The Student Room Group

Is It Worth doing architecture at UAL?!

I was wondering if doing architecture at UAL is worth it? This is because the architecture course at UAL is not accredited by ARB part 1 which this leads me to be unable to do masters for architecture (ARB/RIBA) part 2 at UCL. Can anyone one help me out with this as I am not sure what to do? I’ve applied to UCL but there’s a chance that they might reject me
Reply 1
Why not look at oxford brookes, they are part of the RIBA.
Reply 2
Original post by 00Nisha
Why not look at oxford brookes, they are part of the RIBA.

RIBA is not a problem but it needs to be part of ARB
Original post by Emir_0808
I was wondering if doing architecture at UAL is worth it? This is because the architecture course at UAL is not accredited by ARB part 1 which this leads me to be unable to do masters for architecture (ARB/RIBA) part 2 at UCL. Can anyone one help me out with this as I am not sure what to do? I’ve applied to UCL but there’s a chance that they might reject me

Hi Emir, it is me Gato again from the other topic about architecture.

Yes, there is a chance that they might reject you, but also a chance that they might accept you. Central St Martin is one of the World's best place for fashion design students, but I have no idea about architecture students there. It is a very popular place.

I do not know how many Universities have you applied for - for the architecture course but it is always best to apply to various Universities just in case you get rejected for a place in Central St Martins. As long as you have a good grade and a great portfolio, your chance will be higher.

University of Portsmouth is a good place to study architecture and is a great city for students too. I was a Mathematics student there about 25 years ago and also live there :smile: I used to work as an architectural technician before attending this University so I know bit about architecture world.

Do not worry too much about getting rejected as long as you have applied for other Universities as "back-up" plan.
Reply 4
Original post by GatoMessi
Hi Emir, it is me Gato again from the other topic about architecture.

Yes, there is a chance that they might reject you, but also a chance that they might accept you. Central St Martin is one of the World's best place for fashion design students, but I have no idea about architecture students there. It is a very popular place.

I do not know how many Universities have you applied for - for the architecture course but it is always best to apply to various Universities just in case you get rejected for a place in Central St Martins. As long as you have a good grade and a great portfolio, your chance will be higher.

University of Portsmouth is a good place to study architecture and is a great city for students too. I was a Mathematics student there about 25 years ago and also live there :smile: I used to work as an architectural technician before attending this University so I know bit about architecture world.

Do not worry too much about getting rejected as long as you have applied for other Universities as "back-up" plan.

I've applied to UCL, UAL, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Although I've applied to 3 unis outside London, I still kinda want to stay in London. I might consider retaking a specific subject if needed or apply through clearing if needed. I agree with the fact that UAL is mostly known for its excellent fashion design department.

Do you think it will matter so much on where I do my undergraduate degree because I will be also considering to do Architecture at Master's degree? I feel like as long as I do really good at my Bachelor degree and then getting into top architecture uni like UCL to do my Master's, I'll be fine and be scouted by top architecture firms. What do your think?
I've applied to UCL, UAL, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Although I've applied to 3 unis outside London, I still kinda want to stay in London. I might consider retaking a specific subject if needed or apply through clearing if needed. I agree with the fact that UAL is mostly known for its excellent fashion design department.

Do you think it will matter so much on where I do my undergraduate degree because I will be also considering to do Architecture at Master's degree? I feel like as long as I do really good at my Bachelor degree and then getting into top architecture uni like UCL to do my Master's, I'll be fine and be scouted by top architecture firms. What do your think?

Probably great idea, but better to check to see if you can transfer into UCL to do your Masters after graduating elsewhere.

Thought it is worth considering that many prefer Westminster to UAL (after checking previous postings here)

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/courses/architecture-bsc-hons-2021-2a418b8f658c
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/university-of-westminster-w50/courses/architecture-ba-hons-2021-ce5b6193c0aa

As you can see that Westminster has higher percentage than UCL from past students

For example:
37% Course is well organised and has run smoothly that's from UCL compare to 72% from Westminster

Source: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/
Reply 6
Original post by GatoMessi
Probably great idea, but better to check to see if you can transfer into UCL to do your Masters after graduating elsewhere.

Thought it is worth considering that many prefer Westminster to UAL (after checking previous postings here)

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/courses/architecture-bsc-hons-2021-2a418b8f658c
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/university-of-westminster-w50/courses/architecture-ba-hons-2021-ce5b6193c0aa

As you can see that Westminster has higher percentage than UCL from past students

For example:
37% Course is well organised and has run smoothly that's from UCL compare to 72% from Westminster

Source: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/

Thank you so much for searching for it for me! Appreciate that.

If I can't get into UCL or UAL (because of the ARB accreditation situation) I will definitely consider the University of Westminster for clearing.

I thought you could go and study elsewhere to do your Master's after finishing your Bachelor's. I will research that whether if I could get into UCL to do my Master's if I complete my Bachelor's in a different Uni e.g. Westminster.

If you go to UAL's architecture course page, you can find their programme spec pdf which lists the course as being precribed by the ARB.

Also, here's from the ARB website "University of the Arts London/Central Saint Martins BA (Hons) Architecture should be prescribed for the period between 31 May 2020 to 31 May 2025;" - incase you have any other doubts
https://arb.org.uk/qualifications/ba-hons-architecture-3/?university=1818
Reply 8
Original post by Luna.Arabis
If you go to UAL's architecture course page, you can find their programme spec pdf which lists the course as being precribed by the ARB.

Also, here's from the ARB website "University of the Arts London/Central Saint Martins BA (Hons) Architecture should be prescribed for the period between 31 May 2020 to 31 May 2025;" - incase you have any other doubts
https://arb.org.uk/qualifications/ba-hons-architecture-3/?university=1818

Oh wow! Thank you so much, especially finding out the key information I needed. I mean how did I not find that. I guess I am not great at researching. :biggrin:
i am in my third year of architecture at csm and its definitely accredited , and i overall recommend the course
Reply 10
was it hard to get into? i dont have the predicted grades for it was wondering how much that matters.
Reply 11
i am currently doing the foundation art diploma at UAL : CSM which counts as an entry requiremnt
Original post by UJleo
was it hard to get into? i dont have the predicted grades for it was wondering how much that matters.

I personally did a foundation diploma beforehand as I got average a-level grades, and usually that is enough to get in (alongside a really strong and well curated portfolio) it’s highly competitive but I think it’s still worth giving it a shot regardless of your predicted grades, I was given the impression that they care more about your portfolio than grades
Reply 13
Do you think it’s possible to get into the foundation without A levels and just igcse?
Original post by sakura8899
Do you think it’s possible to get into the foundation without A levels and just igcse?

At UAL. Unlikely.

you would be better applying for an extended diploma instead like https://www.csvpa.com/course/extended-diploma-in-art-design/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending