The Student Room Group

Tips on getting a/a*

Hello, i just started philosophy and ethics and i was wondering if i could get some tips on getting an A or A*
Reply 1
Study
Reply 2
Original post by C1A
Study

yeah of course, I'm in year 12 so I was asking for a revision method.
Original post by e.esther
yeah of course, I'm in year 12 so I was asking for a revision method.

I didn't do philosophy but my friends did and said its really theoretical so I'd suggest exam questions and flashcards
Reply 4
Practice questions and breaking down questions by key term so that you know exactly what is expected of you.

Note making/bulletpointing of key theoretical points will help. Be as succinct as possible.
make an essay plan for every topic. An essay plan for a topic will cover pretty much everything that could come up as a 3/5/12 marker for that topic (with some exceptions). Making an essay plan also forces you to understand the relevance of the arguments, how they link together and their individual weighting. This helps a lot with 5/12 markers, because if you understand the argument you will remember it.

Also, if you do this for every topic throughout the year your revision will be SO MUCH EASIER. really, my revision right now is just revising essay plans nd that works for the whole topic.

https://philosophyalevel.com/ - Philosophy A level, it's really good for getting an overview of a topic but it really over-simplifies everything so don't use this to get your content just use it for revision / to start o get your head around something.

Watch lots of YouTube video's and read around your subject. the essays that I got 25/25 on are the ones where I went out of my way to read current formulations of a theory or modern arguments against it. You don't have to include those arguments in the essay, it just helps for understanding. Also weight your arguments. If you write an essay and don't sound like you either want to marry / bash the skull in of the theory you are arguing for / against then there is an issue.

Honestly I'm in year 13 so might not be the best person to take advice from, but so far this has worked well for me. this is also a combination of feed back I have heard from my teacher as well. If you want any essay plans for certain topics feel free to DM me and I cant send you my old ones.
Original post by gjd800
Practice questions and breaking down questions by key term so that you know exactly what is expected of you.

Note making/bulletpointing of key theoretical points will help. Be as succinct as possible.

+1 on notes. Preferably with multi-colored pens. Night and day difference for me.
Reply 7
Original post by ivywalkerrr
make an essay plan for every topic. An essay plan for a topic will cover pretty much everything that could come up as a 3/5/12 marker for that topic (with some exceptions). Making an essay plan also forces you to understand the relevance of the arguments, how they link together and their individual weighting. This helps a lot with 5/12 markers, because if you understand the argument you will remember it.

Also, if you do this for every topic throughout the year your revision will be SO MUCH EASIER. really, my revision right now is just revising essay plans nd that works for the whole topic.

https://philosophyalevel.com/ - Philosophy A level, it's really good for getting an overview of a topic but it really over-simplifies everything so don't use this to get your content just use it for revision / to start o get your head around something.

Watch lots of YouTube video's and read around your subject. the essays that I got 25/25 on are the ones where I went out of my way to read current formulations of a theory or modern arguments against it. You don't have to include those arguments in the essay, it just helps for understanding. Also weight your arguments. If you write an essay and don't sound like you either want to marry / bash the skull in of the theory you are arguing for / against then there is an issue.

Honestly I'm in year 13 so might not be the best person to take advice from, but so far this has worked well for me. this is also a combination of feed back I have heard from my teacher as well. If you want any essay plans for certain topics feel free to DM me and I cant send you my old ones.

ok, Thanks a lot!! this is very useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending