The Student Room Group

AS Levels

I am currently in my first year of college, where I take Politics. We sit it as an AS level then can advance onto the A2 course if we wish. I was wondering, does your AS grade influence your full A-Level grade, like is it 50% of it or what, it's just nobody has explained this to me and I'm not sure how it works.
Reply 1
It depends on what exam board you take. If I'm not mistaken, CIE may be the only one that combines AS and A2 marks to complete your overall grade (which has a 50%-50% breakdown). You might find more details in your syllabus guide.
Reply 2
Original post by wifd149
It depends on what exam board you take. If I'm not mistaken, CIE may be the only one that combines AS and A2 marks to complete your overall grade (which has a 50%-50% breakdown). You might find more details in your syllabus guide.

Ah ok thank you, I'll try and find the syllabus then.
Reply 3
Which country are you in? If you're in England then the AS grade will not contribute to the final A level grade. The A level grade will be based purely on the exams you take at the end of the course. This applies to AQA, Edexcel, OCR and Eduqas exam boards.

If you're international or in Wales or Northern Ireland then there is still AS and A2.
Reply 4
I am in England. Basically, we do half of the exams at the end of the first year and the other half after the second, so essentially each year is 50% of the course, which is why I'm confused.
Reply 5
Original post by Katyjaneted
I am in England. Basically, we do half of the exams at the end of the first year and the other half after the second, so essentially each year is 50% of the course, which is why I'm confused.

If you are a state school it will not be like this - only linear A levels (where the whole thing is assessed at the end of the course) are approved for teaching in English state schools. You study half of the content in Y12 and half in Y13, but only the exams at the end of the course will count towards the A level grade. Even if you take AS exams in Year 12 they do not contribute to the final A level grade. If you're at a private school then it's possible that you're taking CAIE A levels which are international A levels and so do have AS and A2.

I recommend you check with your teachers exactly what you are doing.
Reply 6
Original post by EOData
If you are a state school it will not be like this - only linear A levels (where the whole thing is assessed at the end of the course) are approved for teaching in English state schools. You study half of the content in Y12 and half in Y13, but only the exams at the end of the course will count towards the A level grade. Even if you take AS exams in Year 12 they do not contribute to the final A level grade. If you're at a private school then it's possible that you're taking CAIE A levels which are international A levels and so do have AS and A2.

I recommend you check with your teachers exactly what you are doing.

Yeah I'm at college, maybe it is only the final 2 exams that are counted then, thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest