoot yours.

@Great444 for info.

wadr, I'd run the simulation on Excel and got identical results to the OP.

Although S gets close to zero, the βSI\beta S I term of dS/dt is of the same order of magnitude as μ\mu at that point.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12

Good idea, I'm waiting for the result :smile: I think it's right but not sure 100%
Reply 13
Original post by ghostwalker
@Great444 for info.

wadr, I'd run the simulation on Excel and got identical results to the OP.

Although S gets close to zero, the βSI\beta S I term of dS/dt is of the same order of magnitude as μ\mu at that point.

Does this mean it's correct?

Probably, or we both made the same mistake.

Although it shouldn't effect the steady state values, changing the step size does impact the graphs.

E.g. h=0.1 gives
Reply 16
Probably, or we both made the same mistake.

I don't think so.
Any idea about this ? Using suitable sources find a disease that you believe can be modelled accurately with the SIR model with demography.
Thank you
I don't think so.
Any idea about this ? Using suitable sources find a disease that you believe can be modelled accurately with the SIR model with demography.
Thank you

None. Think you might need a biologist on that one.
Reply 18
Although it shouldn't effect the steady state values, changing the step size does impact the graphs.

E.g. h=0.1 gives

S and I graph here look different than my graphs
Reply 19
S and I graph here look different than my graphs

Similar to this one, I thought I have to divide mu by (70*365)

Quick Reply

Latest