The Student Room Group

Is there a law that prevents muslims from being forced to dance?

Ok, context time. So I live in Scotland, and am a 'Muslim' according to my parents and my personal data information stuff, (Though in reality I'm like Agnostic or Atheist), and for the next two weeks in PE, we will be doing... Social Dancing.
Now, I researched, and it appears that it's forbidden in Islam for guys to dance with another woman. So last year when we did social dancing, I told the teacher. Then later, they said that I could just dance with a guy. Thus, I danced with a girl, since, while I am alright with dancing with a dude, I'm like 90% sure that I'd get bullied for it, and so too would the other guy. But upon further research, it seems guys can't dance with other guys either in Islam, so I'm going to use this excuse as well this year.
So I just wanted to know if there's a law protecting me from being forced into social dancing
Reply 1
Jus tell them its due to religious reasons, don't deep it too much. If they don't comply then mention it to your tutor or head of year.
There is no law against dancing- for anyone.

If you don't want to dance or are afraid of catching covid, just say no.
But don't try to use religion as the excuse.
Nor get in the habit of hiding behind the ancient teachings of any religion that you don't believe in to cover your own personal dislikes and fears.
Good luck!
I'm quite educated on Islam but I honestly don't think such a thing exists saying "u can't dance with other people" but I think dancing is discouraged for certain things and wudnt be surprised if it's not allowed, I personally wudnt do it regardless of whether it's with someone else or by myself

Do u just wanna use it as an excuse to get out of it? If so then just use it, they wont know either way right, since u don't believe it's not gonna make a difference to u personally

But tbh I agree more with the comment above
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TyrTheTaur
Ok, context time. So I live in Scotland, and am a 'Muslim' according to my parents and my personal data information stuff, (Though in reality I'm like Agnostic or Atheist), and for the next two weeks in PE, we will be doing... Social Dancing.
Now, I researched, and it appears that it's forbidden in Islam for guys to dance with another woman. So last year when we did social dancing, I told the teacher. Then later, they said that I could just dance with a guy. Thus, I danced with a girl, since, while I am alright with dancing with a dude, I'm like 90% sure that I'd get bullied for it, and so too would the other guy. But upon further research, it seems guys can't dance with other guys either in Islam, so I'm going to use this excuse as well this year.
So I just wanted to know if there's a law protecting me from being forced into social dancing

Are you refusing to dance because of potential bullying or because of religious reasons? I doubt you would get bullied for dancing, though that would depend on the people there. Either way, religious enforcements shouldn’t stop you, especially when you consider the fact that you found this info alone and your parents didn’t inform you, which suggests that they are oblivious to this.

I’m not sure about the legalities of dancing, though.
Original post by HelloHello143
I'm quite educated on Islam but I honestly don't think such a thing exists saying "u can't dance with other people" but I think dancing is discouraged for certain things and wudnt be surprised if it's not allowed, I personally wudnt do it regardless of whether it's with someone else or by myself

Do u just wanna use it as an excuse to get out of it? If so then just use it, they wont know either way right, since u don't believe it's not gonna make a difference

Dancing is haram just like almost every other form of entertainment
Reply 6
Ah but thing is, I want religious enforcements to stop me
Original post by summerbirdreads

Thought so, didn't want to say cuz I cudnt remember anything exact saying it, as long as ur sure I'll take ur word on it lol, shudnt really say anything unless ur 100% sure

Tell them you'll go to hell if you dance, be really serious while at it... cry if need be
Thought so, didn't want to say cuz I cudnt remember anything exact saying it, as long as ur sure I'll take ur word on it lol, shudnt really say anything unless ur 100% sure

I don't know but I'll bet my right boob on it.
Original post by londonmyst
But don't try to use religion as the excuse.

I'm probably gonna use religion as an excuse

Oh and I was wondering if there like wasn't a law that protects religious freedoms from being stopped, like in the US
I don't know but I'll bet my right boob on it.

Right 🤣🤣 tbh I think I have saw something on it before but just make sure u know before saying lol, this is how a lot of misinformation gets spread like Muslims thinking they need to kill dogs and pigs for being impure 🤦*♀️

So I assume that you just hate dancing and want to abuse religion to skip class? I respect you, if so.
Original post by 0ptics
So I assume that you just hate dancing and want to abuse religion to skip class? I respect you, if so.

Me too.

In fact, I'll take you (OP) as my role model.
Right 🤣🤣 tbh I think I have saw something on it before but just make sure u know before saying lol, this is how a lot of misinformation gets spread like Muslims thinking they need to kill dogs and pigs for being impure 🤦*♀️

Well, it's apparently only makrooh (not as bad as haram) to dance but no dancing allowed in front of the opposite gender, no excessive dancing allowed and the best part is no music allowed.. well what can you dance to then? nasheed? sounds tragic ngl but you know what's even more tragic? that stupid bet.. there goes a small part of my favourite boob.. the only time I wanted something to be haram, it decided not to be.

So is lying
Tell them you'll go to hell if you dance, be really serious while at it... cry if need be

i cry a lot
Original post by nulli tertius
So is lying

Yeah but I explained it in my other post and I never said I'm Muslim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending