The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megacent
I make those comparisons because I genuinely fear we are headed down the same road. The Nazi government started calling jews and anyone else they didn't like "disease vectors" to turn the public against them. Goebbels made a speech about "losing patience" with them, and now we've got Biden making very similar comments about "losing patience" with the unvaccinated. Australia is putting people in "quarantine facilities" despite them not committing any crime. We saw what happened the last time a government started sending people to the camps. We know where this is ultimately going to end. So what exactly do you find disgusting about the comparison? Do you think the comparisons are wrong, or that any good can come from dehumanizing certain groups of people and sending them to camps?

I find it disgusting because as @imlikeahermit and I point out wearing a mask is something you can change i.e you're able to wear a mask but you simply choose not to. Me being from 2 marginalised groups is not something I can change i.e I can't just say one day oh I'm not going to be part of those groups anymore so that I don't have to face the discrimination that I receive from being in those groups be it slavery, ableism and whatnot. Please don't compare someone who refuses to wear a mask to my backside, like I don't respect myself but come on man I want just a tiny bit of dignity.

This literally reminds me of that vegan teacher who's out and about trying to convince us that vegans face systemic oppression, like bro what has the world become. So many people playing the victim card 24/7. I can change my vaccination status and wear a mask providing that I don't have a legitimate exemption, I can't change my race, sex, sexuality etc. Not wearing a mask is a choice i.e you willing choose not to wear a mask and requires no effort to wear one unlike the vaccine (requires effort and some people are genuinely concerned about the jab), being from a legitimately marginalised group (not a choice) is not.

Also in regards to the disease vector point you are being called a disease vector not only because some people don't like you but also because scientifically you are one as you're more likely to spread the virus. I'm a disease vector too as I go to an educational setting where it's overcrowded so I'm also more likely to catch and spread the virus (schools have been breeding grounds for the virus however much this pathetic government would like to deny it and how ever much I am against closing schools).

I also want links showing where NHS workers are being this bad and saying that unvaccinated people should not receive COVID treatment. 3rd time I've asked.

And finally we are nowhere near Australian Draconian style level of restrictions. Social distancing rules are gone, large gatherings are legally allowed (despite being discouraged), everything is pretty much fully open now as of posting. Hopefully the government doesn't do a 4th national lockdown or vaccine passports because by that point I'll be done and gone.
I make those comparisons because I genuinely fear we are headed down the same road. The Nazi government started calling jews and anyone else they didn't like "disease vectors" to turn the public against them. Goebbels made a speech about "losing patience" with them, and now we've got Biden making very similar comments about "losing patience" with the unvaccinated. Australia is putting people in "quarantine facilities" despite them not committing any crime. We saw what happened the last time a government started sending people to the camps. We know where this is ultimately going to end. So what exactly do you find disgusting about the comparison? Do you think the comparisons are wrong, or that any good can come from dehumanizing certain groups of people and sending them to camps?

It's also disgusting as it's frankly insulting to the families who have been through the Holocaust, Slavery, discrimination, bullying etc.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I also want links showing where NHS workers are being this bad and saying that unvaccinated people should not receive COVID treatment. 3rd time I've asked.

And finally we are nowhere near Australian Draconian style level of restrictions. Social distancing rules are gone, large gatherings are legally allowed (despite being discouraged), everything is pretty much fully open now as of posting. Hopefully the government doesn't do a 4th national lockdown or vaccine passports because by that point I'll be done and gone.

Not sure what you mean by comparing something to your backside :confused: You are the only one who has mentioned it...

I don't have much respect for the NHS and think they have been a disgrace throughout this pandemic. I really struggled mentally with the lockdowns, and seeing videos of dancing NHS workers felt like a betrayal. I wanted to be out socializing and dancing with my friends, but I wasn't allowed. I stayed at home because I believed the hospitals were "completely overwhelmed". Then I see that they aren't actually overwhelmed at all, because they've clearly got plenty of time to prat around dancing on tables. It felt like these NHS workers were laughing at the public, rubbing our nose in the fact they could dance with their friends while we were stuck at home. I felt extremely hurt and betrayed. And I think they were wrong to cancel lots of other things to focus on covid. It's like they decided to just stop caring about anything else and focus purely on one virus.
It's also disgusting as it's frankly insulting to the families who have been through the Holocaust, Slavery, discrimination, bullying etc.

I disagree. I think families who have been through those atrocities would want to ensure above all that it never happens to anyone else. And with some of the things that have been going on, I'm worried we could very well see a repeat of those horrors unless we remember the lessons from history. Remember that the Holocaust didn't start with mass murder. It started small, certain groups being marginalized and shunned, dehumanized. The government was calling people "disease vectors" and saying they were "losing patience". Sound familiar? And look what that ultimately led to.

I'm not comparing the situation now to any of those atrocities at their height, I'm saying the situation now feels a bit like the start of something sinister...
I disagree. I think families who have been through those atrocities would want to ensure above all that it never happens to anyone else. And with some of the things that have been going on, I'm worried we could very well see a repeat of those horrors unless we remember the lessons from history. Remember that the Holocaust didn't start with mass murder. It started small, certain groups being marginalized and shunned, dehumanized. The government was calling people "disease vectors" and saying they were "losing patience". Sound familiar? And look what that ultimately led to.

I'm not comparing the situation now to any of those atrocities at their height, I'm saying the situation now feels a bit like the start of something sinister...

TSR is not the right venue for these type of online discussions when it comes to mandatory facial coverings and other authoritarian pandemic restrictions. :smile:
Have you checked out the Daily Sceptic website?
The mods are almost certain to go over this thread checking over all comments, issuing warnings and locking it- as has happened with many other covid threads.
Every living person is a "disease vector" including people who wear masks 24/7 and are fully vaxxed.

People need to toughen up.
Not sure what you mean by comparing something to your backside :confused: You are the only one who has mentioned it...

I don't have much respect for the NHS and think they have been a disgrace throughout this pandemic. I really struggled mentally with the lockdowns, and seeing videos of dancing NHS workers felt like a betrayal. I wanted to be out socializing and dancing with my friends, but I wasn't allowed. I stayed at home because I believed the hospitals were "completely overwhelmed". Then I see that they aren't actually overwhelmed at all, because they've clearly got plenty of time to prat around dancing on tables. It felt like these NHS workers were laughing at the public, rubbing our nose in the fact they could dance with their friends while we were stuck at home. I felt extremely hurt and betrayed. And I think they were wrong to cancel lots of other things to focus on covid. It's like they decided to just stop caring about anything else and focus purely on one virus.

What i mean that that you're comparing what people who refuse to wear a mask have to go through with someone like myself who is black hence why I keep saying this. You're comparing what someone like myself has to go through for something that I can't change to someone who dislikes wearing masks to the point where they willingly choose not to wear a mask, then have the audacity to believe that what they're going through is the same nonsense that my ancestors had to go through (mass pain and suffering for something that they couldn't change).

I dislike wearing a mask strongly but I wouldn't stoop to such low of level via playing the victim card and genuinely trying to convince people that me wearing a mask that I hate wearing is the same thing/is becoming as what a jew have to go through during the Holocaust, what salves had to go through, what disabled and other marginalised groups have to go through etc. Hence why I'm on Hermit's side on this one and partially on ST's side.

As @londonmyst and other users say this isn't the thread to be making such insensitive and some might say silly comparisons. Wear the mask or simply avoid places where a mask is required or complain to your local MP or something. It really isn't that hard. Sick of people playing that victim card man.

BTW: even if it's only the start the points still stand.

Also for the nth time can you please post a link showing that NHS workers have told people that that won't treat the unvaccinated.

Original post by Starship Trooper
Every living person is a "disease vector" including people who wear masks 24/7 and are fully vaxxed.

I agree people regardless of whether they are vaxxed or not spread the virus. People need to stop getting annoyed by such term. I'm a disease vector and there's no point in me trying to run away from that fact.
(edited 2 years ago)

Also I'm going to sound bad for saying this but don't really have too too much respect for the NHS system either. Just wanted to say that

PRSOM.

But quite a few people also need to remember that making criminal threats that involve violence & yelling foul abuse into the face of a random stranger with an alternative opinion on either pandemic restrictions or any vaccination remains as criminal and socially unacceptable in 2021 as it was a decade ago.
Oh no, minimum public health measures. The scourge of liberty on par with the Holocaust!

To anyone who seriously thinks mask wearing and vaccinations necessary to minimise the spread of a deadly disease are severe impositions upon their freedoms, I suggest you seriously ask your parents whether or not you were dropped on your head as a baby.

I could understand the discontent if a 4th lockdown was announced (I'd be pissed too) but this is just getting silly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Love (77)
Oh no, minimum public health measures. The scourge of liberty on par with the Holocaust!

To anyone who seriously thinks mask wearing and vaccinations necessary to minimise the spread of a deadly disease are severe impositions upon their freedoms, I suggest you seriously ask your parents whether or not you were dropped on your head as a baby.

I could understand the discontent if a 4th lockdown was announced (I'd be pissed too) but this is just getting silly.

Agreed, for vaccine passports and lockdowns I can understand but not for mask wearing.
Original post by Love (77)

Don't necessarily think that insult was necessary but I agree with the general gist of the comment.
Agreed, for vaccine passports and lockdowns I can understand but not for mask wearing.

In some places second vaccines are being suspended as more vaccines are needed for the rolling out of booster vaccines.
Yeah anyone who is against restricting basic civil liberties supposedly in order to protest people from a flu with a 99% chance of survival is a moron totally. :rolleyes:
Yeah anyone who is against restricting basic civil liberties supposedly in order to protest people from a flu with a 99% chance of survival is a moron totally. :rolleyes:

Most people are very scared of dying from or suffering debilitating complications of covid.
The extreme fear can lead to kneejerk reflexes.
Along with sudden outburst of: anger, apportioning blame for covid, envy, frustration, rage and a desire to take out negative emotions upon random strangers with alternative opinions and members of their own household.
Original post by Ambitious1999
In some places second vaccines are being suspended as more vaccines are needed for the rolling out of booster vaccines.

That's sad but got to prioritise your population I guess.

Your civil liberties are not being restricted by wearing a piece of clothing over your face and taking a few minutes out of your day to go and get a vaccine that lowers the risk of you infecting others, getting infected, getting long covid, dying etc etc. These are minor inconveniences that you can afford to suck up for the good of others, not massive impositions that in any way impact your position in society. The 99% statistic is irrelevant to this point. 1% is still an extremely high number of people (without even considering those who get cognitively impacted by long covid, those who get hositalised etc etc), and should not be used as an excuse to avoid a simple injection trip or mask wearing. Both of which are the absolute lowest requirement for public safety. Don't be a clown because of "MUH LIBERTIES". It just makes you look stupid.
Original post by londonmyst
Most people are very scared of dying from or suffering debilitating complications of covid.
The extreme fear can lead to kneejerk reflexes.
Along with sudden outburst of: anger, apportioning blame for covid, envy, frustration, rage and a desire to take out negative emotions upon random strangers with alternative opinions and members of their own household.

I mean you're not complete wrong.
Original post by Fruli
Are people happy now?

While this Covid experience is terrible there are plus points and ways to change our lives for the better.

1) Lockdowns mean less road congestion less pollution all of which is good for the environment. They give people creative opportunity to develop new hobbies and skills. There are several people I know who have written books, taken up painting and other arts. Discovered talents they never thought they had.

2) Working from home for those who can has proved successful, no commuting saves workers a lot of money and stress and gives more time for work and better productivity. It’s something that we need to build on.

3) Education and exams. Covid has made education chiefs look to alternatives to exams. Replacing exams with 100% coursework for instance. Exams are an unfair outdated method of assessment. A bout of nerves, having a cold hayfever can fail a grade A student. Plus stress of missing buses, not getting to exam on time car crashes and major delays beyond students control can destroy 2 years of hard work.

Covid has shown we can do without exams and instead examine students on what they know rather than how they can cope with a cold, anxiety, delays getting to the exams.
Fyi I've had the vaccine and have to wear a mask for work (and I'm happy to do so)

But I am militantly against lockdowns, mandatory vaccinations or indeed wearing masks.

If you are vulnerable to Covid then you need to stay at home or wear full PPE whatever. But most people esp the young should not be punished for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending