The Student Room Group

confused about sqe prep/prices

I am aiming to start preparing for the SQE ASAP

Just to clarify, is the cost to sit all the assessments £3900?

Also, in terms of preparation, am I right in saying that I can either do this in person at BPP/UOL etc or study it online via Barbri?

Any recommendations for how/where I should prepare?

Thanks
Original post by Daniel19761

Also, in terms of preparation, am I right in saying that I can either do this in person at BPP/UOL etc or study it online via Barbri?

Thanks

Hi Daniel19761

Yes you can study the SQE at ULaw either online or in person (I'm sure other providers will jump on here and let you their options too). This blog is quite helpful: https://www.law.ac.uk/resources/blog/sqe-prep-courses/

The SQE is the centralised assessment for anyone who wants to qualify as a solicitor in England and Wales. It is part of a new, four-stage route to becoming a solicitor:

Part 1: A degree (or equivalent) in any subject
Part 2: Pass SQE1 and SQE2 assessments
Part 3: A minimum of two years Qualifying Work Experience (QWE)
Part 4: how you are of satisfactory character and suitability

I'm assuming you already have a degree Daniel so you will be moving onto SQE1. In SQE1, you will be tested on ‘functioning legal knowledge’ which tests your application of law based on realistic client-based scenarios in multiple choice questions. The actual assessment for SQE1 costs: £1,558 for the two examinations, consisting of 180 questions each, testing functioning legal knowledge. (Correct Oct 2021) but you may want to complete the SQE Exam preparation course before which is £500: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/sqe1-exam-preparation-course/online/ OR the SQE preparation course which also helps you prepare for the QWE too: For ULaw, costs are London, Hong Kong: £5,500, Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Guildford, Norwich, Reading: £4,350, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield: £4,000, ONLINE is £3,500. If you studied with us before there are discounts and currently there is £500 off this latter course (and it includes the aforementioned course as part of it too) but please see the website for the most up to date fees: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/sqe-1-preparation-course/

Then you will progress onto SQE2. The assessment cost is £2,422 for the written and oral tasks, testing both practical legal knowledge and skills, including advocacy, client interviewing (with written attendance note/legal analysis), legal research, legal writing, legal drafting, and case and matter analysis. The preparation course is: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/sqe-2-preparation-course/ Similar costs as above but see the page for the most up to date fees.

Alternatively you may combine both in the LLM Legal Practice which allows you to access Masters funding: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/llm-sqe-1-and-2/.

If you are a non-law graduate you might also consider the PGDL, MA Law (SQE1), SQE Law Essentials.

So the assessment cost for both SQE1 & 2 is £3980 where ever you go but preparation costs vary depending on what you need from the course.

That's a lot of information that I've provided but I hope that it is useful.

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law

Thanks

@daniel19761 Hey, I’m planning on enrolling with Barbri next year. I’ve heard good reviews of their online course and they are affordable in comparison to other providers. Are you looking to study part time or full time?
Original post by aspiringsol95
@daniel19761 Hey, I’m planning on enrolling with Barbri next year. I’ve heard good reviews of their online course and they are affordable in comparison to other providers. Are you looking to study part time or full time?

Hi, sorry for the late response. I will be studying it part time due to work timings. Did you enroll with Barbri?
Reply 4
I did the Barbri prep course for SQE1 and took the exam in November. I highly rated the course (although I am sure others are just as good) but I felt like Barbri had fully prepped me for the exam - which was much harder than we were led to believe from the SRA website sample questions. We all get the results on Thursday. I have just started studying the SQE2 prep course with them (which they allow you to defer if you need to retake SQE1).
Hi, sorry for the late response. I will be studying it part time due to work timings. Did you enroll with Barbri?

Hey, @Daniel19761! I am planning on doing the 40 week course starting in April this year for the same reasons. I will be enrolling this week! I have started to prep and have realised I’ve not retained much from my degree and it already feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day!😭 Have you found anyone who will sign off your QWE?
Original post by Alenamai
I did the Barbri prep course for SQE1 and took the exam in November. I highly rated the course (although I am sure others are just as good) but I felt like Barbri had fully prepped me for the exam - which was much harder than we were led to believe from the SRA website sample questions. We all get the results on Thursday. I have just started studying the SQE2 prep course with them (which they allow you to defer if you need to retake SQE1).

If you don't mind me asking, did you manage to pass?
Original post by aspiringsol95
Hey, @Daniel19761! I am planning on doing the 40 week course starting in April this year for the same reasons. I will be enrolling this week! I have started to prep and have realised I’ve not retained much from my degree and it already feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day!😭 Have you found anyone who will sign off your QWE?

Thats great to hear. I will be working as a paralegal soon, so will be able to sign my QWE from them. I am unsure about whether or not to pair SQE with LLM.
Thats great to hear. I will be working as a paralegal soon, so will be able to sign my QWE from them. I am unsure about whether or not to pair SQE with LLM.

Same here! I know what you mean as I had to make that decision too. Although the LLM comes with funding overall it works out significantly more expensive for me which put me off along with the fact I wasn’t too fussed about the LLM aspect (haven’t written an essay in years) as I just really want to pass the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending