The Student Room Group

Dad and partner guilty of killing six-year-old

A father and his partner have been found guilty of the killing of six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes.

The boy was tortured by Thomas Hughes and Emma Tustin, eventually dying of a head injury while in the care of his stepmother.

Tustin shook him and banged his head on a hard surface after poisoning him with salt, the court heard.

At Coventry Crown Court, Tustin was convicted of murder and Hughes found guilty of manslaughter.

The pair were also convicted of child cruelty charges.

Read more here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jesus..
Not knowing the details of the case it makes it a touch harder to form an opinion on why Hughes got, a relative, slap on the wrist and not the same given this looks like a joint enterprise, and an evil one at that.
I think its that she contributed more to the injuries. She actually recorded much of it on her phone. A truly vile pair. They should never see the light of day again
Now I believe there is such a thing as evil
Reply 4
This is like the British version of Gabriel Fernandez's case
Original post by swrhaa
This is like the British version of Gabriel Fernandez's case

500 to 600 children between ages 0 to 16 years old died at the hands of a parent care giver each year in USA most never get any publicity.
Also adults under the age of forty are more likely to be murder by a parent than the other why round. Child abuse efforts adults over the age of eighteen it doesn't stop at eighteen it becomes adult abuse.
An appalling pair of sadists.
The evil scumbags tortured Arthur to death inflicting daily brutality, starvation and terror upon him for the last 18 months of his life.
RIP Arthur.
Firing squad.
To be honest, with the treatment they are going to face inside at the hands of fellow inmates, I would want them to live as long as possible
Reply 9
I don't recommend watching it, but there's a video of the poor little boy crying out for attention and love. You can hear him say "Nobody loves me".

These two people, if you can even call them that, are the sickest, most evil I've come across. Selfish, narcissist, psychotic, cruel.
Original post by Barbu
I don't recommend watching it, but there's a video of the poor little boy crying out for attention and love. You can hear him say "Nobody loves me".

These two people, if you can even call them that, are the sickest, most evil I've come across. Selfish, narcissist, psychotic, cruel.

Do not call them animals because animals do not abuse their young like this. If only humans that appear to be so evil.
Original post by Barbu

I’ve seen the same. It’s heartbreaking.

Once again, another example of the social sector not doing its job because as I’ve mentioned on here before they absolutely insist on keeping the children with the parents.
A classic example of why I am in favour of the death penalty, I do not want to pay for a 3 star hotel stay for these.....devils
Original post by Napp
Jesus..
Not knowing the details of the case it makes it a touch harder to form an opinion on why Hughes got, a relative, slap on the wrist and not the same given this looks like a joint enterprise, and an evil one at that.

I think the jury were not sure beyond reasonable doubt that Hughes had an intention to kill or cause really serious injury.

Under the present law of joint enterprise, egging the principal on, on its own, is not enough. The secondary party has to have the requisite intention themselves.The press have been quoting a single damning message from Hughes but that was part of a much larger text correspondence and I suspect the rest of the correspondence was more ambiguous.
Original post by imlikeahermit
I’ve seen the same. It’s heartbreaking.

Once again, another example of the social sector not doing its job because as I’ve mentioned on here before they absolutely insist on keeping the children with the parents.

You are re-inventing the facts to fit your narrative.

This wasn't a case where the social workers excused poor parenting. They found nothing wrong with their care of Arthur, despite, it is said, plenty of red flags,
Original post by londonmyst
An appalling pair of sadists.
The evil scumbags tortured Arthur to death inflicting daily brutality, starvation and terror upon him for the last 18 months of his life.
RIP Arthur.

No they didn't.

Arthur was only in the care of Tustin for three months and third party concerns only started after Tustin moved into Hughes' house in March 2020.
Original post by caravaggio2
I think its that she contributed more to the injuries. She actually recorded much of it on her phone. A truly vile pair. They should never see the light of day again

She killed him. Hughes wasn't present when the assault that killed Arthur took place.
Original post by nulli tertius
You are re-inventing the facts to fit your narrative.

This wasn't a case where the social workers excused poor parenting. They found nothing wrong with their care of Arthur, despite, it is said, plenty of red flags,

That is precisely my point. Despite numerous red flags, bruises being reported etc they still did absolutely nothing. The social care sector is not fit for use; until they can concede that unfortunately more parents than they wish to see; are not fit to be parents.
Original post by nulli tertius
I think the jury were not sure beyond reasonable doubt that Hughes had an intention to kill or cause really serious injury.

Under the present law of joint enterprise, egging the principal on, on its own, is not enough. The secondary party has to have the requisite intention themselves.The press have been quoting a single damning message from Hughes but that was part of a much larger text correspondence and I suspect the rest of the correspondence was more ambiguous.

Hughes most of know that an adult woman hitting a six year old child could cause that child death.
Original post by The RAR
A classic example of why I am in favour of the death penalty, I do not want to pay for a 3 star hotel stay for these.....devils

Just to add here, I don’t believe that the death penalty would have been given out by the judge based off the sentencing given. Manslaughter in this country can bring with it a life sentence which the judge somehow did not see as reasonable in this case. It’s alright having the death penalty in place as a punishment but judges need to have the *******s to give it out. If this case doesn’t warrant life for manslaughter I don’t know what does. Absolutely piss poor out of touch soft shite sentencing yet again by a judiciary that seems intent on being as out with the times as they can be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending