The Student Room Group

I can't focus

I'm not a dumb guy but I'm slow. I'm also seriosly lazy. I have an assignment tommorrow and I'm not doing it. I haven't gotten past the 2nd week on any of my pre recorded lectures (so there's a hell of a lot of them). I feel so stupid, I feel like I'm never going to amount to anything if I can't get through uni with the knowledge from this degree behind me. I want so bad to perfect this degree and I can't do anything except smoke weed and watch youtube. I can't accept that I'm not going to be successful and my dreams are not going to come true, it's scaring me to thing that I might have to settle for a worse job. I wan't to just give up so bad but I'd hate myself if I did. I suck at working, does that mean I'll be unsuccessful?
Reply 1
Just sit down with the intention of doing at least 5 minutes of work. It might not feel like much, but if you keep this habit going, naturally you may work for longer, and you fight back the laziness without even noticing. Good luck :smile:
You have a lot of things going on in your head that is leading you to behave in this manner. Seek help from a well-being counsellor at the uni to figure things out. Procrastination is a sure sign that something deeper is going on.
Bro, I am in final year and I feel the same. Because of that feeling and thinking I have left two programmes before. In total I've spent three years doing university and never gotten a degree from either university.

This time, my third attempt. I have got to final year and I may as well finish.

You will be unsuccessful if you don't make the best of the time you spent on whatever you put your mind to. In some occasions, you'll ace something in under a day, in other situations, you'll spend three days and still not get a pass mark. That is the nature of anything which tests you

For now, like someone mentioned above, just do it. Think of Nike. And be a nikey-boy for a second. Just do it. If you are focused, you'll get a good pass, and if you are unable to focus you'll miss a good pass mark. That's the end of it.

I will also second the other post about there potentially being something causing this. That's not a lie. In a time more appropriate to you (when you aren't dealing with exams and assignments) give yourself the time, space and thoughts for yourself - to figure out what's putting you off and limiting your self belief. A lot of the time, it is just in our heads. And that can be pinned down to everything that happens around us. So if you change the way you look at things, actively tell yourself to encourage yourself. You'll see steps in a direction to giving yourself more time to focus on what you intended to focus on
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not a dumb guy but I'm slow. I'm also seriosly lazy. I have an assignment tommorrow and I'm not doing it. I haven't gotten past the 2nd week on any of my pre recorded lectures (so there's a hell of a lot of them). I feel so stupid, I feel like I'm never going to amount to anything if I can't get through uni with the knowledge from this degree behind me. I want so bad to perfect this degree and I can't do anything except smoke weed and watch youtube. I can't accept that I'm not going to be successful and my dreams are not going to come true, it's scaring me to thing that I might have to settle for a worse job. I wan't to just give up so bad but I'd hate myself if I did. I suck at working, does that mean I'll be unsuccessful?

Hello,

It is definitely easy to become complacent with uni work, you are not alone there. If you really want to be successful in your degree than that is a really good start. You've got to find some motivation, whether that be a career goal in mind, or something like that. You've got to tell yourself that this is a stepping stone in your journey. I would start small, you can't expect yourself to start doing masses of work all at once, dedicate an hour a day and slowly increase that time studying.

This doesn't mean you won't be successful but if you want to get a good degree classification, you will need to put in the work. You won't regret it :smile:

Hope this helps

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending