The Student Room Group

What are the job opportunities between a BSc Finance and a BSc Economics?

I am interested in both Economics and Finance and I am unsure which one I want to take at uni. I’m really not sure on what the different job prospects are for a Finance degree or a Economics degree. I’m also interested in which one would be more suited to going into investment banking.
Honestly accounting and finance or finance would probably be better because alot of I banks like finance as the degree is quite useful were as with economics the degree is quite theoretical so normally economics graduates are at the back end of an I bank. TBH either one from a good target uni will be good enough and job prospects are endless.
Original post by Anthony 1111
Honestly accounting and finance or finance would probably be better because alot of I banks like finance as the degree is quite useful were as with economics the degree is quite theoretical so normally economics graduates are at the back end of an I bank. TBH either one from a good target uni will be good enough and job prospects are endless.

Firstly, for IB the subject you study literally doesn't matter at all. I even know people with music degrees who are on front-office grad schemes at IB's. Just do whatever degree you think you'll be most interested in at the best possible uni you can do it. Generally economics is picked by students as it's typically more technical and academically rigorous than subjects like A&F, whilst also still providing knowledge about the economy and some finance, but honestly any subject will be okay as long as it's at a top uni.

No idea why the above poster seems to think that economics grads end up in the back office of an IB more than other subjects, this is completely untrue in my experience. If anything, economics grad skills most closely match S&T and Research desks rather than back office desks. I worked in IB in a front-office grad role for about 2 years and quite a lot of my colleagues were Econ grads.

To answer your questions, there's essentially no difference in recruitment prospects between straight Econ and Econ&Fin. Other factors are way way more important and these make this distinction negligible at most.
Original post by BenRyan99
Firstly, for IB the subject you study literally doesn't matter at all. I even know people with music degrees who are on front-office grad schemes at IB's. Just do whatever degree you think you'll be most interested in at the best possible uni you can do it. Generally economics is picked by students as it's typically more technical and academically rigorous than subjects like A&F, whilst also still providing knowledge about the economy and some finance, but honestly any subject will be okay as long as it's at a top uni.

No idea why the above poster seems to think that economics grads end up in the back office of an IB more than other subjects, this is completely untrue in my experience. If anything, economics grad skills most closely match S&T and Research desks rather than back office desks. I worked in IB in a front-office grad role for about 2 years and quite a lot of my colleagues were Econ grads.

To answer your questions, there's essentially no difference in recruitment prospects between straight Econ and Econ&Fin. Other factors are way way more important and these make this distinction negligible at most.

How about for Quant funds, Venture Capital, Hedge Fund surely on the buy-side a finance-related degree is more desirable
Original post by Anthony 1111
How about for Quant funds, Venture Capital, Hedge Fund surely on the buy-side a finance-related degree is more desirable

Well first it's worth noting that these 3 types of firms are in completely different fields of finance so you don't get the same applicants applying to all 3.

Quant funds are almost entirely exclusive to STEM grads so good luck with an Econ/Fin degree. Venture capital roles are very sparse coming out of university, normally you'd need to have a background in investment banking (M&A, ECM, DCM, Corp Fin, Lev Fin, etc) so very different to a quant fund. A hedge fund again there's basically no jobs straight out of uni, most come from having at least 2yrs experience in an investment bank (although it can be corp fin side or markets side, the distinction doesn't actually matter much).

So to answer your question, neither Econ/Fin are very useful for a quant fund. Both venture capital and hedge funds rarely hire straight from undergrad without experience in IB (and those that do are insanely competitive and often like STEM grads too for HFs). So most commonly you'll need to get into IB first to get into VC, HF or PE later on, and there's no subject requirements for IB so no, finance isn't preferred for any of the types of firms you mentioned, nor is economics really.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hello
You seem rather knowledgeable in courses and unis. Please may I ask a question. What’s troublesome for me may be a simple answer from yourself. I’ve applied for courses in the Maths and Finance section. I’ve applied and need to consider accepting Liverpool, city uni of London, Nottingham & Manchester uni. I live in London but happy to travel and move. Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lovemusicsimple
Hello
You seem rather knowledgeable in courses and unis. Please may I ask a question. What’s troublesome for me may be a simple answer from yourself. I’ve applied for courses in the Maths and Finance section. I’ve applied and need to consider accepting Liverpool, city uni of London, Nottingham & Manchester uni. I live in London but happy to travel and move. Thanks.

Which specific courses at each uni?
Which specific courses at each uni?

Thanks for responding..
Liverpool - F/Y Mathematical Sciences. Following to Maths & Finance

City - FY Maths. Then Maths & Finance.

Manchester - maths & finance. With FY

Nottingham - Music.! (This is my biggest strength but not as a career)

Will it really make a difference at a job interview if I come from City or Liverpool. Putting aside Manchester as that is high end Russell.
Really appreciate your sincere guidance.
My predic. BCC
Original post by Lovemusicsimple
Thanks for responding..
Liverpool - F/Y Mathematical Sciences. Following to Maths & Finance

City - FY Maths. Then Maths & Finance.

Manchester - maths & finance. With FY

Nottingham - Music.! (This is my biggest strength but not as a career)

Will it really make a difference at a job interview if I come from City or Liverpool. Putting aside Manchester as that is high end Russell.
Really appreciate your sincere guidance.
My predic. BCC

Okay this is just my opinion so don't solely rely on it, hopefully it will help the other research your doing on them tho.

I think Liverpool is meant to be decent for maths with finance despite Liverpool being one of the worst Russel Group unis. Have surprisingly seen a few from maths course there in finance, you basically never see anyone from their economics courses for example.

I personally wouldn't recommend City too much as it's overall uni brand is weak. But it has a good location and so if it saves you a lot of money and finances are an issue then it wouldn't be terrible but would be particularly good either, just average.

Manchester is the obvious strongest out of these. Their maths department is really good, their business school also is decent at things like quantitative finance but not sure whether you can take any modules from there. It's also got the best social scene out of the ones mentioned which shouldn't be understated.

Nottingham - I'm not really sure what to say lol. If you wanna do a music degree go there from your choices, if not then go to the others?

Naturally I assumed FY indicates a foundation year, given your predicted grades? It's worth noting that all investment banks have minimum a-level requirements for their internships and grad schemes which are AAB/ABB. So even from a good uni, you wouldn't be able to apply to investment banks for example with BCC. Obviously it's easy for me to say but if you want any shot at IB, you need ABB at the very very minimum. Alternatively, there are lots of other organisations that hire maths grads that are less restrictive on a-level grades like the big 4, actuarial firms, wealth management firms, etc.
Okay this is just my opinion so don't solely rely on it, hopefully it will help the other research your doing on them tho.

I think Liverpool is meant to be decent for maths with finance despite Liverpool being one of the worst Russel Group unis. Have surprisingly seen a few from maths course there in finance, you basically never see anyone from their economics courses for example.

I personally wouldn't recommend City too much as it's overall uni brand is weak. But it has a good location and so if it saves you a lot of money and finances are an issue then it wouldn't be terrible but would be particularly good either, just average.

Manchester is the obvious strongest out of these. Their maths department is really good, their business school also is decent at things like quantitative finance but not sure whether you can take any modules from there. It's also got the best social scene out of the ones mentioned which shouldn't be understated.

Nottingham - I'm not really sure what to say lol. If you wanna do a music degree go there from your choices, if not then go to the others?

Naturally I assumed FY indicates a foundation year, given your predicted grades? It's worth noting that all investment banks have minimum a-level requirements for their internships and grad schemes which are AAB/ABB. So even from a good uni, you wouldn't be able to apply to investment banks for example with BCC. Obviously it's easy for me to say but if you want any shot at IB, you need ABB at the very very minimum. Alternatively, there are lots of other organisations that hire maths grads that are less restrictive on a-level grades like the big 4, actuarial firms, wealth management firms, etc.

Thanks that was very informative…and yes I may well consider Liverpool as I visited and it felt good. If Nottingham consider me I’d be happy to Music ….I have high qualifications in music and I would could follow to get into banking or finance of some sort not high level. It was city and Liverpool I’m confused with. Money not being an issue so maybe I’ll revisit and go with my gut. Little concerned that Nottingham will attract older people doing my course as it’s open to them! I’m 17. Ok well thanks for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending