The Student Room Group

Why did I find Law so easy?

I ended up getting a high first (mid-80s) for my law degree, I thought at first that it was easy because I went to a pretty bad university (50-100 UK university rank). I obviously had to study for maybe 4 hours max a day but it's nothing compared to med students. I was curious (because I went to a poor uni) if it would be much more difficult to get the same result at a top 10 university? I was under the impression that the level of difficulty is the same but could someone please clarify?
Original post by GlueSniffer
I ended up getting a high first (mid-80s) for my law degree, I thought at first that it was easy because I went to a pretty bad university (50-100 UK university rank). I obviously had to study for maybe 4 hours max a day but it's nothing compared to med students. I was curious (because I went to a poor uni) if it would be much more difficult to get the same result at a top 10 university? I was under the impression that the level of difficulty is the same but could someone please clarify?

No one will be able to answer this question. There are a lot of reasons for the differences in average grades across universities.

Tbh this post just feels like youre wanting to brag about your results, which is fair enough, but don't couch it in nonsense.
Reply 2
I was under the impression that the level of difficulty is the same but could someone please clarify?

I don't know why you find it easy, but I do believe it is more difficult to achieve the same result (high first class) at a top uni. There are various reasons for this, including a higher lvl of workload, more competent competition, harsher marking, capped firsts, and less humane exam arrangements (e.g: multiple 3-hour closed-book exams, as opposed to coursework).

I don't personally know anyone who would be able to do well with 4 hours of studying per day and still find it easy, let alone graduate with a high first in the mid-80s. I mean, you might just be a law genius, but I highly doubt that. Instead, it is likely that some unis just make it easier for ppl to get away with less effort.

Now I know this post makes me sound slightly bitter, but oh well
Original post by TFEU
I mean, you might just be a law genius, but I highly doubt that. Instead, it is likely that some unis just make it easier for ppl to get away with less effort.

Original post by Gmaster1980
Tbh this post just feels like youre wanting to brag about your results, which is fair enough, but don't couch it in nonsense.

Or he's lying about his qualifications to pull some triggers on TSR.co.uk. Not unheard of.
Original post by ROTL94
Or he's lying about his qualifications to pull some triggers on TSR.co.uk. Not unheard of.

Eh it's at least convincing enough to provide mild entertainment. Better than the 25th post today about whether x irrelevant uni is better than y irrelevant uni for law.
Reply 5
Original post by ROTL94

well if that's his intent then he's succeeded. I'm easily riled up after a long day.
Boring troll.
Eh it's at least convincing enough to provide mild entertainment. Better than the 25th post today about whether x irrelevant uni is better than y irrelevant uni for law.

True enough.
Original post by TFEU
well if that's his intent then he's succeeded. I'm easily riled up after a long day.

Put Dark Side of the Moon on and have a lie down, you'll feel a hundred times better.
The level of difficulty is definitely not the same across universities. University exams and coursework is not standardised and each university sets it’s own standards - with marked differences between their own degrees and departments, let alone other universities.

I hate to break it to you, but it’s highly likely your high first is simply due to a lower marking standard and you’d be highly unlikely to be able to replicate that elsewhere.
Reply 9

You probably need to get over yourself🙄
Original post by ROTL94

Original post by TFEU

This is why I don't ask questions on the student forum ,you get people who avoid the question and focus on something basically irrevelant . I put my grade to add context. If I lied and said I got 67%, then the question would make no sense as I clearly didn't find law easy as I didn't get a top grade. I got a top grade hence why I'm asking other people if the university is a factor on the level of difficulty.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
The level of difficulty is definitely not the same across universities. University exams and coursework is not standardised and each university sets it’s own standards - with marked differences between their own degrees and departments, let alone other universities.

I hate to break it to you, but it’s highly likely your high first is simply due to a lower marking standard and you’d be highly unlikely to be able to replicate that elsewhere.

well that adds more context , I was watching videos of other students opening up there results and they were happy if they got a 2:1 but they went to top unis so it makes sense.
This is why I don't ask questions on the student forum ,you get people who avoid the question and focus on something basically irrevelant . I put my grade to add context. If I lied and said I got 67%, then the question would make no sense as I clearly didn't find law easy as I didn't get a top grade. I got a top grade hence why I'm asking other people if the university is a factor on the level of difficulty.

Well thats because there is no point to your question.

Like what's the ideal outcome? Either people come in and stroke your ego or they give you a two nom line answer to what is effectively a yes or no question.

I seem to have stumbled on two of your threads back to back... hm.

I don't think that this is the norm for a law degree. There are many universities where law requires 8-9 days of study 5 or 6 days a week for a decent 2.1 - nothing special. Aspiring First Class honours holders obviously need to work harder.

Fortunately HEPI - a think tank - has done a survey on this where they compare the average workload of students in different degrees. It's difficult to know which universities those in the law cohort went to (judging from the workload reported, it wasn't Oxbridge) but you might find them fun anyway. Take a look a this document here, https://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/SAES_2021_FINAL.pdf, you're looking for the chart on page 43.

Quick Reply

Latest