The Student Room Group

Is Liverpool Hope uni a good uni?

Hiya, I’m currently applying for uni and had a few questions… I noticed that the uni is a bit outside the city, does that effect anything like the night life ect? Also is it a good university? I’m getting mixed comments and would like some advice to see if I should take the offer! thank you :smile:))
Reply 1
It's not in the city centre but it's like 10 minutes on a bus, it's not far from anything in practical terms. 15 min walk from Broad Green train station, too. 5 mins into the city centre from there, 5 min drive in a taxi if the traffic is decent.

The teaching there is broadly excellent (as reflected in their TEF award) and it has a proper community feel that you often don't get in the bigger universities in the city. You will hear some insults etc on here because it's a small institution and it is still quite religious (the only University in the UK or US to be founded by both Catholic and Anglican colleges).

Rankings change course by course so hard to give definitive answers.
Reply 2
Thank you! How do you find out the rankings for courses?
Reply 3
Original post by abbie40
Thank you! How do you find out the rankings for courses?

Places like this, but I'm not sure how much stock to put into them. Have you been to any open days or anything? What's your gut instinct?

Every university will have some courses better than others and it's hard in that sense to give a true baseline, but LHU is a decent institution with excellent teaching staff and it's in a nice bit of the city. Could do a lot worse, imo
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Places like this, but I'm not sure how much stock to put into them. Have you been to any open days or anything? What's your gut instinct?

Every university will have some courses better than others and it's hard in that sense to give a true baseline, but LHU is a decent institution with excellent teaching staff and it's in a nice bit of the city. Could do a lot worse, imo

I’m planning on going to an open day, they do the course I really want to do, which isn’t done in a lot of unis so my application process was narrowed significantly which meant I wanted to make sure I wasn’t limiting myself too much! I’m very indecisive so Im still mulling it over! :smile:))
Reply 5
Original post by abbie40
I’m planning on going to an open day, they do the course I really want to do, which isn’t done in a lot of unis so my application process was narrowed significantly which meant I wanted to make sure I wasn’t limiting myself too much! I’m very indecisive so Im still mulling it over! :smile:))

This all sounds positive to me!

I reckon see what you make of the place at the open day, and trust your gut :smile:
Original post by abbie40
Hiya, I’m currently applying for uni and had a few questions… I noticed that the uni is a bit outside the city, does that effect anything like the night life ect? Also is it a good university? I’m getting mixed comments and would like some advice to see if I should take the offer! thank you :smile:))

Hi @abbie40 :smile:

Liverpool Hope is around 20 minutes from the city centre via bus. Personally, I found this ideal as a student because I could go to town to shop and to go out but also could have some peace and quiet when I needed to study. The university itself is located in Childwall, which is mostly residential however, there are lots of local bars and restaurant by the campus. There is also Our Place, Hope's Student Union bar, which is right in the middle of campus.

I recently graduated from Hope and if I had to do uni all over again, I'd still choose to come here. The contact time with lecturers is really high, which means that you're more than just a number and there's a really great community atmosphere on campus.

What course are you looking to study? I'll be able to give you some student and staff insights into the course if you'd like.

If you have any questions about Liverpool Hope, just let me know!

Laura :rave:
Liverpool Hope University is one of the most attractive universities in the United Kingdom. It may not be the largest university, but it offers many opportunities to those who want to fulfil their goals and obtain a better education.... Overall, Hope University is a fantastic university that offers a lot to its students.
Reply 8
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi @abbie40 :smile:

Liverpool Hope is around 20 minutes from the city centre via bus. Personally, I found this ideal as a student because I could go to town to shop and to go out but also could have some peace and quiet when I needed to study. The university itself is located in Childwall, which is mostly residential however, there are lots of local bars and restaurant by the campus. There is also Our Place, Hope's Student Union bar, which is right in the middle of campus.

I recently graduated from Hope and if I had to do uni all over again, I'd still choose to come here. The contact time with lecturers is really high, which means that you're more than just a number and there's a really great community atmosphere on campus.

What course are you looking to study? I'll be able to give you some student and staff insights into the course if you'd like.

If you have any questions about Liverpool Hope, just let me know!

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m wanting to study Philosophy, ethics and criminology and would love some insight. Knowing the history of LHU is it a very religious university?
Reply 9
Original post by abbie40
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m wanting to study Philosophy, ethics and criminology and would love some insight. Knowing the history of LHU is it a very religious university?

I have taught for their Philosophy and Theology Dept and it is a fantastic wee place.
Original post by abbie40

The university grew out of three Christian teacher training colleges: Saint Katharine's College (originally Warrington Training College), Notre Dame College, and Christ's College, so it's history and foundations were very religious. However, the university is very secular and our students come from a large variety of religions, beliefs and walks of life. This works quite well as there are places for students who want religious spaces but is not at all forced on those who don't take part in religion. Overall, in terms of religion, Hope is much like many other universities across the country that has historical foundations. As a student who wasn't very religious, I didn't take part in any activities based around the church like many others however, I have friends who were also very involved. So, it really is how much you choose to be involved that will affect this rather than the university forcing you to.

Criminology and Philosophy & Ethics is a great course combination as both of these subjects involve critical thinking about large social issues. The course is split 50/50. This means that half of your learning would be within Criminology, a part of our School of Social Sciences, and the other half would be within Philosophy & Ethics, a part of our School of Humanities.

Criminology is a well-established degree at Liverpool Hope and is taught by staff with considerable experience at national and international level. Several key criminological textbooks are written by members of the School. The Criminology team is enthusiastic and dedicated and will help you to get the most out of your degree. Criminology is heavily focused on justice - how it is delivered, to whom, by whom and whether or not it is effective.

Philosophy & Ethics explores the big questions of life and morality: on what basis do we judge things good or evil? It challenges you to examine your assumptions, opinions and worldview. What does it mean to be human? Do we have free will, or is our life completely determined? The degree is taught by a core team of critical academics who are passionate about teaching and are internationally recognised researchers and writers. This degree will equip you with the intellectual skills and perspectives needed to face the ethical and ideological challenges of the contemporary world.

I hope this gives you some more information about Hope and our courses. If you would like to know anything else, just let me know!

(edited 2 years ago)
Hi :smile:

Latest figures from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) show that 98.1% of Liverpool Hope University graduates were in employment or further education six months after graduating in 2017. This places Liverpool Hope University 2nd in the UK universities ranking and 1st in England. Our graduates go into a lot of different fields, professions and further education which is something we're proud of at Hope. The Hope graduate has a strong academic qualification and lots of hands on experience within their field.

As a Hope graduate myself, I have first hand experience with entering the job market following graduation and the support and employability advice I received was outstanding. This is one of the benefits of studying within a smaller university as your student experience is a lot more personalized and you can access support quicker than if you were attending a larger institution.

I can appreciate that we have differing opinions on this topic. However, I can assure you that I am a Liverpool Hope University graduate and everything I post on TSR comes from my own personal experience.

Personally, I loved my time at Hope as did many of my friends who are also all in their early twenties. The roles that they have gone into post graduation include a sports journalist, a business analyst, a mental health support worker and several teachers. Sure, a lot of these roles may not make you a millionaire but they are fulfilling and are careers that my friends are very satisfied with. Whilst I understand that your opinion is that if an institution isn't a "Uni of" it's not worth attending, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I wouldn't trade the experience I had at Hope as the support, work experience within my field and contact hours were at a high standard that I feel I wouldn't have received at a much larger institution.

I hope you have a nice day!

Original post by Liverpool Hope University

I can appreciate that we have differing opinions on this topic. However, I can assure you that I am a Liverpool Hope University graduate and everything I post on TSR comes from my own personal experience.

Personally, I loved my time at Hope as did many of my friends who are also all in their early twenties. The roles that they have gone into post graduation include a sports journalist, a business analyst, a mental health support worker and several teachers. Sure, a lot of these roles may not make you a millionaire but they are fulfilling and are careers that my friends are very satisfied with. Whilst I understand that your opinion is that if an institution isn't a "Uni of" it's not worth attending, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I wouldn't trade the experience I had at Hope as the support, work experience within my field and contact hours were at a high standard that I feel I wouldn't have received at a much larger institution.

I hope you have a nice day!

I support Liverpool hope University because it all depends on your mentality. Either it is big or small, Everything is being checked with your skills and working attitude. I am not saying this each small university is good but we can not put all in one basket just being small University.

Especially when you are talking about stats, check this out...
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/may/19/job-prospects-vary-widely-for-graduates-in-england-data-shows
It does not matter which University choose, it matters how much dedication and efforts you put in your study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending