The Student Room Group

Should i quit my job for uni?

I hate my job, I only work 16 hours but it's so terrible and I never achieve the goals. I always get told off by colleagues and managers for not doing the job well and it's making me miserable. Sometimes i even get called in to do overtime which i always dread. I'm also in the 3rd year of uni and I have exams etc. I can easily balance the job with uni (so far...might get harder later idk? ) but I just HATE the job with a passion because I'm just so **** at it. It's also my first ever job and I've only been there for 4 months. I feel like if I leave now, I'd be worse off in the long run since if i quit, I can't talk about anything else on my CV apart from my degree. I really want to quit but i don't want to at the same time since I like the extra money, experience and it helps me to become more confident in talking to people. But at the same time it is both physically and mentally draining and I really don't want it to impact my final year studies since it is worth 75% of my final degree classification this year! HELP me make a decision pleaseeee!
You could look for another job, whilst you are still working at the current one? Then you won't have to worry about losing the experience, or being jobless. It's so bad working at a place you hate. I quitted my first job, to focus on my a - level 2 years back, because it generally was the worst job I had, staff members were two - faced and horrible. Literally it does feel such a relief leaving a horrible workplace. And hopefully you can make a decision whether to quit. But honestly if university is your priority, then I would say either look for another job or quit the job, because if it is mentally draining then you are going to blame yourself in the future if you don't do well in your uni work.
Original post by Anonymous
I hate my job, I only work 16 hours but it's so terrible and I never achieve the goals. I always get told off by colleagues and managers for not doing the job well and it's making me miserable. Sometimes i even get called in to do overtime which i always dread. I'm also in the 3rd year of uni and I have exams etc. I can easily balance the job with uni (so far...might get harder later idk? ) but I just HATE the job with a passion because I'm just so **** at it. It's also my first ever job and I've only been there for 4 months. I feel like if I leave now, I'd be worse off in the long run since if i quit, I can't talk about anything else on my CV apart from my degree. I really want to quit but i don't want to at the same time since I like the extra money, experience and it helps me to become more confident in talking to people. But at the same time it is both physically and mentally draining and I really don't want it to impact my final year studies since it is worth 75% of my final degree classification this year! HELP me make a decision pleaseeee!

Hi, i feel there's two issues going on here. Firstly the job and secondly your degree.

For the job, it sounds like you want to quit, so quit. Nothing is worse your mental health. It's just not worth it. There'll be other jobs and other opportunities.

For your degree, if you quit now and don't get another job then you can write about the job you had. You can write about other stuff you did during your degree, like projects and group work you did. A lot of people don't have a job during university and do next to nothing, in that aspect you'll be fine. So yeah you'll have to exaggerate stuff and it will be difficult. But then it sounds like your job is also difficult.

The way I see things is... Don't live life to fulfil a piece of paper. If you want to stay in the job for money or experience stay. But don't stay there just so it looks good on your cv.
Reply 3
Original post by Queenbee1323
You could look for another job, whilst you are still working at the current one? Then you won't have to worry about losing the experience, or being jobless. It's so bad working at a place you hate. I quitted my first job, to focus on my a - level 2 years back, because it generally was the worst job I had, staff members were two - faced and horrible. Literally it does feel such a relief leaving a horrible workplace. And hopefully you can make a decision whether to quit. But honestly if university is your priority, then I would say either look for another job or quit the job, because if it is mentally draining then you are going to blame yourself in the future if you don't do well in your uni work.

That's true, may I ask how long were you at the job for before you quit? I feel like leaving a job after only 6 months would look bad to future employers.
Reply 4
Original post by >Username<
Hi, i feel there's two issues going on here. Firstly the job and secondly your degree.

For the job, it sounds like you want to quit, so quit. Nothing is worse your mental health. It's just not worth it. There'll be other jobs and other opportunities.

For your degree, if you quit now and don't get another job then you can write about the job you had. You can write about other stuff you did during your degree, like projects and group work you did. A lot of people don't have a job during university and do next to nothing, in that aspect you'll be fine. So yeah you'll have to exaggerate stuff and it will be difficult. But then it sounds like your job is also difficult.

The way I see things is... Don't live life to fulfil a piece of paper. If you want to stay in the job for money or experience stay. But don't stay there just so it looks good on your cv.

Yeah I'm going to have to quit/ I just feel bad for letting my manager down, leaving some friends behind and feeling like an unemployed loser again. It took me 2 years to find a job cause I kept getting rejected due to having no experience. And now I finally get one and I just hate it!
Yes, I would have to exaggerate a little bit on my CV you're right, it's my own fault for not taking part in extra-curricular activities during my time at college and uni.
That's true, may I ask how long were you at the job for before you quit? I feel like leaving a job after only 6 months would look bad to future employers.

I literally started work in February and then ended in July in 2019, stopped working to focus on my alevels which I put on my cv. Some employers do ask, but you can say u was focusing on university, and that's the truth. U wasn't fired or anything, so dw about it being bad. Also, you can say you wanted to gain new experience or skills, and that previous job was not providing it u etc. I got a new job anyways, with that on my cv, and honestly if an employer likes you and you have skills for the job, I don't think they will bother about how long you stayed on ur previous job. :smile:
Reply 6
How about you only work until Christmas is over or around January time? That way you’ve got more money saved up for the future months and for uni so there will be less pressure overall.
Reply 7
Original post by Queenbee1323
I literally started work in February and then ended in July in 2019, stopped working to focus on my alevels which I put on my cv. Some employers do ask, but you can say u was focusing on university, and that's the truth. U wasn't fired or anything, so dw about it being bad. Also, you can say you wanted to gain new experience or skills, and that previous job was not providing it u etc. I got a new job anyways, with that on my cv, and honestly if an employer likes you and you have skills for the job, I don't think they will bother about how long you stayed on ur previous job. :smile:

Thanks a lot, that gives me hope. I guess it's not really about the duration of the job but more about the skills you gained and how they would help future applications.

It certainly will not look bad, especially for graduate roles. I worked at Zara for one month, hated it, and quit. I've never been asked why I only worked there for one month in all the interviews that I've had since.

Remember, you're not unemployed if you're in full time study.

Do take part in Societies, extracurriculars etc. and try and get leadership positions. These things are important.
Reply 9
Original post by Honey57
How about you only work until Christmas is over or around January time? That way you’ve got more money saved up for the future months and for uni so there will be less pressure overall.

I'm thinking of handing in my notice mid- december, then I can leave early January and put June-January on my CV. Money really isn't an issue, I have quite a lot earnt from this job along with student finance, I'm also living at home so my parents can help me out for a year or so. Its just mainly for experience and to have a sperate kind of life away from uni.
Original post by econhelp525
It certainly will not look bad, especially for graduate roles. I worked at Zara for one month, hated it, and quit. I've never been asked why I only worked there for one month in all the interviews that I've had since.

Remember, you're not unemployed if you're in full time study.

Do take part in Societies, extracurriculars etc. and try and get leadership positions. These things are important.

You know what's funny? The job I am talking about is Zara🤣. So I'm sure you understand why I'm thinking about leaving....It's such an awful job. I wanted to leave after a month too, but they renewed my contract and then made me permanent. So I thought the pay was actually really great for a student and I might as well brave it out for a few more months to get something on my CV. If they made me permanent maybe they think I'm doing alright? Although I've heard that they renew everyone's contract because they are desperate for staff? Here I am 6 months later, I still hate the job, I'm not improving and I think that's more than enough time to realise that the job just isn't for me.
You know what's funny? The job I am talking about is Zara🤣. So I'm sure you understand why I'm thinking about leaving....It's such an awful job. I wanted to leave after a month too, but they renewed my contract and then made me permanent. So I thought the pay was actually really great for a student and I might as well brave it out for a few more months to get something on my CV. If they made me permanent maybe they think I'm doing alright? Although I've heard that they renew everyone's contract because they are desperate for staff? Here I am 6 months later, I still hate the job, I'm not improving and I think that's more than enough time to realise that the job just isn't for me.

The Zara I worked in had a "We're Hiring!" sign permanently up. Almost every Zara does. Ridiculously high turnover, they make everyone a permanent hire after a month or so lol. It has nothing to do with performance at all, because they quite literally don't care about you.

Yeah, pay's actually really good for a student working part-time, but, like, the degree of disrespect etc. is just not worth it. And, it's not even something worthwhile when it comes to employment/grad schemes! You'd be better suited doing extracurriculars, and stuff like that. Build your CV more like that, show you're versatile. Trust me, no one will care that you left Zara after 6 months. You're a student, it's fine.
Yeah I'm going to have to quit/ I just feel bad for letting my manager down, leaving some friends behind and feeling like an unemployed loser again. It took me 2 years to find a job cause I kept getting rejected due to having no experience. And now I finally get one and I just hate it!
Yes, I would have to exaggerate a little bit on my CV you're right, it's my own fault for not taking part in extra-curricular activities during my time at college and uni.

So for your manager, forget them lol. Have you seen that meme online that says something like I worked here for 20 years and I was replaced in 2 minutes. I have this thing against mangers that they act like they care but none of them do! The friends things, I understand, it's one of them where you can stay but it's not helping you. And maybe your friends will also leave because it's so bad.

I get the unemployed thing that's a very difficult thing to get your head around. I know the feeling completely. Tbh... It is a bad situation. I suppose you wanted to ride it out until the end and leave when you got another job. I guess like I said before, is it worth your mental health? Because you have this experience getting another job should be easier in the future but that doesn't take away how you're feeling now I guess.

And look... Everyone exaggerates on their cv lol. Don't beat yourself up about not having done stuff. Like I said... Do stuff because you want to not for your cv. Most people don't do extra stuff, it's difficult trying to navigate studying and doing all this extra stuff and having a job. Studying is hard enough.
What job you doing?
Original post by econhelp525
The Zara I worked in had a "We're Hiring!" sign permanently up. Almost every Zara does. Ridiculously high turnover, they make everyone a permanent hire after a month or so lol. It has nothing to do with performance at all, because they quite literally don't care about you.

Yeah, pay's actually really good for a student working part-time, but, like, the degree of disrespect etc. is just not worth it. And, it's not even something worthwhile when it comes to employment/grad schemes! You'd be better suited doing extracurriculars, and stuff like that. Build your CV more like that, show you're versatile. Trust me, no one will care that you left Zara after 6 months. You're a student, it's fine.

May I ask which Zara was it that you worked at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending