The Student Room Group

Linguistics applicants 2022

Just curious how everyone is doing. When is your interview and how are you feeling about it? How did you find the assessment, if you've had it already? (Don't disclose any specifics, of course.)

My interview's in about three weeks and I'm a bit apprehensive, as it'll be my first time being 'interrogated' by an expert. As for the assessment, I found it a bit tricky timewise- one hour didn't seem enough to both complete everything and carefully double check! But otherwise it went well.

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Thanks for starting the thread, I feel less alone now.
My interviews are in 2 weeks (I have 2) and I'm not sure what to expect. I've mock interviews today.
I was a bit surprised by the assessment (if you've done both specimen papers for prep, you'll know what I mean) but timing wise I think it was fine (however I have a habit of rushing in exams). I don't really know how to gauge what is good and what is bad in these though :/
What college have you applied to and what other unis?
I've only ever spoken to one actual, living breathing linguist so it's a bit scary.
Good luck!!
Reply 2
Yeah, not a lot of us here, are there?

Interesting that you've two interviews, while I ended up with one. Are all four(?) of your future interviewers linguists? As an applicant to St Edmund's, I'm to be interviewed by the admissions director (a zoologist) and the director of studies for linguistics there.

My other choices were UCL and the Universities of Edinburgh and Lancaster, as those seem to have good linguistics programmes as well. I'm guessing you have a similar roster? I would've liked to apply to Oxford as well, but don't tell my interviewers I said that.
Original post by Nicolosos
Yeah, not a lot of us here, are there?

Interesting that you've two interviews, while I ended up with one. Are all four(?) of your future interviewers linguists? As an applicant to St Edmund's, I'm to be interviewed by the admissions director (a zoologist) and the director of studies for linguistics there.

My other choices were UCL and the Universities of Edinburgh and Lancaster, as those seem to have good linguistics programmes as well. I'm guessing you have a similar roster? I would've liked to apply to Oxford as well, but don't tell my interviewers I said that.

No there really aren’t. On the general Cambridge one, there’s maybe five others but they’re only on the interview spreadsheet. St Edmund’s, that’s mature students isn’t it? Are you going for undergrad or postgrad?

I’ve applied to Caius for undergrad. My interviewers are all computational linguistics except for one who’s into language acquisition but even they have interests in computational. Please tell me why my instant reaction was “ew, computer nerds”.

I’ve applied for UCL and Edinburgh as well. York and Bangor have given me offers. Yes, I applied to Bangor because of David Crystal. Don’t judge me.

That’s so evil. How dare you utter the O word haha. I won’t tell your interviewer, don’t worry.
Reply 4
hello! thanks so much for creating this thread! i have an interview with king's thursday (both linguists have intrests in biligualism which is me :smile:) good luck to you all! how did the admissions assessment go for you?
Reply 5
i also applied to edinburgh lancaster and ucl, and i'm a reapplicant since oxf*rd didn't want me last year!

i quite weirdly enjoyed the assessment, especially the essay question, but i was a bit short on time and had a host of technical issues (email wasn't working, got logged off the zoom call during the exam etc...)

my interests are mostly around historical linguistics, bilingualism (i'm a french english bilingual) phonetics and sociolinguistics but i do find all areas of linguistics interesting! what about you guys?
Original post by t.iris
i also applied to edinburgh lancaster and ucl, and i'm a reapplicant since oxf*rd didn't want me last year!

i quite weirdly enjoyed the assessment, especially the essay question, but i was a bit short on time and had a host of technical issues (email wasn't working, got logged off the zoom call during the exam etc...)

my interests are mostly around historical linguistics, bilingualism (i'm a french english bilingual) phonetics and sociolinguistics but i do find all areas of linguistics interesting! what about you guys?

Haha I love the censoring. I agree, I panicked a little bit because I thought it would be exactly the same as the specimens but after I had a proper read it was fine because it wasn’t that different tbh. Aw shoot, that’s really annoying! But nonetheless I’m glad you’re positive about it :smile:

I’m not sure which areas I’d definitely specify in because I feel like my opinions of them will change throughout the course. At the minute I’m quite fond of phonology but I’m open to any part of linguistics. We’ll see what I’ll say in a year or so😂

Hehe I’m half French! I wish I could speak it more than I can. I didn’t speak it as much as Polish and English as a child and I mostly was just passively absorbing it through immersion. I did GCSE though but I didn’t really enjoy it as much as I enjoy German :/
I’ve my first interview today and I’ve mixed feelings about it but I reckon I shouldn’t worry too much. It’s just a bit scary that it’s finally happening.

I love that we've all applied to similar unis. I’d have applied to Lancaster but I needed a safe so I decided not to.

Bonne Chance :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by t.iris
hello! thanks so much for creating this thread! i have an interview with king's thursday (both linguists have intrests in biligualism which is me :smile:) good luck to you all! how did the admissions assessment go for you?

I didn’t see that you’d posted two messages haha. Good luck! Mine are mostly computational linguists (Caius college). I think I have a language acquisition one with side interests in computational (makes a lot of sense tbh) and a historical linguist. So this is gonna be interesting and I may need to brush up on what I did in robotics years ago.
Reply 8
Original post by ahws2022
Haha I love the censoring. I agree, I panicked a little bit because I thought it would be exactly the same as the specimens but after I had a proper read it was fine because it wasn’t that different tbh. Aw shoot, that’s really annoying! But nonetheless I’m glad you’re positive about it :smile:

I’m not sure which areas I’d definitely specify in because I feel like my opinions of them will change throughout the course. At the minute I’m quite fond of phonology but I’m open to any part of linguistics. We’ll see what I’ll say in a year or so😂

Hehe I’m half French! I wish I could speak it more than I can. I didn’t speak it as much as Polish and English as a child and I mostly was just passively absorbing it through immersion. I did GCSE though but I didn’t really enjoy it as much as I enjoy German :/
I’ve my first interview today and I’ve mixed feelings about it but I reckon I shouldn’t worry too much. It’s just a bit scary that it’s finally happening.

I love that we've all applied to similar unis. I’d have applied to Lancaster but I needed a safe so I decided not to.

Bonne Chance :biggrin:

wow! four languages! i also do german at school! (and english cause i go to school in france)
good luck/viel glück/bonne chance for your interview! hope it goes/went well!
what do you mean about lancaster not being a "safe"?? (what is a "safe"?)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by t.iris
wow! four languages! i also do german at school! (and english cause i go to school in france)
good luck/viel glück/bonne chance for your interview! hope it goes/went well!
what do you mean about lancaster not being a "safe"?? (what is a "safe"?)

Es war zu schlecht, je veux pleurer. I needed a uni with lower grades just in case and Lancaster would have been the same as my other ones :/
Reply 10
Es war zu schlecht, je veux pleurer. I needed a uni with lower grades just in case and Lancaster would have been the same as my other ones :/

oh no! why?
but do bear in mind that what's done is done and whatever will be will be (as doris day would put it), and that anyway it is very hard to judge your interview performance. please don't cry!
also yeah i have acheived grades so i don't really have the issue of safe lower grades.
and i have no doubt that even if cambridge doesn't work out (which you can only know on jan 25) you will thrive wherever you land! though i'm sure that you didn't doo as badly as you might think you have done- interviews are supposed to be hard!
Original post by t.iris
oh no! why?
but do bear in mind that what's done is done and whatever will be will be (as doris day would put it), and that anyway it is very hard to judge your interview performance. please don't cry!
also yeah i have acheived grades so i don't really have the issue of safe lower grades.
and i have no doubt that even if cambridge doesn't work out (which you can only know on jan 25) you will thrive wherever you land! though i'm sure that you didn't doo as badly as you might think you have done- interviews are supposed to be hard!

Thank you, that’s really helpful. The undergrads on the tech call are my new favourite people and I’ll speak to them tomorrow before the next interview. The challenge I had to do was one I’ve done before but every time I get explained it, it’s always different so I’m really confused in what I have to do so they basically did two questions and gave up. I’m gonna try to not cry, I’m hoping tomorrow will be better.

Ah yeh, my dad was telling me how he finds it weird that we apply without having done exams.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you, that’s really helpful. The undergrads on the tech call are my new favourite people and I’ll speak to them tomorrow before the next interview. The challenge I had to do was one I’ve done before but every time I get explained it, it’s always different so I’m really confused in what I have to do so they basically did two questions and gave up. I’m gonna try to not cry, I’m hoping tomorrow will be better.

Ah yeh, my dad was telling me how he finds it weird that we apply without having done exams.

and consider your second interview as a chance to show them more/better what you're worth if you feel like you didn't do this is your first. i'm actually quite jealous that you have two for that very reason, i only have one, so one chance to prove muself, one opportunity to mess up hahaha
Original post by t.iris
and consider your second interview as a chance to show them more/better what you're worth if you feel like you didn't do this is your first. i'm actually quite jealous that you have two for that very reason, i only have one, so one chance to prove muself, one opportunity to mess up hahaha

Yeh I’d hate to have just one. Hopefully the structure is better because I thought they’d start with ice breakers but they didn’t and I hadn’t the chance to warm up the the set up. You’ll do great don’t worry!

I think we probably had the same people on the tech call, but they were so nice! It made me feel a lot more relaxed. I also found the first task really difficult (if it was the same thing) but try not to worry, I'm sure you did better than you think :smile:
Original post by lilyminerva
I think we probably had the same people on the tech call, but they were so nice! It made me feel a lot more relaxed. I also found the first task really difficult (if it was the same thing) but try not to worry, I'm sure you did better than you think :smile:

I’m actually gonna rant to the undergrads tomorrow, I love them so much and I only spoke to them for ten minutes😭😂
Reply 16
St Edmund’s, that’s mature students isn’t it? Are you going for undergrad or postgrad?

Yes, I'm in my mid twenties, and applying for undergrad. Decided to change my course in life and pursue what I really love, so here we are.

I've just had my interview today and found it rather enjoyable. Perhaps I got lucky and wasn't hit with the tricky question that you and lilyminerva had. In two cases I had the wrong answer at first, but the interview prompted me to rethink my answer, and I was all like 'haha, just kidding, what I really meant to say was...'

I have however seen a graph floating around these forums showing that applicants' subjective impressions of how their interview went have essentially zero correlation with their actual odds of getting in. So, perhaps we're all making too much of it. Anyway, best of luck to you all!
Reply 17
god i have my interview tomorrow 😭😭😭i’ll try to enjoy it but i’m nervous as fck😭😭
Reply 18
Understandable that you're feeling apprehensive, I sure did, but I think it will go better than you're expecting.
Original post by Nicolosos
Yes, I'm in my mid twenties, and applying for undergrad. Decided to change my course in life and pursue what I really love, so here we are.

I've just had my interview today and found it rather enjoyable. Perhaps I got lucky and wasn't hit with the tricky question that you and lilyminerva had. In two cases I had the wrong answer at first, but the interview prompted me to rethink my answer, and I was all like 'haha, just kidding, what I really meant to say was...'

I have however seen a graph floating around these forums showing that applicants' subjective impressions of how their interview went have essentially zero correlation with their actual odds of getting in. So, perhaps we're all making too much of it. Anyway, best of luck to you all!

Aww that’s great! Well done. I’m glad it’s wasn’t too bad.

I had my second today and it was much better than yesterday’s.

Original post by t.iris
god i have my interview tomorrow 😭😭😭i’ll try to enjoy it but i’m nervous as fck😭😭

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending