The Student Room Group

Close the borders for 12 months to eliminate Covid?

If we want to eliminate Covid for once and for all then the UK borders need to be closed for your next 12 months at least. Also a lockdown of 6 months would help too.
Thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

We should had done this at the beginning of the pandemic like Australia and New Zealand done with it but the Westminster Government was to slow to act on it.

You'll not eliminate it till rest of world has been vaccinated as no point UK almost being fully vaccinated when nowhere else has got this far, Australia isn't at halfway point with first dosage but are capable of controlling it.

Covid19 won't go away entirely as be with us for years to come as vaccine will help things and probably then it will be a seasonal virus like flu is.
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999
If we want to eliminate Covid for once and for all then the UK borders need to be closed for your next 12 months at least. Also a lockdown of 6 months would help too.
Thoughts on this?

Moronic in the extreme.
Border closures dont work given no country can fully close its borders, least of all Britain. and try getting 70mn people put under house arrest for absolutely no gain, you will have a violent pushback against such draconian and idiotic measures. Especially as they will all be undone the moment the borders reopen.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
We should had done this at the beginning of the pandemic like Australia and New Zealand done with it but the Westminster Government was to slow to act on it.

You'll not eliminate it till rest of world has been vaccinated as no point UK almost being fully vaccinated when nowhere else has got this far, Australia isn't at halfway point with first dosage but are capable of controlling it.

Covid19 won't go away entirely as be with us for years to come as vaccine will help things and probably then it will be a seasonal virus like flu is.

Impractical for the UK unless you want to see most of the workforce fired.. Plusa neither Australia nor here in NZ has remained covid free and both have opted to suck it up and live with it now.
Perhaps we should go for "Ihre Papiere bitte" like they are probably going for across Europe, or some massive Covid concentration camps Oz style will help. 😁 Its becoming endemic and eventually practically everyone is going to get it. Its how we handle this fact that matters.
Thoughts on this?

So just to confirm, you wish to close us down as a country, similar to what they’ve done in Thailand to deal with a variant which has so far hospitalised nobody?
Original post by Napp
Moronic in the extreme.
Border closures dont work given no country can fully close its borders, least of all Britain. and try getting 70mn people put under house arrest for absolutely no gain, you will have a violent pushback against such draconian and idiotic measures. Especially as they will all be undone the moment the borders reopen.

As an independent island it should be quite easy to keep our borders shut. No ferry’s no flights, shut the channel tunnel and we’re safe.
Bring all UK troops back to Britain enforce this.
Original post by caravaggio2
Perhaps we should go for "Ihre Papiere bitte" like they are probably going for across Europe, or some massive Covid concentration camps Oz style will help. 😁 Its becoming endemic and eventually practically everyone is going to get it. Its how we handle this fact that matters.

The idea is to prevent anyone getting it. Covid can’t be see it’s invisible and once it infects people it can literally dissolve the lungs. Omicron seems to be vaccine resistant too :frown:
Reply 8
As an independent island it should be quite easy to keep our borders shut. No ferry’s no flights, shut the channel tunnel and we’re safe.

The UK is not energy or food (or anything) independent. Unless you want to kill half the population your plan will fail.
Reply 9

i'm guessing you don't want to eat for the whole 12 months, buy clothing and loo roll and personal hygiene products because, as you see, not everything you use on a daily basis is made or produced in the UK. no ferries, no flights, say goodbye to fruits and vegetables and foods produced by it for the spring and winter months. shops will close and people will lose their jobs if they run out of products to sell. not only that we need to ship in things like medical supplies and the vaccine.

you want to lockout British citizens for 12 months who are presently abroad? sounds like a grossly disproportionate breach of British civil rights.

i'm guessing you didn't lose much in the last few lockdowns like my clients who lost their businesses or jobs, went into massive debt, risk of eviction and lived off **** benefits because they couldn't be furloughed and had a mental health crisis because if you had you wouldn't be suggesting another lockdown. seems anyway like the only ones who suggest another lockdown have nothing to lose from it.

Agreed. I was hammering the government for not doing this in Jan last year (banning people in China from coming home would have been a good start) but now? Nope forget about it, it is way to late to shut our boarders and most people have been vaccinated anyway.
Reply 11
Thoughts on this?

What happens after 12 months.....?
Reply 12

You realise the UK isn't an island right?
Why would the UK, one state, closing its borders eliminate covid?
Original post by Quady
You realise the UK isn't an island right?

It is 🤦*♀️ https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/island
Island Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster but I get the point
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
Agreed. I was hammering the government for not doing this in Jan last year (banning people in China from coming home would have been a good start) but now? Nope forget about it, it is way to late to shut our boarders and most people have been vaccinated anyway.

Exactly.
Remember China kept out officials from WHO till they then decide to allow them into inspect the two places where it started from but obviously hide things.

The UK government I think lost there ways on this from day one.
UK government slated rest of the devolved governments on doing there own things but now it been proved that the rest of the devolved governments was right on what they kept in place.
Now look at what's currently coming out of Westminster with the Tory government which if it's true then they let down everybody in the UK with there rules and the rules for us.
Original post by Talkative Toad
It is 🤦*♀️ https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/island
Island Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster but I get the point

Then how can I walk from County Armagh in the UK to County Louth in Ireland without getting my feet wet?

If it tried walking from Hampshire in the UK to the Isle of Wight in the UK, I would drown.
Original post by Quady
What happens after 12 months.....?

The virus (which will absolutely not have been eliminated from the rest of the world) will quickly find it's way back into the country, rendering those 12 months of economic, social and cultural self-destruction a complete and utter waste of time. From which point the pro-lockdown lobby will with no hint of irony or self-reflection, start demanding another lockdown....
Original post by nulli tertius
Then how can I walk from County Armagh in the UK to County Louth in Ireland without getting my feet wet?

If it tried walking from Hampshire in the UK to the Isle of Wight in the UK, I would drown.

The UK is still an island...
Exactly.
Remember China kept out officials from WHO till they then decide to allow them into inspect the two places where it started from but obviously hide things.

The UK government I think lost there ways on this from day one.
UK government slated rest of the devolved governments on doing there own things but now it been proved that the rest of the devolved governments was right on what they kept in place.
Now look at what's currently coming out of Westminster with the Tory government which if it's true then they let down everybody in the UK with there rules and the rules for us.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending