The Student Room Group

Hit a parked car

So I’ve been served with a notice of failure to stop and and exchange third party details and something else I’ve forgotten.

I know it was my fault I had panicked and left. I know it’s a **** move and wish I could take it back but I cant.

Anyone know what I should do? They’ve given a form that I have to send back but anyone know what the likely outcome is?

For context Im a new driver, been driving few months and got no points.

I think there were also witnesses. I just fear prosecution and having the charge, I wouldn’t mind getting points, a fine or even disqualification.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been served with a notice of failure to stop and and exchange third party details and something else I’ve forgotten.

I know it was my fault I had panicked and left. I know it’s a **** move and wish I could take it back but I cant.

Anyone know what I should do? They’ve given a form that I have to send back but anyone know what the likely outcome is?

I think there were also witnesses. I just fear prosecution and having the charge, I wouldn’t mind getting points, a fine or even disqualification.

I also got a minor scratch on my car, not sure about the other one though.
"Anyone know what I should do?"

Own up???
Reply 3

You may lose your licence. You can receive 5-10 penalty points for this offence. If you get 6, that's your licence gone.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
"Anyone know what I should do?"

Own up???

Well yeah I mean in terms of legal advice
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
You may lose your licence. You can receive 5-10 penalty points for this offence. If you get 6, that's your licence gone.

I don’t mind that as it’s the consequences of my own actions I just needed to know whether I’d need to seek legal advice if it went to court
who sent you the form and what does it say
I don’t mind that as it’s the consequences of my own actions I just needed to know whether I’d need to seek legal advice if it went to court

I would. Assuming we're talking about a criminal complaint.
Reply 8
I would be inclined to be completely honest. These things happen you’ll not be the first to drive off, from what you describe it’s not the gravest of offences and the most lenient treatment is likely to be if you own up, show remorse and don’t waste time trying to cover things up further. But no harm in getting some legal advice. You could try your insurance company, a legal drop in centre or even citizens advice.

https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/failing-to-stop-or-report-an-accident-faqs/
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kutie Karen
who sent you the form and what does it say

The police and it’s a notice of intended prosecution
Original post by StriderHort
I would. Assuming we're talking about a criminal complaint.

I guess I had assumed the courts would give me my punishment without taking me to court as it’s a minor offence, there was no injury or death
Original post by Zarek
I would be inclined to be completely honest. These things happen you’ll not be the first to drive off, from what you describe it’s not the gravest of offences and the most lenient treatment is likely to be if you own up, show remorse and don’t waste time trying to cover things up further. But no harm in getting some legal advice. You could try your insurance company, a legal drop in centre or even citizens advice.

https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/failing-to-stop-or-report-an-accident-faqs/

Yeah that’s the plan I see no point lying about it and I want to come completely clean as I genuinely do feel horrible about what I’ve done and thank you. I’ve rang up a solicitor who just said if Im pleading guilty Ill be offered a duty solicitor and to just take that on the day and see what happens
I guess I had assumed the courts would give me my punishment without taking me to court as it’s a minor offence, there was no injury or death

Yeah...that assumption? that is exactly why you get legal advice, don't try and deal with the court yourself over a criminal matter unless you're v sure of yourself IMO. We're not talking about a speeding or parking ticket.

Failing to stop after an accident isn't 'a minor offence', like a parking ticket might be. An AC10 conviction for failure to stop gives you a four-year license endorsement which will seriously affect your car insurance availability and price, and anything from 5–10 penalty points. It really isn't 'minor'.

I'd get some decent legal advice if I were you.
Reply 14

It's not a minor offence whatsoever.

The Police, courts, insurers, and general public all frown heavily on scumbags fleeing the scene of an accident.
I’ve rang up a solicitor who just said if Im pleading guilty Ill be offered a duty solicitor and to just take that on the day and see what happens

I'm honestly no expert here, but that sounds a bit like they've just fobbed you off to get you off the phone. Did they even ask for and review a copy of the complaint against you from the court?

Whenever I call my lawyer about something I'm accused of, v first thing he asks for is the case/complaint notes to see exactly what the situation is then they get back to me, they wouldn't trust my layman's biased interpretation of it.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
It's not a minor offence whatsoever.

The Police, courts, insurers, and general public all frown heavily on scumbags fleeing the scene of an accident.

Hitting an unattended parked car causing minor damage and not reporting it, while clearly dishonest would hardly be dramatised as ‘fleeing the scene of an accident’. I think many people would at least contemplate this if the damage was very minor and they felt it was unwitnessed
Reply 17
Original post by Zarek
Hitting an unattended parked car causing minor damage and not reporting it, while clearly dishonest would hardly be dramatised as ‘fleeing the scene of an accident’. I think many people would at least contemplate this if the damage was very minor and they felt it was unwitnessed

That's exactly what it is in law, hence the prosecution......

The punishments layed out in the sentencing guidelines are deliberately strict.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zarek

IMO the police/court complaint in progress makes is serious enough, regardless of how the incident is labelled.

I also feel the 'many would drive off...' is out of date.. at this point anyone can snap a phone photo of you out a window or parked car in seconds and social media has 1000s of local groups who actively share and report these. Also the increasing % of vehicles with bump triggered cameras and CCTV in general.. I'd be a lot more wary to walk away from any sort of contact that I might have been say 15-20 years ago.
Reply 19
Original post by StriderHort
IMO the police/court complaint in progress makes is serious enough, regardless of how the incident is labelled.

I also feel the 'many would drive off...' is out of date.. at this point anyone can snap a phone photo of you out a window or parked car in seconds and social media has 1000s of local groups who actively share and report these. Also the increasing % of vehicles with bump triggered cameras and CCTV in general.. I'd be a lot more wary to walk away from any sort of contact that I might have been say 15-20 years ago.

Absolutely. Personally I think the speeding and other impatient behaviour seen everywhere and seldom cracked down on is a greater concern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending