Mental health Nursing

Watch this thread
Clairemack7475
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,
I want to study memtsl health nursing as a mature student next year. I was wondering can you be accepted onto any of these courses if you have a disability such as MS, arthritis or have suffered from depression in the past? I got told the other day that if someone has suffered from depression then some universities don't accept them. If you have to disclose your medical records, then any medical condition you had or have will be there in black and white. I just wondered is there anyone else out there who has successfully been accepted on, and completed these courses with a health condition? Thanks in advance.
Anayaanaya
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Clairemack7475)
Hi all,
I want to study memtsl health nursing as a mature student next year. I was wondering can you be accepted onto any of these courses if you have a disability such as MS, arthritis or have suffered from depression in the past? I got told the other day that if someone has suffered from depression then some universities don't accept them. If you have to disclose your medical records, then any medical condition you had or have will be there in black and white. I just wondered is there anyone else out there who has successfully been accepted on, and completed these courses with a health condition? Thanks in advance.
They would not discriminate you for this, if anything shows you have first hand experience.

However, as long as the condition is under control and you are not at risk to yourself or to patients it would not be a issue.

It is a disabilty so against the law to hold that against you aslong as no risk as mentioned.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Clairemack7475)
Hi all,
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. Universities can't discriminate because of past medical history like yours. You'll have to have occupational health clearing to start the course - but that applies to everyone single nursing student, not just you, and it's to make sure you're safe to start the course. I studied alongside student nurses actively struggling with mental health issues! So, you have to declare any medical issues to OH so that they can assess whether you're good to go and if there's any reasonable adjustments that need making for you. They only have access to your records if you allow them to ask your GP... and that's only for info relating to what you've disclosed, not absolutely everything. Just be prepared to stand your ground that your depression was very definitely in the past and you're currently not suffering with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
66.67%
No (29)
22.48%
I didn't use it to prepare (14)
10.85%

Watched Threads