The Student Room Group

New lockdown/plan C?

I will be absolutely furious if they do anything close to a lockdown in the next few weeks. They already stole one Christmas from us - they won't steal a second. Certainly not if they're allowed to have parties and we're not. This omicron variant is a big fuss over nothing. Yes it is more infectious, but no one has even been hospitalised with it...no one has died from it. South African scientists and medics have said it is extremely mild. Who cares if infections are rising? People get infected with all sorts at this time of year anyway. I usually think the anti-lockdown people are a bunch of cranks, and the anti-vaxxers certainly are but I am beginning to see their point...there is no end in sight for this crap. They'll always be a "new variant" to come along and do something. Is it just a coincidence, or wasn't it more or less the same time last year that a new "variant" was discovered that f*cked things up? Lockdown sent me into something close to a mental breakdown (along with other things granted but lockdown exarcebated them), I have worked so damn hard to get to where I am now and there is no way on this earth I will let the faceless scientists and beauracrats at the government take that from me. Vaccine passports, maybe, okay that's sensible ish but still a bit dodgy if you ask me. Any rule limit on numbers allowed to gather? F*ck no. Closing pubs/clubs etc? No way. Maybe we should just close down parliament. Clearly a large contributor to the covid rate given how frequently they break their own rules that they expect us to follow, and in general making the lives of us plebs a misery
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrograd
I will be absolutely furious if they do anything close to a lockdown in the next few weeks. They already stole one Christmas from us - they won't steal a second. Certainly not if they're allowed to have parties and we're not. This omicron variant is a big fuss over nothing. Yes it is more infectious, but no one has even been hospitalised with it...no one has died from it. South African scientists and medics have said it is extremely mild. Who cares if infections are rising? People get infected with all sorts at this time of year anyway. I usually think the anti-lockdown people are a bunch of cranks, and the anti-vaxxers certainly are but I am beginning to see their point...there is no end in sight for this crap. They'll always be a "new variant" to come along and do something. Is it just a coincidence, or wasn't it more or less the same time last year that a new "variant" was discovered that f*cked things up? Lockdown sent me into something close to a mental breakdown (along with other things granted but lockdown exarcebated them), I have worked so damn hard to get to where I am now and there is no way on this earth I will let the faceless scientists and beauracrats at the government take that from me. Vaccine passports, maybe, okay that's sensible ish but still a bit dodgy if you ask me. Any rule limit on numbers allowed to gather? F*ck no. Closing pubs/clubs etc? No way. Maybe we should just close down parliament. Clearly a large contributor to the covid rate given how frequently they break their own rules that they expect us to follow, and in general making the lives of us plebs a misery

Look let's be truthful, there is going to be another full lockdown soon
Reply 2
78,000 daily cases yesterday. Seems like a lockdown is definitely incoming.
Original post by wifd149

But less than 200 deaths
The omicron variant will just mean herd immunity is finally readhed
We have never had a lockdown unless you were a person who was clinically extremely vulnerable. Please call them restrictions, which have been to varying degrees and not applicable to anyone close to Boris Johnson it seems.

I would prefer large gatherings to be cancelled or have restricted numbers such that social distancing is possible. I'm sure that it will not be nice but no great loss if football stadiums are only a quarter full. I'd be happy to see no New Years Eve celebrations in return for family gatherings at Christmas, for example.

My guess is whatever restrictions are imposed, it will be in the first week of January.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wifd149

You hide in your own house then because I am not complying with any possible lockdown
Reply 6
UK. Please be careful.
HK is going to stop any plane from you from landing into our territory for the 3rd time.
We stopped your flights for 4 months due to Alpha, 2 months due to Delta.
Reply 7
But less than 200 deaths

Give it a week at least :s-smilie: Those 200 deaths were probably from last week's Delta; C has an incubation period of 14 days and another 5-10 days of infection before the symptoms get worst.
Reply 8
But less than 200 deaths

Give it a week at least :s-smilie: Those 200 deaths were probably from last week's Delta; C has an incubation period of 14 days and another 5-10 days of infection before the symptoms get worst.

On a good note though, I'm praying that anymore new variants would always get progressively weaker. That's good news. Will wait to see what happens in January - February.

Original post by Gillian My Heart
You hide in your own house then because I am not complying with any possible lockdown

Lockdown's so far has been about closing stores at worst and curfews at best? Granted January's hospitalization was at an all-time high of approximately 40,000 daily. I don't think that they prohibit anyone from leaving their homes precisely outside of curfew though.

Feel free to go out and party. At this point, loads of people has gotten C, some ok and some had it bad. Not sure how hospitalization rates would be like these few months; I don't think hospital staffs are exempted from catching C and that means many wouldn't get treatment.
There does not need to be another lockdown
Well we're almost certainly getting one, in the next 48 hours likely.
A lockdown (or severe restrictions) seems inevitable now. Trouble is I don't think anybody really cares how many cases or deaths there are now - it's just a number and people have had enough of being told what they can and can't do. I don't expect much compliance with new rules.

I'm a university student so as long as in-person teaching continues as normal next term I won't be too annoyed, aside from the economic damage it causes.
It's going to happen. Leaving it till after Xmas only makes it worse in the end.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's going to happen. Leaving it till after Xmas only makes it worse in the end.

Mind numbing watching them make the exact same political willpower mistake 2 years in a row isn't it? :borat:
They can bring another lockdown but weather people follow it is a different story

Original post by Gillian My Heart
Look let's be truthful, there is going to be another full lockdown soon

I say get Christmas and New year over then have a full lockdown on January 1st that’s only fair. We need a lockdown so why not have it in the most economically quiet time of the year, January February and March.
Original post by Ambitious1999
I say get Christmas and New year over then have a full lockdown on January 1st that’s only fair. We need a lockdown so why not have it in the most economically quiet time of the year, January February and March.

The Virus, she no respect your holidays :frown:

The first quarter isn't economically quiet for some sectors. It might be for Christmas goods, but it isn't for, say, technology.

No we don't.
Everyone I know other than my parents say they will be ignoring the lockdown rules if they come into place.
I've been triple jabbed. worn a mask everywhere. Done my bit.
If the government cant do theres and antivaxxers cant do theirs why should i do mine.
I will still wear my mask but I won't limit my social life just because the government says so. They're drunk on power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending