The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences Birmingham Applicants 2022

Hi! I haven’t seen a thread for people applying to LANS yet, so thought I’d start one.
Which unis are you guys applying to and what other courses?
I’m applying to natural sciences at Cambridge, Durham, York, Exeter and then lib arts and natsci at Birmingham!
:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey!!
I've been looking for this :smile:
I'm applying to Politics and Modern Languages at Leeds, Bristol and Edinburgh and Liberal Arts at Durham and Birmingham.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Hey, how are you able to apply to two different courses (Politics and Modern Languages and Liberal Arts)? Also, I'm considering to apply for the first course, what did you mention in your personal statement please? :frown:Thank you.
Original post by princess-faith
Hey, how are you able to apply to two different courses (Politics and Modern Languages and Liberal Arts)? Also, I'm considering to apply for the first course, what did you mention in your personal statement please? :frown:Thank you.

Hi!!

I'm not sure if this goes for all students but my personal statement was only focused on German and Politics as these are the two I hope to major on in my course. When I talked to people at the Birmingham open day, they said that it would be fine to do that and you can add other subjects when you get there if you get an offer. They don't expect you to mention all the subjects you're interested in studying in your personal statement so if Politics and Modern Languages are your key interests, my understanding is that you focus your statement on those. I focused mine around further reading and also German politics and mentioned online summer schools, courses and lectures I had attended. I'm sorry this is so general but I hope it helped :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by planetkepi
Hi!!

I'm not sure if this goes for all students but my personal statement was only focused on German and Politics as these are the two I hope to major on in my course. When I talked to people at the Birmingham open day, they said that it would be fine to do that and you can add other subjects when you get there if you get an offer. They don't expect you to mention all the subjects you're interested in studying in your personal statement so if Politics and Modern Languages are your key interests, my understanding is that you focus your statement on those. I focused mine around further reading and also German politics and mentioned online summer schools, courses and lectures I had attended. I'm sorry this is so general but I hope it helped :smile:

yeah Birmingham said that ur personal statement doesn’t have to be in all ur subjects, that’s why u have to do the admissions essay as well
Original post by s8520
yeah Birmingham said that ur personal statement doesn’t have to be in all ur subjects, that’s why u have to do the admissions essay as well

Does that mean that your admissions essay should reflect the subject you are taking or can it just more more of a general discussion of different subjects? E.g. if you are doing the one about the most important news story, does that have to be related to the subjects you are choosing or can it just be a discussion about different subjects in general e.g. politics if you weren't planning on doing that at uni?
Reply 6
Original post by musicalrose
Does that mean that your admissions essay should reflect the subject you are taking or can it just more more of a general discussion of different subjects? E.g. if you are doing the one about the most important news story, does that have to be related to the subjects you are choosing or can it just be a discussion about different subjects in general e.g. politics if you weren't planning on doing that at uni?

this might be wrong but as far as I’m aware it can be a combination of any subjects. I only linked the subjects I do for alevel/am considering for uni, but only bc it made sense for the topic i chose for the qu I answered :smile:
just got an offer :smile:
Hi, My name is Asia and I’m a current Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences student at the University of Birmingham. I’ve checked with our Admissions Tutor and he has confirmed that you don’t need to cover all subjects that you are interested in your UCAS Personal Statement. It’s also the case that you can choose any subjects for the Admissions Essay. You should aim to bring together different disciplinary approaches to understand a topic (e.g. Politics, Biology, English Literature). These don’t necessarily need to be subjects you want to study at University. I hope that helps. Wishing you all the best with your applications. I’m happy to answer any other questions you have about LANS at Birmingham. Thanks, Asia
Original post by UoB - Arts and Law
Hi, My name is Asia and I’m a current Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences student at the University of Birmingham. I’ve checked with our Admissions Tutor and he has confirmed that you don’t need to cover all subjects that you are interested in your UCAS Personal Statement. It’s also the case that you can choose any subjects for the Admissions Essay. You should aim to bring together different disciplinary approaches to understand a topic (e.g. Politics, Biology, English Literature). These don’t necessarily need to be subjects you want to study at University. I hope that helps. Wishing you all the best with your applications. I’m happy to answer any other questions you have about LANS at Birmingham. Thanks, Asia

tysm :smile:)

Hi Asia,
Thank you so much!! May I ask, would it be okay for the essay to only have a social sciences focus e.g. looking at a topic from the perspective of Politics, Psychology and Sociology or would it be better to combine both arts and social sciences for example?
Hi Asia,
Thank you so much!! May I ask, would it be okay for the essay to only have a social sciences focus e.g. looking at a topic from the perspective of Politics, Psychology and Sociology or would it be better to combine both arts and social sciences for example?

Thanks for your question. I've checked with the Admissions Tutor and it doesn’t matter if the subjects are all from the Social Sciences, just as long as they’re different subjects. You might be interested to know that if you wanted to, you can choose to study only Social Sciences modules at Birmingham if you decide to do that, it’s a very flexible programme. Hope that helps, Asia’

What made you choose liberal arts at birmingham rather than at any other unis as lots of them have similar grade requirements? :smile:
Reply 13
Received this short correspondence from them:
What made you choose liberal arts at birmingham rather than at any other unis as lots of them have similar grade requirements? :smile:

I am majoring in Creative Writing, and the University of Birmingham had the best (and the most) modules in the subject. Moreover, it was the broadest program for Liberal Arts. Many other universities had mandatory subjects that I did not want to take and many restrictions (one made it compulsory to take English Literature modules, which I did not want to do).
When I visited the University for Open Day (I also visited campuses of other unis I applied to), I fell in love with the campus. The redbrick is so beautiful, especially in the sunlight.
To be honest, Birmingham asked me for a higher grade than some of the other universities (another uni asked me for a higher one than UoB). Hope that helps, Asia
Anyone got an offer yet? :smile:
Anyone got an offer yet? :smile:

yeah i do :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
yeah i do :smile:

congratulations!!!!! how long did it take for them to respond to your essay?
Reply 18
congratulations!!!!! how long did it take for them to respond to your essay?

Like one week I think
I’ve realised that people are getting invitations to do the essay in waves so don’t worry if some people have got an offer and you haven’t bc you might have been asked to do your essay later and so are lower down on their to do list :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending