The Student Room Group

Relationship 27 year old man - 37 year old woman - my mother

I live with my mother who is 37. I was born when she was just a teenager. Since this summer she has known a boy much younger than her age. They have always dated outside the house, but last night, after dinner, she wanted him to sleep in our house. Basically, he's moving into our house. As long as the relationship was outside the house, it didn't bother me much, but now Seeing her sleeping with a man a little older than my age (20), really bothers me. What do you think about this?
Well, they're both adults and as long as it's consensual there's nothing wrong. Also it's her house.
Original post by Anonymous
lmao just go away u ****

I'm staying right here. You can't do anything.
Reply 3
I don't see any issue with that age gap. If they're both happy what's the problem?

If your only problem is that he is only 7 years older than you then that's something you have to deal with. You're 20. If you don't like the situation, take responsibility and move out.

Just be happy for your mum. Put yourself in her shoes. When you get to her age, and you find someone you like who is 10 years younger than you, what would you do? I reckon you wouldn't have a problem with it.

You've said that he is much younger than her. It may seem so at 20 but a 10 year age gap is not massive.

Finally in my experience, at the age of 20 I was still basically a kid. I didn't start being all that mature until mid 20s. There is a big difference between a 20 year old and a 27 year old but not so much between 27 and 37 (i imagine. I haven't reached 37 yet!)

Try not to worry about it and be supportive.
(edited 2 years ago)
You sound jealous
I think you need to deal with it.

If you're going to get prudish about it the decent thing to do is move out and give her some privacy.
I would have been critical from a safety point of view, but you’re an adult. Move out if it bothers you.
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV123
I would have been critical from a safety point of view, but you’re an adult. Move out if it bothers you.

and where do I go?
and where do I go?

Get a job or go to Uni and save to move out and go wherever you want. That's the beauty of it. You could go anywhere.

You have so many options. You could also be happy for you mam. but if it's too difficult then it's her house, she pays all the bills and provides a roof, move out.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jess1975
Get a job or go to Uni and save to move out and go wherever you want. That's the beauty of it. You could go anywhere.

You have so many options. You could also be happy for you mam. but if it's too difficult then it's her house, she pays all the bills and provides a roof, move out.

maybe it's just jealousy.... over the likely arrival of a baby brother....
maybe it's just jealousy.... over the likely arrival of a baby brother....

You're supposedly 20 not 2 :redface:
Original post by StriderHort
You're supposedly 20 not 2 :redface:

maybe he was referring to the op
Original post by ninja-boy
maybe he was referring to the op

They are the OP
Reply 13
The age gap is not excessive nor eyebrow raising, be happy she’s getting her oats
Original post by Zarek
The age gap is not excessive nor eyebrow raising, be happy she’s getting her oats

the age difference is significant, especially if you consider that it is closer to mine than to his.
Then it's annoying when she says that if I'm embarrassed I can leave the house.
Believe me, it is not nice that someone comes into your house and sleeps with your mother, while you may still be awake.
the age difference is significant, especially if you consider that it is closer to mine than to his.
Believe me, it is not nice that someone comes into your house and sleeps with your mother, while you may still be awake.

YOUR house? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

It's your mummy's house dear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending