The Student Room Group

how can I find more primary sources?

my tutors said to use more primary sources in my essay but they're so hard to find??? they said it's ideal if you don't use secondary sources but most of my sources are from secondary sources (and that if you haven't read a source, don't include it) and the primary sources which I've used are too old. How can I find more primary sources?
Original post by agnos987
my tutors said to use more primary sources in my essay but they're so hard to find??? they said it's ideal if you don't use secondary sources but most of my sources are from secondary sources (and that if you haven't read a source, don't include it) and the primary sources which I've used are too old. How can I find more primary sources?

Why don't you try to find the sources that the secondary material is citing? That way you can read them and check that the sources actually reflect the point you want to make.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Why don't you try to find the sources that the secondary material is citing? That way you can read them and check that the sources actually reflect the point you want to make.

yeah I tried doing that but then my tutor said for me to cite the secondary source? They were also questioning whether I actually read the primary source, which I did
the best thing for you to do is go and see your subject Librarian and they will help you. Librarians are great.

I know its a bit hard but a lot of books are primary sources and just paraphrase a lot or try to.
yeah I tried doing that but then my tutor said for me to cite the secondary source? They were also questioning whether I actually read the primary source, which I did

How did they know you learnt of the primary source through a secondary source? You could have come across it organically, surely.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
How did they know you learnt of the primary source through a secondary source? You could have come across it organically, surely.

exactly :confused:
Reply 7
What subject/discipline?
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
What subject/discipline?

psychology

Quick Reply

Latest