The Student Room Group

Friend not admitting she’s struggling

Hi, so one of my friends (let’s call her Anya) has been self harming and I had absolutely no idea whatsoever until one of my other friends (let’s call her Lucy) told me. I’ve tried talking to her but I don’t know how to get through to her (Anya) without telling her that Lucy told me (which would probably cause arguments)
Sorry this is kind of confusing but please can someone help? Shes in a really bad place and I can’t figure out how to help her. Thank you <3
Original post by annabelle16
Hi, so one of my friends (let’s call her Anya) has been self harming and I had absolutely no idea whatsoever until one of my other friends (let’s call her Lucy) told me. I’ve tried talking to her but I don’t know how to get through to her (Anya) without telling her that Lucy told me (which would probably cause arguments)
Sorry this is kind of confusing but please can someone help? Shes in a really bad place and I can’t figure out how to help her. Thank you <3

Hi! This sounds like you're in a difficult position with a friend you care about and it's great to hear that you want to help her out. It can be very difficult for someone who is self-harming to want to open up about what they're struggling with, and it must be also be frustrating for you to not know how to help her. I would suggest just letting her know that if she ever needs someone to talk to, you're here to listen. You may need to be patient and give her some time and if she knows her friends are there for her, she'll open up when she's ready. Can I ask, did your friend Anya tell Lucy herself that she was self-harming? If it does come up that Lucy had told you, it may be useful to mention to your friend that you both care about her and Lucy was worried and you are too.

The following link might help a little more with knowing how to support her in the best way:
https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/if-youre-worried-about-someone-else/how-can-i-support-someone-who-has-self-harmed/

I hope this helps!
Original post by earthtomadi
Hi! This sounds like you're in a difficult position with a friend you care about and it's great to hear that you want to help her out. It can be very difficult for someone who is self-harming to want to open up about what they're struggling with, and it must be also be frustrating for you to not know how to help her. I would suggest just letting her know that if she ever needs someone to talk to, you're here to listen. You may need to be patient and give her some time and if she knows her friends are there for her, she'll open up when she's ready. Can I ask, did your friend Anya tell Lucy herself that she was self-harming? If it does come up that Lucy had told you, it may be useful to mention to your friend that you both care about her and Lucy was worried and you are too.

The following link might help a little more with knowing how to support her in the best way:
https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/if-youre-worried-about-someone-else/how-can-i-support-someone-who-has-self-harmed/

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much!! Yeah so Anya and Lucy and really close and I think it was a couple of nights ago Anya opened up to her, and the following morning Lucy pulled me aside and just said, can you keep an eye on her and just make sure she’s ok because we’re probably amongst the few closest to her. I feel a bit like I’m betraying Lucy though if I tell Anya but I know it is the right thing to do :/ xx
Thank you so much for that link and the advice!! xx
When an individual faced with vulnerabilities do not confront an aggregate further seek professional advice from adults, as this could aggregate her self harm further good luck
Original post by annabelle16

She has mental issues people with Mental issues are special and don’t be in your feelings understand that she needs help
thank you 😊 xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending