The Student Room Group

Biology/Bioscience/Biomedical science: do you have to dissect organs and animals?

Just wondering if any biomedical science or biological science or biology majors could give input into whether your courses require animal or organ dissection? It may be a deal breaker for me if it’s required. Specifically looking at Exitir, York, Kent, Nottingham, and Keele.
I'm a 3rd year Biomedical Science student at Southampton University. In my first year, there was a 1st year practical that involved frog dissection, but it wasn't mandatory and you could opt out of it. In that case, they would give out a cartoon video example of the experiment and give you data to use for a report. The only other time I've encountered it was some 3rd year lab projects involved dissection/experiments on animals, but again you could easily opt out of this. My project doesn't involve any dissection.
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel161100
I'm a 3rd year Biomedical Science student at Southampton University. In my first year, there was a 1st year practical that involved frog dissection, but it wasn't mandatory and you could opt out of it. In that case, they would give out a cartoon video example of the experiment and give you data to use for a report. The only other time I've encountered it was some 3rd year lab projects involved dissection/experiments on animals, but again you could easily opt out of this. My project doesn't involve any dissection.

Thank you! That’s helpful. I wonder how
Much it varies between universities?
Original post by brubenow
Thank you! That’s helpful. I wonder how
Much it varies between universities?

If you can, see if you can find the email of the head of the school at the universities you're applying to. At my university we have a head of biological sciences and she oversees all the bioscience courses. If you can find the name of someone like this at the universities you're applying to you can always email them and ask.
Some universities have human anatomy (Sheffield ) but I haven't seen any where this is compulsory normally its an option.
Reply 5
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending