The Student Room Group

Midwifery interview advice 2022 applicants

Hey guys!
I am a sixth form student applying to do midwifery and was wondering if anyone could give interview tips?
I've been struggling to find information especially now as most unis are scrapping MMIs because the interviews are now online.
Any advice would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Agreed! I could really do with the help as well, hope you receive some answers soon
Any information on the topic would be really helpful I’m really stressed as I no one is telling me what to expect because it’s all about medicine students 🙄
Reply 3
Original post by Lolagcb17
Any information on the topic would be really helpful I’m really stressed as I no one is telling me what to expect because it’s all about medicine students 🙄

Straight facts no cap
Original post by Saz.w
Agreed! I could really do with the help as well, hope you receive some answers soon

Original post by Cez_6
Hey guys!
I am a sixth form student applying to do midwifery and was wondering if anyone could give interview tips?
I've been struggling to find information especially now as most unis are scrapping MMIs because the interviews are now online.

Hi guys

What do you want to know about midwifing interviews as I will do best to give you's advise on this.

MMI's was done at face to face interviews prior to covid19 and since them they hardly done any of these senorios mmi's.

They still use giving a picture and yous must explain what the picture about .
Below are some ideals to use okay for you's.

I'm a registered midwife .

It is important that you understand that midwifery is about caring for the pregnant mother, much more than it is caring for her newborn baby. You maybe asked questions that confirm that you understand the true nature of midwifery, such as:

Can you define the role of the midwife.....
Why have you chosen midwifery rather than paediatric nursing or adult or children nursing....
What do you know about the Nursing and Midwifery Council.....
Describe a typical day for a midwife.....
What are the current issues affecting midwifery.....
What experience do you have of midwifery......
How have you researched midwifery and what resources did you use........
What will be the best and worst parts of being a midwife........
The 6 C's of nursing .........

Personal midwifery university interview questions.......
Dealing with childbirth on a daily basis will be emotionally and personally challenging. Not every story has a happy ending, and not every child will have a good start in life. Your midwifery university interview will try to establish if you have the personal strengths to cope with this, by asking questions like:

What are the skills needed to be a good midwife...........
Describe how you have demonstrated these skills in the past.......
How would you deal with a stillbirth.…...( its hard to explain as everybody deals with this differently )...
Do you feel you can distance yourself enough from highly emotive situations.....
How would you balance clinical requirements with empathy and care.....
What are you like as a team worker......
When is it right to ask for help from a colleague or manager.... ( you should ask them whenever you need to as don't be afraid )....
What might stop you from becoming a good midwife and what are you doing to address this......
How do you think you will deal with the emotional rollercoaster of midwifery.....

Ethical midwifery university interview questions
The area of midwifery is fraught with ethical dilemmas, and it is important that you are able to deal with these as they occur in your everyday work. You will be asked about your thoughts on some of these issues such as:

Do you think it is selfish not to breast feed...... ( no as it's upto the individual mum whether she chooses this but we are encouraged to get them to do this ).......
Can you be too young or too old to be a mother........ ( no as woman as old as early 50's given birth or older like we hear about in some development countries ).....
Should a woman’s right to choose outweigh what’s best for the baby......
Should behaviour during pregnancy, such as drug use or smoking, affect the care given by a midwife.........
What would you do if you felt a mother’s birth choices put her baby at risk.....
A mother is aggressive and abusive to you. How would this affect your treatment of her........
A woman has been in painful labour for so long, she starts to exhibit very negative feelings towards her baby. How would you react..........
No family is perfect, but at what point should you step in to protect the newborn....
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi guys

What do you want to know about midwifing interviews as I will do best to give you's advise on this.

MMI's was done at face to face interviews prior to covid19 and since them they hardly done any of these senorios mmi's.

It is important that you understand that midwifery is about caring for the pregnant mother, much more than it is caring for her newborn baby. You maybe asked questions that confirm that you understand the true nature of midwifery, such as:

Why have you chosen midwifery rather than paediatric nursing or adult or children nursing....

Dealing with childbirth on a daily basis will be emotionally and personally challenging. Not every story has a happy ending, and not every child will have a good start in life. Your midwifery university interview will try to establish if you have the personal strengths to cope with this, by asking questions like:

How would you deal with a stillbirth.…...( its hard to explain as everybody deals with this differently )...
Do you feel you can distance yourself enough from highly emotive situations.....
When is it right to ask for help from a colleague or manager.... ( you should ask them whenever you need to as don't be afraid )....
What might stop you from becoming a good midwife and what are you doing to address this......
How do you think you will deal with the emotional rollercoaster of midwifery.....

The area of midwifery is fraught with ethical dilemmas, and it is important that you are able to deal with these as they occur in your everyday work. You will be asked about your thoughts on some of these issues such as:

Do you think it is selfish not to breast feed...... ( no as it's upto the individual mum whether she chooses this but we are encouraged to get them to do this ).......
Can you be too young or too old to be a mother........ ( no as woman as old as early 50's given birth or older like we hear about in some development countries ).....
Should behaviour during pregnancy, such as drug use or smoking, affect the care given by a midwife.........
What would you do if you felt a mother’s birth choices put her baby at risk.....
A mother is aggressive and abusive to you. How would this affect your treatment of her........
A woman has been in painful labour for so long, she starts to exhibit very negative feelings towards her baby. How would you react..........
No family is perfect, but at what point should you step in to protect the newborn....

Hey Tracey!
Thank you so much what you’ve put is really helpful!
I had no idea we might be shown an image and all the examples of questions is amazing.
I really appreciate it as I’m the only one in my school who wants to do midwifery so finding stuff has been challenging.
Thank you again!!
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi guys

thank you so much Tracey you have really come into clutch!
Reply 7
Original post by Cez_6
Hey Tracey!
I had no idea we might be shown an image and all the examples of questions is amazing.
I really appreciate it as I’m the only one in my school who wants to do midwifery so finding stuff has been challenging.
Thank you again!!

Hey Tracey,
I just had a few questions.
I have been told to look at journals such as essentially midirs do you have any suggestions on things I could read to keep up to date with current issues effecting midwifery?
Also do you know how long my answers should be to the questions?
Original post by Cez_6
Hey Tracey!
Thank you again!!

Hi Cez x

That's brilliant that you are the only one in your school who wish to become a midwife as its a unique privilege to do such a wonderful job.

Yes sometimes it's hard to find the stuff to research about midwifing can be challenging but looking at the internet ( things to do as a student midwife )

https://www.ucas.com subjects m... Midwifery - UCAS

https://www.rcn.org.uk become-a-...Become a midwife | Royal College of Nursing

Looking at information on the RCN website & UCAS is useful.

You may shown a image to describe about but every interview are done differently so that nobody can tell others what was done and said at it.

Hopefully these questions will be useful to you and others asking as remember you can be asked anything which really don't help potential students to revise.
thank you so much Tracey you have really come into clutch!

Hi

You are welcome ok as I hope that this will help you and the others with things.
Properly research about midwifing and put in a good performance at interview and see how it goes.

I'm here if you need things answered ok
Original post by Cez_6
Hey Tracey,
I just had a few questions.
I have been told to look at journals such as essentially midirs do you have any suggestions on things I could read to keep up to date with current issues effecting midwifery?
Also do you know how long my answers should be to the questions?

What are the current issues affecting midwifery in the UK?

Poor midwife retainment, increasing complexities of care, and the impact of Brexit on the workforce are among the issues highlighted by the college today in its new State of Maternity Services Report, which covers both England and Scotland.

The extra workload that midwifes in hospitals dealt with during covid19 with all the home births being diverted to hospital's maternity units but not getting any extra staff to help us as community midwifes stayed in the community while we struggled with things plus not enough beds to deal with it too.

Not enough qualified staff as well, depending on untrained students to help cover shortfall isn't right. Research this more obviously.

I would suggest to read some PDF downloads books on midwifing - say Anatomy & Pyshiology by Ross & Wilson .

Mayes’ Midwifery A Textbook for Midwives 14th Edition PDF

Fundamentals of Midwifery A Textbook for Students PDF

You'll need to look up these but put in. ( pdf midwifery books for students ).

I wouldn't sign up to any paid subscriptions till you are actually on a degree course and then university should tell you what is best for the course.

Try not to go on and one when answering questions at interviews but make sure you get your main points over with it..... With it being online you'll have less time probably to answer things when asked so reason why you make sure you put over your main points for that particular question ok.
Reply 11
This all fab! I don’t have my first interview (that I know of) until feb and I am panicking so much!
Original post by Jibbity
This all fab! I don’t have my first interview (that I know of) until feb and I am panicking so much!

Hi

Don't panic as not worth it as you'll be fine with your interview when you eventually have it in February.

Just revise the things you should have been supplied with plus use what I already posted previously in posts on this thread as will be useful to you okay.
Original post by Cez_6
Hey guys!

Just so you know, I’m a recent applicant and MMIs are definitely still in use for online interviews at some universities! Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I was successful at interview xx
Original post by Cez_6
Hey guys!

What A levels did you take ?
Reply 15
Original post by Cez_6
Hey guys!

Original post by Saz.w

Hi, I did my midwifery interview in 2019 and here are the questions I remember I was asked
1) why do you want to be a midwife
2) how do you resolve conflict
3) picture based scenario questions - implement 6 Cs in these
4) what website sources do you use to keep yourself updated with midwifery related articles
5) midwifery health related issues in the news
7) why their uni
I doubt they will ask you comprehensive midwifery relate questions as you have not yet started the course but it’s always good to read more about the course you’re entering into!
Etc these are the ones I remember I was asked at the moment
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by fifi789
Hi, I did my midwifery interview in 2019 and here are the questions I remember I was asked
1) why do you want to be a midwife
2) how do you resolve conflict
3) picture based scenario questions - implement 6 Cs in these
4) what website sources do you use to keep yourself updated with midwifery related articles
5) midwifery health related issues in the news
7) why their uni
I doubt they will ask you comprehensive midwifery relate questions as you have not yet started the course but it’s always good to read more about the course you’re entering into!
Etc these are the ones I remember I was asked at the moment

I did my midwifery interview in early 2016 and I qualified in 2019.
The questioning and th the way they been doing interviews last two years is obviously different from how you did it in 2019 likewise with myself with mines. We had more time at the interview compared to small limited time that they been getting recently which isn't enough time to determine a potential candidate for nursing courses.
Hi, does anyone have advice on how to answer the picture scenario questions? I had these in my interview last year and didn't know how to answer them
Reply 18
Original post by SallySoutar
Hi, does anyone have advice on how to answer the picture scenario questions? I had these in my interview last year and didn't know how to answer them

All you can do is your upmost best with describing the picture scenarios. Try to remember what you did last year with this.

Unfortunately nobody can tell you because they won't know what picture's etc each person is being asked to describe about plus it wouldn't be fair for others candidates.
Reply 19
First, it's important to remember that the interview is your chance to sell yourself to the university. So, be prepared to talk about your passion for midwifery, your skills and experience, and why you're a good fit for the program

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending