The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Can I get offer from uni of notts with BBB for an ABB course?

self explanatory. Also if I am unable to get an offer, but later achieve ABB on results day, can I still apply for the uni of notts' course? or is it that if I don't get the offer, I don't have a chance of getting into the course at UoN
Original post by mojin
self explanatory. Also if I am unable to get an offer, but later achieve ABB on results day, can I still apply for the uni of notts' course? or is it that if I don't get the offer, I don't have a chance of getting into the course at UoN

It is very unlikely a university will accept you after rejecting you although not impossible. Universities make many times more offers than places because they know many dont take up the offer. In a normal year most universities and courses would make an offer to someone 1 grade below but following last years grade inflation it is difficult to tell what will happen this year.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
It is very unlikely a university will accept you after rejecting you although not impossible. Universities make many times more offers than places because they know many dont take up the offer. In a normal year most universities and courses would make an offer to someone 1 grade below but following last years grade inflation it is difficult to tell what will happen this year.

Oh okay, so would you say they may still accept a couple grades lower due to the situation most students are in?
Certainly, you can apply since you are only 1 grade off the standard offer. Its a bit of a gamble to wait for results day to see if you achieve ABB and then apply since the course may be full so you may be asked to defer to next year.
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
Certainly, you can apply since you are only 1 grade off the standard offer. Its a bit of a gamble to wait for results day to see if you achieve ABB and then apply since the course may be full so you may be asked to defer to next year.

Oh alright, understood. I'm just a bit confused as to whether a russell group uni would really accept BBB for ABB, but thanks, I'll still try and get one of my subjects bumped up by 1 anyways, worth a try. Also from open day, my chosen course at UoN seems to have a small number of people ie 50 ish, so I am hopinggg it would be alright.

If I were to apply on the day of results day, would I have to call notts and ask if there are any places, and then decline all offers previously, or do I decline all offers and then ask notts if there are any places and then apply? While typing that out, it does sound very risky lol.
Original post by mojin
Oh okay, so would you say they may still accept a couple grades lower due to the situation most students are in?

Nobody can really tell whether universities will accept students 1 or 2 grades below. I suspect 2 grades below for Nottingham is unlikely.

As for the situation most students are in the truth is most students over the last 2 years have been hugely advantaged over those in previous years. Whilst there has undoubtedly been disruption the lax marking has been totally different to anything that has happened in 2019 and earlier. Last year 23% of students were awarded the A* grade. In earlier years 8% or less got the A* grade. This caused major problems for leading universities who then had more students than they had room for. Some deferred to this year.

Nobody knows how strict the marking will be this year and whether there will end uo being exams or teacher assessed grades. All this makes it impossible to know what will happen this year.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Nobody can really tell whether universities will accept students 1 or 2 grades below. I suspect 2 grades below for Nottingham is unlikely.

As for the situation most students are in the truth is most students over the last 2 years have been hugely advantaged over those in previous years. Whilst there has undoubtedly been disruption the lax marking has been totally different to anything that has happened in 2019 and earlier. Last year 23% of students were awarded the A* grade. In earlier years 8% or less got the A* grade. This caused major problems for leading universities who then had more students than they had room for. Some deferred to this year.

Nobody knows how strict the marking will be this year and whether there will end uo being exams or teacher assessed grades. All this makes it impossible to know what will happen this year.

Oh right yeah, I get you. Well its just fingers crossed then I suppose.
I achieved my grades of ABB last year and applied for an AAB course and got an offer fairly quickly. Bit of a gamble but always worth a shot.
Reply 8
Original post by partridge18
I achieved my grades of ABB last year and applied for an AAB course and got an offer fairly quickly. Bit of a gamble but always worth a shot.

Okay, that's good to hear! I just recently got my predicted grades up to ABB, so I feel safer applying now lol. Also, you managed to get into an AAB course with ABB grades, do unis accept people into their course with one grade below, if so thats great lol. Or were you just purely talking about offers?
Original post by mojin
Okay, that's good to hear! I just recently got my predicted grades up to ABB, so I feel safer applying now lol. Also, you managed to get into an AAB course with ABB grades, do unis accept people into their course with one grade below, if so thats great lol. Or were you just purely talking about offers?

I got my grades and am applying for university 2022/23, so my offers are unconditional as I've got my grades. I got unconditional from Notts for Politics and IR which is an AAB course, but I've got in with ABB. Mind you I do apply for contextual offers.
Reply 10
Original post by partridge18
I got my grades and am applying for university 2022/23, so my offers are unconditional as I've got my grades. I got unconditional from Notts for Politics and IR which is an AAB course, but I've got in with ABB. Mind you I do apply for contextual offers.

Ohh right, I got you. Congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending