The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance?

So i've applied for university at Glasgow, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Dundee for Law (either Scots Law or Dual qualifying both English and Scottish Law). My predicted grades at the moment of sending off my UCAS application are B C D I believe. However, these are just due to mental health and recently I have been working towards an A for all subjects however, we have not yet had a progress review to show this just yet. Oh and I'm taking an Extended Project Qualification. Anyways, I honestly believe I will most definitely get the target grades for these universities, although that will not be displayed until my actual A-Levels. Considering my good grades at GCSE and brief mention of mental health in my UCAS application, will these universities still give me an offer? I heard they base their responses purely off our predicted grades at this current time and it honestly scares me as I know that is most certainly not my potential. Does anyone, who is currently at university or specifically one of these have any advice? possible situations they themselves have found to receive contextual offers in?
Reply 1
Doesn't Glasgow and Edinburgh have higher grade requirements? I am aware that there is contextual offers too though.
Original post by cigaretteash
So i've applied for university at Glasgow, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Dundee for Law (either Scots Law or Dual qualifying both English and Scottish Law). My predicted grades at the moment of sending off my UCAS application are B C D I believe. However, these are just due to mental health and recently I have been working towards an A for all subjects however, we have not yet had a progress review to show this just yet. Oh and I'm taking an Extended Project Qualification. Anyways, I honestly believe I will most definitely get the target grades for these universities, although that will not be displayed until my actual A-Levels. Considering my good grades at GCSE and brief mention of mental health in my UCAS application, will these universities still give me an offer? I heard they base their responses purely off our predicted grades at this current time and it honestly scares me as I know that is most certainly not my potential. Does anyone, who is currently at university or specifically one of these have any advice? possible situations they themselves have found to receive contextual offers in?

Hey there @cigaretteash :biggrin:
Our faculties make admissions decisions based on individual's potential to succeed in the degree course, and we'll take your full application in to consideration. I can't guarantee that you will definitely be made an offer, but I can say that we won't be looking solely at your predicted grades and we'll read the Personal Statement and the Reference and make an offer where we can.

My main advice is try not to panic! You've done your best and it's out of your control now - there's nothing further you can do other than keep your head down and study well to bump your grades up :yep: Treat every piece of coursework and hand-in like it contributes towards your grade and get yourself in a good working mindset. Little by little things will feel more manageable.

Would you like to pop me a PM over and we can chat in more detail? You can send me your UCAS ID if you'd like and I can have a look at your application :smile:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Realistically, you're not going to get an offer from these universities for law at a BCD prediction - MH or no MH. It's just not going to happen.

If you're confident of getting the grades you'd need, then you'd be best off declining any offers you receive from other universities this year and reapplying with achieved, rather than predicted grades.

You don't get contextual offers due to mental health issues - they're for socioeconomic disadvantage.
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey there @cigaretteash :biggrin:
Our faculties make admissions decisions based on individual's potential to succeed in the degree course, and we'll take your full application in to consideration. I can't guarantee that you will definitely be made an offer, but I can say that we won't be looking solely at your predicted grades and we'll read the Personal Statement and the Reference and make an offer where we can.

My main advice is try not to panic! You've done your best and it's out of your control now - there's nothing further you can do other than keep your head down and study well to bump your grades up :yep: Treat every piece of coursework and hand-in like it contributes towards your grade and get yourself in a good working mindset. Little by little things will feel more manageable.

Would you like to pop me a PM over and we can chat in more detail? You can send me your UCAS ID if you'd like and I can have a look at your application :smile:

Is this really realistic advice for the candidate? How many non-contextual offers for law has Strathclyde made based on a predicted BCD?

I also have a problem with your offering to personally review this candidate's UCAS application (even going so far as to ask for his UCAS ID). Will you be offering this personal service to every candidate who has applied? It's important to be even-handed and totally transparent about applications, and offering to review an application via PM based on a post on TSR really isn't OK.

Do you work in Admissions, or are you a student rep?
Original post by Reality Check
Is this really realistic advice for the candidate? How many non-contextual offers for law has Strathclyde made based on a predicted BCD?

I also have a problem with your offering to personally review this candidate's UCAS application (even going so far as to ask for his UCAS ID). Will you be offering this personal service to every candidate who has applied? It's important to be even-handed and totally transparent about applications, and offering to review an application via PM based on a post on TSR really isn't OK.

Do you work in Admissions, or are you a student rep?

Hello @Reality Check :smile: Thanks for your message! I'm a staff member at the university.

The reason I'd asked for the UCAS ID (and this was totally optional) was so I could see the full application and offer some reassurance based on this. It wouldn't impact the decison on their application at all and I didn't offer to review it. No changes would be able to be made at this stage to the application anyway. I would absolutely have a quick check of anyone's UCAS ID if it offers some reassurance. Applying to university is stressful and if I'm able to help in any way- even if it's just to say I can see their application and that my colleagues will be making a decision in due course.

My role here is solely to offer any form of guidance I can. Sometimes I feel it's easier to speak to applicants one-to-one rather than in a public forum.

Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hello @Reality Check :smile: Thanks for your message! I'm a staff member at the university.

The reason I'd asked for the UCAS ID (and this was totally optional) was so I could see the full application and offer some reassurance based on this. It wouldn't impact the decison on their application at all and I didn't offer to review it. No changes would be able to be made at this stage to the application anyway. I would absolutely have a quick check of anyone's UCAS ID if it offers some reassurance. Applying to university is stressful and if I'm able to help in any way- even if it's just to say I can see their application and that my colleagues will be making a decision in due course.

My role here is solely to offer any form of guidance I can. Sometimes I feel it's easier to speak to applicants one-to-one rather than in a public forum.

Thanks for that, Caitlin. I know you're only being helpful and have the best intentions, but you must be able to see that offering to look at an applicant's UCAS application via PM is going to open you up to accusations of not being even-handed, or offering a service to people who post on TSR which is not available to other applicants who might not have seen this forum or this thread?

I do think we need to be a bit Caesar's Wife about this - even though I'm certain that you are not offering this, or any other applicant, special treatment, I think it's unwise to offer things like this on an ad hoc basis via posts on the open forum. TSR is prone to over-reaction and assumptions of bad faith at the best of times :smile:

This really depends on how each of your choices weight the predictions in their assessment, (or indeed if they use the predicted grades at all, some may prefer to look at your achieved grades).

I haven't looked at the typical offers for each, but realistically if you are 2 grades below and they use predictions for a reasonably significant part of their selection, then you are very unlikely to get an offer.

As your AL's have been affected by MH concerns then I would highly recommend that you look into each unis mitigating circumstances process. This is usually a form for you or your school to complete. You should do this ASAP before your application is considered. It's important to note that this usually does not mean that the unis will waive their normal selection process, however it may give them some more context as to your current performance. I'd also note that the unis may request some form of evidence, such as a doctors note. However some may be a bit more flexible and would be happy to take your school's word that you have had time off for health reasons.

Finally, just to say that it is not the end of the world if you don't get offers back. If you outperform your current predictions then you may have some good options in Clearing. If not, a gap year and then reapplying with achieved grades is a very viable option. I appreciate that many students feel that this is 'falling behind a year' and are keen to crack on, but Law in particular is a degree and career that values super-curriculars so there is plenty you can do to strengthen your profile in the meantime.

(Thank you for the tag @Reality Check)
Original post by Reality Check
Realistically, you're not going to get an offer from these universities for law at a BCD prediction - MH or no MH. It's just not going to happen.

If you're confident of getting the grades you'd need, then you'd be best off declining any offers you receive from other universities this year and reapplying with achieved, rather than predicted grades.

You don't get contextual offers due to mental health issues - they're for socioeconomic disadvantage.

So far I’ve managed to hear back from Dundee actually! They’ve given me a conditional offer of ABB, which I’m pretty certain I’m capable of.
I knew the predicted grades looked pretty bad however I also knew they were not an accurate reflection of my capabilities. I suppose I just posted this into curiosity of how much they take predicted grades into account. As I have a pretty great personal statement, have an EPQ running, have a short law course I’m taking in the weekend in London which was pretty pricey- and our year was greatly affected by COVID. I do understand your point though, quite literally a ‘reality check’. I am considering clearing (if I get high grades in the finals) for Edinburgh or Glasgow
So far I’ve managed to hear back from Dundee actually! They’ve given me a conditional offer of ABB, which I’m pretty certain I’m capable of.
I knew the predicted grades looked pretty bad however I also khi new they were not an accurate reflection of my capabilities. I suppose I just posted this into curiosity of how much they take predicted grades into account. As I have a pretty great personal statement, have an EPQ running, have a short law course I’m taking in the weekend in London which was pretty pricey- and our year was greatly affected by COVID. I do understand your point though, quite literally a ‘reality check’. I am considering clearing (if I get high grades in the finals) for Edinburgh or Glasgow

that's so great to hear! I have a similar problem by the way. I had pretty bad AS results of ABD due to some personal issues but I got a decent predicted grade. I am also wondering whether how significant is the results compared to personal statement and reference letter. May I know whether you mentioned about the reasons behind your predicted grades on your personal statement and the reference letter by the teachers?
Original post by princessfrog
that's so great to hear! I have a similar problem by the way. I had pretty bad AS results of ABD due to some personal issues but I got a decent predicted grade. I am also wondering whether how significant is the results compared to personal statement and reference letter. May I know whether you mentioned about the reasons behind your predicted grades on your personal statement and the reference letter by the teachers?

I don’t think so. I mentioned about mental health being an issue when filling in personal details in the UCAS form, but no mention of it in my personal statement. There was a brief mention of it in my reference but very minimum, mainly because my headteacher isn’t very fond of me or believing that I was anything other than “lazy” during that time
I don’t think so. I mentioned about mental health being an issue when filling in personal details in the UCAS form, but no mention of it in my personal statement. There was a brief mention of it in my reference but very minimum, mainly because my headteacher isn’t very fond of me or believing that I was anything other than “lazy” during that time

Thank you so much. Just one more question, may I know which sections in UCAS have you mentioned it and did you provide any evidence by the doctor or anything on it and to your teachers? And did you apply as a contextual application or a standard application? Also wishing you really good luck with your applications !!
Original post by princessfrog
And did you apply as a contextual application or a standard application?

You don’t submit a contextual application. The Uni checks whether you meet their contextual criteria based on socio-economic data that is provided to them automatically. If you are successful then you receive a reduced offer. Contextual offers are separate from health issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending