The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Engineering at warwick

Hi,
Does anyone know what is it like studying at warwick for engineering and how helpful is the university in helping you to find internships?
and is warwick the right choice for engineering ?
Many thanks
The uni will probably not be significantly more or less helpful than others, although may have fewer connections than others for finding summer placements/year in industry schemes through. Warwick is pretty average for engineering. It's mainly well known for maths, economics, CS, and business (and while engineering does include aspects of several of these, it is not any of those departments and so does not have the same connections or strengths).

There are probably better unis you could apply to for engineering, honestly; for engineering I'd consider Warwick "insurance choice" material...unless your goal is to work in an investment bank. In which case why do engineering when you could do anything!
(edited 2 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
The uni will probably not be significantly more or less helpful than others, although may have fewer connections than others for finding summer placements/year in industry schemes through. Warwick is pretty average for engineering. It's mainly well known for maths, economics, CS, and business (and while engineering does include aspects of several of these, it is not any of those departments and so does not have the same connections or strengths).

There are probably better unis you could apply to for engineering, honestly; for engineering I'd consider Warwick "insurance choice" material...unless your goal is to work in an investment bank. In which case why do engineering when you could do anything!

Thank you for your response
I initially wanted to do economics but then I changed my mind to engineering just because of the jobs ( in case I dont like working in the financial sector) but Im still thinking to work in the financial sector with an engineering degree
Can you suggest me universities which I should I apply for (I've looked at league tables for universities for mechanical engineering and dont know where to go)
im predicted a*a*a but I think I will only be able to achieve a*aa
I've thought about taking a gap year as well but I think its already hard enough to get a job and in the coming years it will be harder (with a degree)
any advice please
many thanks
Original post by harman.12
Thank you for your response
I initially wanted to do economics but then I changed my mind to engineering just because of the jobs ( in case I dont like working in the financial sector) but Im still thinking to work in the financial sector with an engineering degree
Can you suggest me universities which I should I apply for (I've looked at league tables for universities for mechanical engineering and dont know where to go)
im predicted a*a*a but I think I will only be able to achieve a*aa
I've thought about taking a gap year as well but I think its already hard enough to get a job and in the coming years it will be harder (with a degree)
any advice please
many thanks

The WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group) is very well known, and does a lot with automotive manufacturing.

I would agree with the above that there mechanical course is pretty average. That said the discrepancies between course generally isn’t that large between the IMeche accredited mechanical degrees. Elsewhere in the midlands region you have Loughborough, Nottingham & Sheffield (which are all large well respected engineering faculties), their is also Coventry which is a decent mechanical/automotive program (and probably a reasonable insurance option).
If you want to go into investment banking you need to pretty much focus on target unis only. There isn't really any way around that because of the nature of that sector.

However, you can go into IBanking with any first degree, and if you aren't specifically motivated to do engineering in order to become an engineer it will probably be a very long and boring course for you. So I wouldn't really recommend doing engineering if your aim is anything other than to be an engineer...

Outside of engineering your jobs are going to be pretty much the same as any other numerate degree so it doesn't really add anything than the engineering sector which I would suggest ought to be your first choice to pursue the degree as otherwise you will probably find you don't get much out of it.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
The WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group) is very well known, and does a lot with automotive manufacturing.

I would agree with the above that there mechanical course is pretty average. That said the discrepancies between course generally isn’t that large between the IMeche accredited mechanical degrees. Elsewhere in the midlands region you have Loughborough, Nottingham & Sheffield (which are all large well respected engineering faculties), their is also Coventry which is a decent mechanical/automotive program (and probably a reasonable insurance option).

What do you think about bristol (opportunities in being able to get an internship and course wise) or should I take a gap year because I have to apply real soon?
many thanks
Reply 6
If you want to go into investment banking you need to pretty much focus on target unis only. There isn't really any way around that because of the nature of that sector.

However, you can go into IBanking with any first degree, and if you aren't specifically motivated to do engineering in order to become an engineer it will probably be a very long and boring course for you. So I wouldn't really recommend doing engineering if your aim is anything other than to be an engineer...

Outside of engineering your jobs are going to be pretty much the same as any other numerate degree so it doesn't really add anything than the engineering sector which I would suggest ought to be your first choice to pursue the degree as otherwise you will probably find you don't get much out of it.

What do you think about bristol (opportunities in being able to get an internship and course wise) or should I take a gap year because I have to apply real soon?

many thanks
many thanks

Good university & good engineering faculty, I tend to associate them closely with the aerospace industry. Id rate it as one of the stronger UK engineering faculties, in the South east Bristol, Southampton & Bath are all good engineering programs.

many thanks

mnot said everything I would've above :smile:

Original post by mnot
Good university & good engineering faculty, I tend to associate them closely with the aerospace industry. Id rate it as one of the stronger UK engineering faculties, in the South east Bristol, Southampton & Bath are all good engineering programs.

PRSOM!
Reply 9
mnot said everything I would've above :smile:

PRSOM!

Should I take a gap year or will it just be a waste of time?
Reply 10
Original post by mnot

I mean, if you have something relevant you want to do during that time, or if you are unsure of what you want to study, it's a fine option. If you have no idea what you're going to do in that year and will just reapply for the same course next year there seems to be little point in it though?
(edited 2 years ago)

This is a very different question to what uni should you go to.

You do seem lost on applying for engineering or economics, so perhaps taking a year out isnt such a bad thing; but id make it a productive year if you go that route (and its not a decision that needs to be rushed either).

If you are serious about financial services then you really need to be 100% committed, from day 1 at uni you'll need to be applying for insight days, networking events and trying to get onto spring weeks, then internships etc. (it is very competitive) but going somewhere like Bristol or Warwick is solid they are well known unis for financial services recruitment. I think you really need to decide this before you decide what university/course you want to do, and you can do engineering and pursue this but it will impact what universities to look at for undergrad.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
This is a very different question to what uni should you go to.

You do seem lost on applying for engineering or economics, so perhaps taking a year out isnt such a bad thing; but id make it a productive year if you go that route (and its not a decision that needs to be rushed either).

If you are serious about financial services then you really need to be 100% committed, from day 1 at uni you'll need to be applying for insight days, networking events and trying to get onto spring weeks, then internships etc. (it is very competitive) but going somewhere like Bristol or Warwick is solid they are well known unis for financial services recruitment. I think you really need to decide this before you decide what university/course you want to do, and you can do engineering and pursue this but it will impact what universities to look at for undergrad.

Thank you very much for helping me
I know it might be annoying but one last question , which degree do you think will offer more career options engineering or economics
- economics will only allow me to work in the finance sector
-engineering will allow me to work in the engineering sector and I've heard it will also allow me to work in the financial sector but I need experience first which is really hard and if i dont get the experience it will for sure limit my career options
thank you very much
Reply 14
I mean, if you have something relevant you want to do during that time, or if you are unsure of what you want to study, it's a fine option. If you have no idea what you're going to do in that year and will just reapply for the same course next year there seems to be little point in it though?

I know it might be annoying but one last question , which degree do you think will offer more career options engineering or economics

-engineering will allow me to work in the engineering sector and I've heard it will also allow me to work in the financial sector but I need experience first which is really hard and if i dont get the experience it will for sure limit my career options

thank you very much

thank you very much

You need experience to get any job as a graduate. A degree by itself with no relevant work experience will likely leave you unemployed after graduating.

An economics degree is as good as any other degree (including engineering) for working in a variety of roles, including e.g. business, media, the civil service, law, accounting, investment banking, etc, etc. As above, for both degrees, in all cases, work experience would be essential.

The only thing an engineering degree gives you as an option otherwise are engineering roles, and it may be somewhat easier to go into roles in the computing sector with an engineering background (although this is probably dependent on what type of engineering you studied and the exact roles you're applying for). Again though, work experience and internships would be essential to make yourself employable...

If you don't want to work as an engineer, don't do an engineering degree, basically. That's what it's specifically for, and if you wanted to work in any of the other areas indicated above you would be just as well off doing e.g. economics, CS, maths, physics, chemistry, finance, etc, and in fact for any of them except computing sector roles any degree is fine - politics, anthropology, Assyriology, Sanskrit, history of art, media studies, etc, with the caveat that for investment banking and management consulting you need to go to a target uni.

Quick Reply

Latest