The Student Room Group

Is A-level Biology difficult for a student getting fives in bio?

Is A-level Biology difficult for a student getting fives?
Original post by kayla306

I would say so, yes. A level biology is a big step up from GCSE, and the content is a lot more detailed. It is challenging for people getting 8/9. Are you on a 5 because you find it difficult to understand/revise/exam technique? Some of that can be more easily fixed.
Original post by booklover1313
I would say so, yes. A level biology is a big step up from GCSE, and the content is a lot more detailed. It is challenging for people getting 8/9. Are you on a 5 because you find it difficult to understand/revise/exam technique? Some of that can be more easily fixed.

I understand biology and find it very interesting,but i need to work on my exam techinque to get better marks.
I understand biology and find it very interesting,but i need to work on my exam techinque to get better marks.

If it’s your exam technique, that’s something you can work on & you could be able to do the A level.
It’s things like looking at command words like ‘state’ vs ‘explain’ that can really help. What do your teachers recommend?
If it’s your exam technique, that’s something you can work on & you could be able to do the A level.
It’s things like looking at command words like ‘state’ vs ‘explain’ that can really help. What do your teachers recommend?

Nothing ,she is not that good of a teacher .Any advice?
Nothing ,she is not that good of a teacher .Any advice?

What parts of the exam trip you up?
And have you considered getting a tutor?
What parts of the exam trip you up?
And have you considered getting a tutor?

I have a tutor and what tips me of ,is how it is phrased
I have a tutor and what tips me of ,is how it is phrased

Have you tried looking through past papers with the mark schemes once you have finished? Mark schemes and examiners reports can be very useful, as they show you exactly what examiners are expecting.
I don't do bio but I know I can't survive my subjects if I had gotten 5s at GCSEs for them.
Have you tried looking through past papers with the mark schemes once you have finished? Mark schemes and examiners reports can be very useful, as they show you exactly what examiners are expecting.

yes i often go over them

I got a 5 at GCSE and ended year 12 on a B. There were students in my class that got 8/9s and failed, a level biology is about how hard you revise, recall information, and most importantly exam practice. Don't let people put you off, I worked hard to up my grades from the 5

A-level biology is difficult for everyone, regardless of grade. But I’d wager that it’s even more difficult for those who got 5s, unless in the rare case where they got a 5 from lack of effort and/or marking negligence, or something extreme along those lines.
Reply 12

Yes, it is difficult for a person getting 9's in GCSE biology just because there is so much you need to know. The exam questions are cruel and often only have one right answer allowing little variation. Saying that, it is something that can get better with lots of revision and practice so if you really love the subject, don't be put off from trying it out. The topics we cover are extremely interesting.
i think a lot of people getting a 5 at the end of the GCSE probably to get a worthwhile grade in the A-level. I'm sure people do, but you need to remember that it'll only get harder from GCSE. Grades aren't really 1:1 from GCSE to A-level, and essentially the grades 6-9 (and some 4s and 5s) get stretched out into A*-E. Generally speaking more grade 8/9 students do disappointingly than lower-grade students going on to get top grades. It's very dependent on your ability and we can't really comment. This isn't to be discouraging, I'm just trying to give an honest evaluation.

Getting a 6 or 7 would much improve the prospects here.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest