The Student Room Group

Did anyone do bmo1

I could pretty much answer all of them apart from the shape question. I only found out I qualified the day before so I didn't do any past papers to compare. Was it easier or harder than average?

Scroll to see replies

Strange, I thought the shape one was far too easy to be a question 4.Overall harder than average. Didnt try question 6 and got the answer to 5 but it seems really hard to prove. Question 3 seemed super hard, maybe i was just doing it wrong but it took me so long to prove.
Reply 2
Original post by GAYTHRASHMETAL68
Strange, I thought the shape one was far too easy to be a question 4.Overall harder than average. Didnt try question 6 and got the answer to 5 but it seems really hard to prove. Question 3 seemed super hard, maybe i was just doing it wrong but it took me so long to prove.

I am very bad with shape questions. Was question three the 2021 binary representation question? Did you get 2^10? I kept drawing out the circles and it didn't make any sense to me. Question 5 was a really nice solution I think the mean was only a whole number when 8N +1 was an odd square number
Original post by Johcena69
I could pretty much answer all of them apart from the shape question. I only found out I qualified the day before so I didn't do any past papers to compare. Was it easier or harder than average?

Any prediction for Distinction, Merit, and BMO2 threshold?
Reply 4
Original post by satriobimo123
Any prediction for Distinction, Merit, and BMO2 threshold?

I've not done a paper before so I don't know. Maybe 40?
I would expect the BMO2 threshold to be 42 and the leaderboard to be 53 or more.
Reply 6
How did you attempt Q3?
Distinction and merit
Reply 8
Paper and video solutions available at
https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/
Reply 9
Original post by FairAboutUK
I would expect the BMO2 threshold to be 42 and the leaderboard to be 53 or more.

How long does it take to mark
Original post by Johcena69
How long does it take to mark

BMO 1 marking will be done during 5–12 December 2021. Last year BMO 1 marking was done during 5–12 December too and high scores were published on 16 December 2020. So we can expect something similar this year.
Original post by supersaiyan3
BMO 1 marking will be done during 5–12 December 2021. Last year BMO 1 marking was done during 5–12 December too and high scores were published on 16 December 2020. So we can expect something similar this year.

The workload doubled this year as only three questions needed to mark last year. Publishing date might be delayed.
Original post by FairAboutUK

I think that's a bit high. I found the paper a lot harder than the 2019 paper, where 50+ was the leaderboard. I would say the 2021 paper is of a similar difficulty to the 2018 paper, so maybe 30+ distinction, 48+ leaderboard, and 32-40 for BMO2 threshold depending on year group.
I hope they have different thresholds for different year groups as then I actually will have a chance for BMO2 :smile:
UKMT has sent out the IMO Winter camp (Leeds) invitations. Good luck!
Reply 14
How

UKMT has sent out the IMO Winter camp (Leeds) invitations. Good luck!

Hi Supersaiyan. How do you know? Did you get an invitation?
Original post by Azermi
How

Hi Supersaiyan. How do you know? Did you get an invitation?

Yes, I got the invitation on 14-Dec. All the invitations were sent and the list of 20 students are finalized.
Yes, I got the invitation on 14-Dec. All the invitations were sent and the list of 20 students are finalized.

what is the criteria to be invited? Based on BMO 1 result?
Original post by tedchong80
what is the criteria to be invited? Based on BMO 1 result?

I think yes. According to those old team members, top 20 in BMO1 will be invited.
I think yes. According to those old team members, top 20 in BMO1 will be invited.

Thanks for your information.

This would mean they have to have marked the BMO already, why are the results not up then?

Quick Reply

Latest