The Student Room Group

Can i pick up a GCSE subject in Y11 or is it too late

I want to do D&T GCSE which I did not think of doing in year 10.
Reply 1
Too late now as there would be no time to complete all the hours of NEA you need to do. As most schools need this to be finished by the end of the Spring term there is no time to complete it.,
(edited 2 years ago)
Are you currently in Year 10 or 11?

If you're currently in Year 11 then to be honest it's a bit late. We're already several months into the academic year.

If you're currently Year 10 then in theory any GCSEs can easily be studied within one year, so on that basis yes...
BUT your school will likely be teaching the material over two years, not one, so I'm not exactly sure how you'd catch up with that.
It's not really a subject that would be straightforward to take as a private candidate either.

I think your chances are slim, but speak to your school about it.
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Are you currently in Year 10 or 11?

If you're currently in Year 11 then to be honest it's a bit late. We're already several months into the academic year.

If you're currently Year 10 then in theory any GCSEs can easily be studied within one year, so on that basis yes...
BUT your school will likely be teaching the material over two years, not one, so I'm not exactly sure how you'd catch up with that.
It's not really a subject that would be straightforward to take as a private candidate either.

I think your chances are slim, but speak to your school about it.

Probably too late.
I picked up statistics gcse in year 11 and did perfectly fine although something like DT might require a longer time for designing and making coursework so I think for that specific course, it's not ideal :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest