The Student Room Group

Mathematics vs Further Mathematics

I did mocks in October and got a low 7 without any revision. I passed my 11+ so should have some sort of natural ability.

I have to make applications soon.

Obviously further maths is more difficult but more valuable, especially for universities.

What are your experiences?

Also, I am in the higher band of a public school out of choice, so am not in a grammar. I could go to a grammar school's sixth form if I get an 8 (I am eligible in all my other subjects currently)
Natural ability is a load of horse ****. Unless you are an actual child prodigy like Terrence Tao, natural ability will fail you once you get to A levels or university.

Take further maths if you actually want to do it. Don't just do it because its "more valuable". If you don't like further maths A level then there is a good chance you will probably not like the courses it's required for.

I am currently doing A2 further maths and I'm finding the content to be quite fun although, I struggle to keep up at times given that you have to take 2 applied modules along side the main pure module. But overall, I'm really glad I'm taking it and I do not regret it.
Original post by 1nsig
I did mocks in October and got a low 7 without any revision. I passed my 11+ so should have some sort of natural ability.

Obviously further maths is more difficult but more valuable, especially for universities.

Also, I am in the higher band of a public school out of choice, so am not in a grammar. I could go to a grammar school's sixth form if I get an 8 (I am eligible in all my other subjects currently)

You are in an independent school?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
You are in an independent school?

I'm in a public school, I had the option to go to grammar but chose to go here. It's the other end of the spectrum tbh, most people here are on benefits, and there are 2 higher classes and the rest are foundation.
Original post by 1nsig
I'm in a public school, I had the option to go to grammar but chose to go here. It's the other end of the spectrum tbh, most people here are on benefits, and there are 2 higher classes and the rest are foundation.

A public school? Do you mean a state school because public = independent (ie private)
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
A public school? Do you mean a state school because public = independent (ie private)

Oh, does public not mean that it's for the public? State school then, free school, paid by government
Original post by 1nsig
Oh, does public not mean that it's for the public? State school then, free school, paid by government

No ironically 'public' in this sense doesn't!

A Grammar will usually require a maths GCSE grade 8/9 for FMaths ... take it if you love Maths :smile:
Original post by 1nsig

If you're getting 7s at GCSE maths then I wouldn't recommend it. Most people who do it get 9s in GCSE maths with minimal revision, but if you think you would find it interesting then go for it! Just make sure you're doing subjects you enjoy because otherwise you will have 0 motivation (speaking from experience cause I took physics lol)...
Reply 8
Original post by sc0rrie
If you're getting 7s at GCSE maths then I wouldn't recommend it. Most people who do it get 9s in GCSE maths with minimal revision, but if you think you would find it interesting then go for it! Just make sure you're doing subjects you enjoy because otherwise you will have 0 motivation (speaking from experience cause I took physics lol)...

Nobody gets grade 9 with minimal revision. People work super hard to get there but may not show it.
Original post by Honey57
Nobody gets grade 9 with minimal revision. People work super hard to get there but may not show it.

i did (with no revision) but thats probs unrealistic idk lmao
i think the people in my further maths class must be unusually smart then
Original post by Honey57

I did no revision for two years and got the highest mark in maths in my school-it happens, but it’s just laziness(made me laugh lol).

Quick Reply

Latest