The Student Room Group

Is this A Level Combination okay?

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has done or know someone who’s done or has any advice on doing maths physics biology chemistry a levels. this combination would open all my doors and science is my favourite subject all three of them are just fascinating to me and i find maths very rewarding and very helpful for science ( and it opens a lot of options for me ). I have the grades but i’m scared it’ll be overload. Any advice ?
4 difficult A-levels are not okay imo.
Reply 2
I dont think you realise how much work A-Levels are. Doing those 4 A-Levels would mean you have absolutely no spare time at all. A straight 9 student would struggle as those subjects are all an enormous leap up from GCSE. They are not subjects you can just throw in to go along side a main subject, they are all main subjects and vary greatly in content. Really consider what you want to do.
Original post by sototo
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has done or know someone who’s done or has any advice on doing maths physics biology chemistry a levels. this combination would open all my doors and science is my favourite subject all three of them are just fascinating to me and i find maths very rewarding and very helpful for science ( and it opens a lot of options for me ). I have the grades but i’m scared it’ll be overload. Any advice ?

I understand why you want to do them, but maybe narrow down your options ie. is it physics chemistry or bio you are most intent on persuing. There is none of the old fashioned scientists anymore unfortunatly
Reply 4
which out of those do you recommend i choose then ? the college i’m going to won’t let you do physics a level without also doing maths a level which i understand because you need maths for everything physics but i do love biology
Original post by sototo
which out of those do you recommend i choose then ? the college i’m going to won’t let you do physics a level without also doing maths a level which i understand because you need maths for everything physics but i do love biology

Whatever you prefer
honestly I think - think if u want to go down something healthcare related (then it's chem, bio, maths) or engineering/physics related (then it's physics) - like, try to think about what sort of career paths or university degrees will interest you most and make your decision from there. Maths is quite universally useful I think, but again it's really down to uni course requirements.

Dont most colleges/sixth forms give you like 2 weeks at the beginning of the year to trial your subjects? and if u don't like them u can switch or drop one?? id say do this, ask (if ur still unsure) if u can have an extension till Jan or later/earlier (i doubt they'd let it, depends on how rigid they are though) and just see how u find it
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by blueham1
honestly I think - think if u want to go down something healthcare related (then it's chem, bio, maths) or engineering/physics related (then it's physics) - like, try to think about what sort of career paths or university degrees will interest you most and make your decision from there. Maths is quite universally useful I think, but again it's really down to uni course requirements.

Dont most colleges/sixth forms give you like 2 weeks at the beginning of the year to trial your subjects? and if u don't like them u can switch or drop one?? id say do this, ask (if ur still unsure) if u can have an extension till Jan or sooner/earlier (i doubt they'd let it, depends on how rigid they are though) and just see how u find it

It was a thing at my 6th form where you could do 4 at AS and then drop one at A Level but that hinders the 3 you have left imo
Reply 8
Original post by sototo

Take physics, maths and biology then. If you don't want to become a chemist, don't take chemistry - it's very difficult and most people drop out after the first year
Original post by Anholm
Take physics, maths and biology then. If you don't want to become a chemist, don't take chemistry - it's very difficult and most people drop out after the first year

I'd be careful about this! chemistry is needed for most dentistry and medical schools, so if you want to do something healthcare related chemistry is quite important!! you don't only need it to be a chemist
Original post by sototo

don’t take 4. take 3. maths bio and chem would be best as if you ever choose to apply to medicine, dentistry or veterinary then you’ll have those options cause 90% will ask for bio and chem.
Reply 11
I'd be careful about this! chemistry is needed for most dentistry and medical schools, so if you want to do something healthcare related chemistry is quite important!! you don't only need it to be a chemist

Yes that would be the best combination for a biological/chemical route. I only say the above because they shouldnt take chemistry as something you pop on the side to have 4 a levels. Yes, chemistry and biology together open you up to all universities
Reply 12
Original post by Anholm
Yes that would be the best combination for a biological/chemical route. I only say the above because they shouldnt take chemistry as something you pop on the side to have 4 a levels. Yes, chemistry and biology together open you up to all universities

I love chemistry just everything about it, the application to real life, the way everything builds from the same concepts and the careers it opens. But I also love physics and biology a LOT. I really don’t know what to do. To do physics a level i also need to be taking maths a level at the college i want to go to and maths also is very rewarding to me and I like the problem solving aspect and how it helps with and compliments my other subjects. However I also find economics really really interesting, like the change of the essay based element, the teachers are amazing and I am desperate to do that as well. I am struggling to make the decision.
Reply 13

I love chemistry just everything about it, the application to real life, the way everything builds from the same concepts and the careers it opens. But I also love physics and biology a LOT. I really don’t know what to do. To do physics a level i also need to be taking maths a level at the college i want to go to and maths also is very rewarding to me and I like the problem solving aspect and how it helps with and compliments my other subjects. However I also find economics really really interesting, like the change of the essay based element, the teachers are amazing and I am desperate to do that as well. I am struggling to make the decision.
They sound like great choices! Just drop one (least favourite) of things get too heavy. Otherwise stick to a strict revision schedule and practice practice practice!
I did these 4 before, and they were alright for me. I had a few fixed hours each week to do past year papers in the sciences and some concepts in maths, for example: do a biology paper from 9 to 11 am on Sundays. I didn't have a hard core study schedule like study 8 hours a day or anything, but I stuck to these minimum hours and never missed them at all until I sat for my A-levels.
Original post by sototo

Imo it aint that deep but u got to put the work in. Anyways u can do A1 and drop 1 if it gets too hard. U could do 4 for month or so and see. If it's too hard drop it. If u can hack it then do 4 then after u receive your A1 grades (predicted) make up your choice if 4 are worth it i.e. can u achieve high grades. This option is less appealing bc u will end up with lower predicted grades if u struggle w 4. Don't have the perception that it will be easy tho. It will be hard and time consuming. Alternatively u could choose 1 science broadly now and then take further w that science and another 1 so still 4 A levels idk (this suggestion is weaker). I found further rlly helps w standard A level math and other calculations in chem etc. Up to u rlly. No harm in trying for a month. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest