The Student Room Group

Can I ask for a extension due to multiple assignment's being due on the same week?

So to preface this, my course has two compartments international relations and politics but due to the university I go to I have to pick a random module not related to what I'm doing.

All of them decided to set assignment's during the same week but unlike usual where they would all be essays its a blog entry on international relations with citations, a portfolio and a article about social media and a 1800 word essay for politics these three have completely different topics to research cite source and styles of writing and i am not sure how i would be able to fit this into a week without producing **** tier work this is really stressing me out.

I'm a first year so I have no frame of reference for what kind of thing I can ask for when asking for an extension

Scroll to see replies

I'm inclined to say no. There are going to be plenty of instances throughout your degree where you'll be having multiple instances of difficult assignments set within the same week, or even on the same day. The unfortunate reality is that uni is difficult and this is just one example.

Extensions are usually for extenuating circumstances, e.g. medical reasons, bereavement.
Reply 2
Original post by journeyaway
I'm inclined to say no. There are going to be plenty of instances throughout your degree where you'll be having multiple instances of difficult assignments set within the same week, or even on the same day. The unfortunate reality is that uni is difficult and this is just one example.

Extensions are usually for extenuating circumstances, e.g. medical reasons, bereavement.

Thanks for the response, guess i am just going to have to really hyperfocus on these two assignements
Original post by Anonymous
So to preface this, my course has two compartments international relations and politics but due to the university I go to I have to pick a random module not related to what I'm doing.

All of them decided to set assignment's during the same week but unlike usual where they would all be essays its a blog entry on international relations with citations, a portfolio and a article about social media and a 1800 word essay for politics these three have completely different topics to research cite source and styles of writing and i am not sure how i would be able to fit this into a week without producing **** tier work this is really stressing me out.

I'm a first year so I have no frame of reference for what kind of thing I can ask for when asking for an extension

Nope, unfortunately multiple deadlines close together doesn't warrant an extension, unless you have extenuating circumstances occurring at the same time.

In my first year, I recall having 3 essays due in in the same week (one due each on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday), but I just had to make sure I organised my time really well and stuck to a pre-arranged timetable of when to work on each so they were all completed at the same time.

No - there is no justification for an extension due to multiple close deadlines. That's just unfortunate - not problematic.

Extensions are for things that come up unexpectedly and out of your control which prevent you from submitting on the due date, but are relatively short-term and can be dealt with completely by a one-to-two week extension to the deadline. Classic things would involve a short-term serious-ish illness like flu, or diarrhoea and vomiting, or a hand/wrist injury which prevents you from writing or using a computer. Other reasons could be a bereavement or other serious personal problems. All problems or issues would need to evidenced.

For more long-term or serious problems (i.e. those which cannot be dealt with via a two-week maximum extension), there will be a different mechanism whereby you defer submission, this time handled by your exam board rather than your programme leader: it's usually called Adverse Circumstance/Exceptional Circumstances or something like that.
Reply 5
Absolutely not - part of your development as an undergraduate is planning and managing multiple, competing deadlines.
Of course not.
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
Of course not.

Original post by gjd800
Absolutely not - part of your development as an undergraduate is planning and managing multiple, competing deadlines.

replying to both of these because they gave a similar energy.

I thought because this is our second round of course work there might be a easing into university timetables and planning and i don't think it would be totally unreasonable when you take this into account that i wondered if a extension would be applicable due to the effect the time constraint will have on the work i end up producing

I thought because this is our second round of course work there might be a easing into university timetables and planning and i don't think it would be totally unreasonable when you take this into account that i wondered if a extension would be applicable due to the effect the time constraint will have on the work i end up producing

extensions are for unexpected events like illness, not for poor time management skills
Reply 9
extensions are for unexpected events like illness, not for poor time management skills

yes, I know that now but that's why I asked the question.

At the same time I think its understandable while I'm still adjusting to university not to fully have my time management skills fully realized and that the first term might be less stressful and therefore might see it as something extension worthy so I don't get insanely stressed out over a essay
yes, I know that now but that's why I asked the question.

At the same time I think its understandable while I'm still adjusting to university not to fully have my time management skills fully realized and that the first term might be less stressful and therefore might see it as something extension worthy so I don't get insanely stressed out over a essay

I'm sorry, but that is very snowflake way of thinking. Uni is going to be stressful, you have to accept that and realise that exceptions are not going to be made for you.
I'm sorry, but that is very snowflake way of thinking. Uni is going to be stressful, you have to accept that and realise that exceptions are not going to be made for you.

I get that in general but it is the first term.

I'm sure you was great at managing your time in first year though and im sure you never struggled with a piece of work and wondered if you could have an extension and that's fine.

But whats the point of sitting there and being judgemental in a TSR thread because i had a question ?
I get that in general but it is the first term.

I'm sure you was great at managing your time in first year though and im sure you never struggled with a piece of work and wondered if you could have an extension and that's fine.

But whats the point of sitting there and being judgemental in a TSR thread because i had a question ?

So what that it's the first term? I really don't see how that is relevant? And yes, I never wondered about an extension for a piece of work and handed in all my work on time, even if it meant doing all nighters.

I'm just genuinely shocked that you think this would warrant an extension.
(edited 2 years ago)
So what that it's the first term? I really don't see how that is relevant? And yes, I never wondered about an extension for a piece of work and handed in all my work on time, even if it meant doing all nighters.

I'm just genuinely shocked that you think this would warrant an extension.

I thought they might ease us into the workflow and its not like I'm sating i deserve an extension i asked the parameters because i didn't know if it was a valid reason and other people have given constructive information to that end.

For your information i normally hand in my work early.

i was just worried due to the time frame and had a question i didn't expect anything so i don't know why you are being so weird about my wondering about a system i am unsure about in type of work i am not fully acclimatized yet to doing
Reply 14

It is unreasonable. There is no easing in. You are not at school and you just have to crack on, that is the harsh reality. The good news is that if you plan appropriately, knocking out these pieces of work is entirely manageable.
I thought they might ease us into the workflow and its not like I'm sating i deserve an extension i asked the parameters because i didn't know if it was a valid reason and other people have given constructive information to that end.

For your information i normally hand in my work early.

i was just worried due to the time frame and had a question i didn't expect anything so i don't know why you are being so weird about my wondering about a system i am unsure about in type of work i am not fully acclimatized yet to doing

I know this isn't what you asked, but you may be better starting with the assignment your most confident in first and making your way to your least. I know when I have deadlines that are close together I always do it this way and it helps. It motivates me to know that while I'm leaving the one Im probably going to struggle with last I have more time as I have the others complete.
As everyone else has said no

But from a perspective of a rep for a year group, if something seems a bit too much then make it known early to the lecturer, ideally through class agreement and your representative. Most lecturers will be happy enough to change deadlines a bit but at the same time it's something that's very common at university so it's best you get used to it. In other words if the whole class is struggling it's easier to get an extension from experience, however personal extensions require a circumstance for it.

Good luck though!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sleepingsunshine
I know this isn't what you asked, but you may be better starting with the assignment your most confident in first and making your way to your least. I know when I have deadlines that are close together I always do it this way and it helps. It motivates me to know that while I'm leaving the one Im probably going to struggle with last I have more time as I have the others complete.

Thank you for the advice im working through the most difficult one now (as it requires the most reading and its the one i care about getting a good mark in most) but i'll keep this in mind for the future
Original post by Max1989
As everyone else has said no

But from a perspective of a rep for a year group, if something seems a bit too much then make it known early to the lecturer, ideally through class agreement and your representative. Most lecturers will be happy enough to change deadlines a bit but at the same time it's something that's very common at university so it's best you get used to it. In other words if the whole class is struggling it's easier to get an extension from experience, however personal extensions require a circumstance for it.

Good luck though!

Thank you,

this is happened on the last round of coursework's since a few were struggling with excel but i feel as this will be hard to organise with this one as we have already broken up, will keep this in mind for the future though
Thank you,

this is happened on the last round of coursework's since a few were struggling with excel but i feel as this will be hard to organise with this one as we have already broken up, will keep this in mind for the future though

Usually you only have to pass the first year so don't worry too much. Your final classification is on a combination of Year 2 and Year 3 [each uni is slightly different]

Quick Reply

Latest