The Student Room Group

Official Optometry applicants 2022

Hi everyone! I thought I'd create a place where we can all discuss how our Optometry applications are going :smile:

Here are some questions I thought we could answer:

What Unis are you hoping to apply to?
What A-levels are you doing?
What are your predicted grades?
Are you applying to anything else apart from Optometry?
Why do you want to study Optometry?

Maybe I'll see some of you at open days / interviews!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mannkaty0
Hi everyone! I thought I'd create a place where we can all discuss how our Optometry applications are going :smile:

Here are some questions I thought we could answer:

What Unis are you hoping to apply to?
What A-levels are you doing?
Are you applying to anything else apart from Optometry?
Why do you want to study Optometry?

Maybe I'll see some of you at open days / interviews!

I'm applying to Plymouth, Cardiff, UWE Bristol and possibly Hertfordshire.
Bio, Chem, History.
A/A*, A, A.
I'm thinking of applying for Orthoptics as a back-up option.
I've had vision problems since I was young (myopia and amblyopia) because I was born premature, so I've had lots of experience going to opticians. I also like the idea of helping people and doing something medical that doesn't involve surgery.
Reply 2
I'm applying to Plymouth, Cardiff, UWE Bristol and possibly Hertfordshire.
Bio, Chem, History.
A/A*, A, A.
I'm thinking of applying for Orthoptics as a back-up option.
I've had vision problems since I was young (myopia and amblyopia) because I was born premature, so I've had lots of experience going to opticians. I also like the idea of helping people and doing something medical that doesn't involve surgery.

Have you already sent your application?
Reply 3
Hi I am applying to Aston, Manchester, City and Glasgow... My gcses are 7 and 8s and my predicted grades are AAB. Wbu? What are your gcses and predicted grades?
Reply 4
Original post by Nirari
Have you already sent your application?

Hi! I sent it off about a month ago and I've got 4 offers now!
How's the application process going for you? I'm happy to help with anything x
Reply 5
Original post by Nirari
Hi I am applying to Aston, Manchester, City and Glasgow... My gcses are 7 and 8s and my predicted grades are AAB. Wbu? What are your gcses and predicted grades?

My predicteds are A*AA in bio, chem and history. I got 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I think unis would make a decision about your application more based on how your perform at interview rather than your GCSE grades
Reply 6
My predicteds are A*AA in bio, chem and history. I got 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I think unis would make a decision about your application more based on how your perform at interview rather than your GCSE grade

Wow nice. I sent off my application last week and waiting for replies.
How long did each uni take to reply to you? have you had any interviews?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
My predicteds are A*AA in bio, chem and history. I got 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I think unis would make a decision about your application more based on how your perform at interview rather than your GCSE grades

Original post by Nirari

What choices are you guys thinking of firming and insuring?
Reply 8
Original post by Nirari

It took about a week to hear back about interviews, but Cardiff gave me on offer a week after I sent my ucas off without an interview. After I did the interviews, it took 2 weeks to hear back from UWE and Plymouth and 1 day from Aston. I had my interview for orthoptics at Sheffield on Wednesday so I'm still waiting to hear back from them!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by KillMech
What choices are you guys thinking of firming and insuring?

Cardiff or Plymouth but I'm not completely sure which way round atm 🤔
(edited 2 years ago)
Cardiff or Plymouth but I'm not completely sure which way round atm 🤔

Ahh ok, which is closest to home? I am applying to Plymouth with BTEC and A level Biology. Not heard anything yet.
Reply 11
Ahh ok, which is closest to home? I am applying to Plymouth with BTEC and A level Biology. Not heard anything yet.

Plymouth's pretty close for me haha, what about you?
(edited 2 years ago)
It took about a week to hear back about interviews, but Cardiff gave me on offer a week after I sent my ucas off without an interview. After I did the interviews, it took 2 weeks to hear back from UWE and Plymouth and 1 day from Aston. I had my interview for orthoptics at Sheffield on Wednesday so I'm still waiting to hear back from them!

So you had an interview from Plymouth? Not heard anything from them yet, not even an interview :frown:
Reply 13
i applied to manchester and got 3 A’s
Reply 14
So you had an interview from Plymouth? Not heard anything from them yet, not even an interview :frown:

I had an interview about 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't worry about them taking a while to reply though because it'll probably take longer over Christmas 🙂
Reply 15
Original post by beckyd4444
Applied to Cardiff, Manchester, Aston, UWE and GCU
Doing Bio, Chem and Psych predicted A*Aa
Only applying for Optometry
So far I have three interviews, one tomorrow, just waiting on my top choice Cardiff’s offer and GCU, it’s been about 3 weeks since I sent my application

Good luck!!
Applied to Cardiff, Manchester, Aston, UWE and GCU
Doing Bio, Chem and Psych predicted A*Aa
Only applying for Optometry
So far I have three interviews, one tomorrow, just waiting on my top choice Cardiff’s offer and GCU, it’s been about 3 weeks since I sent my application

Did you get an interview for cardiff? (Im also applying btw)
Original post by germain818
Did you get an interview for cardiff? (Im also applying btw)

They don’t always do interviews but I haven’t heard anything from them yet either way, when are you applying? Goodluck
They don’t always do interviews but I haven’t heard anything from them yet either way, when are you applying? Goodluck

Probably in the coming 3 weeks or so (late I know). Just brushing up on my personal statement. I hope Cardiff don't do interviews as that's my top choice and it would save a lot of stress.
Original post by germain818
Probably in the coming 3 weeks or so (late I know). Just brushing up on my personal statement. I hope Cardiff don't do interviews as that's my top choice and it would save a lot of stress.

Bwhahaha same it’s my top and im so glad they don’t usually interview I talk super fast when i’m nervous

Quick Reply

Latest