The Student Room Group

Should I drop A-level Chemistry

I am in Year 12 and I study Maths, Physics and Chemistry and I want to go into engineering. I am struggling with keeping up with these and they're so hard. I am a native French speaker so should I switch A-level Chemistry with French A-level.
Get a tutor!
You already speak French so why do something you already know?
Will you do the same at uni? No.
Original post by sun40fizzy
I am in Year 12 and I study Maths, Physics and Chemistry and I want to go into engineering. I am struggling with keeping up with these and they're so hard. I am a native French speaker so should I switch A-level Chemistry with French A-level.

Chemistry will likely look better to future employers than French (if you want to go into engineering), but if keeping chemistry is going to lower the grades of your other subjects, then obviously think again :smile:

Hi there.
If universities enable you to enrol onto their engineering courses without A level chemistry then dropping it would be a serious consideration to make. I did both chemistry and French A level and I personally felt Chemistry was more difficult. If french is your native language then catching up shouldn't be an issue. French also covers french culture and doing an independent research topic in your speaking exam - just a heads up. Otherwise its vocab, grammar and skills.

Best wishes.
Reply 4
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.
If universities enable you to enrol onto their engineering courses without A level chemistry then dropping it would be a serious consideration to make. I did both chemistry and French A level and I personally felt Chemistry was more difficult. If french is your native language then catching up shouldn't be an issue. French also covers french culture and doing an independent research topic in your speaking exam - just a heads up. Otherwise its vocab, grammar and skills.

Best wishes.

Hello!
Yes I do believe that if I dropped Chemistry that I would have 2 heavy subjects and 1 somewhat easy one which would be so much easier to handle. I love Maths and Physics but I don't particluarly like Chemistry. For French my mum is a French teacher so she could help me with the writing which is what I'm not that good at. I did get a 9 at GCSE though.
Thanks for the heads up!
Reply 5
Original post by Yvaa
Get a tutor!
You already speak French so why do something you already know?
Will you do the same at uni? No.

I have already considered getting a tutor but they are so expensive and my family don't have much money so I wouldn't be able to get one. From what I've seen A-level tutors are out of price
I have already considered getting a tutor but they are so expensive and my family don't have much money so I wouldn't be able to get one. From what I've seen A-level tutors are out of price

Have you heard of tuforful or superprof? They have affordable tutors.
Crash course on YouTube have lovely series on chemistry, you may end up enjoying chemistry.
Which particular section are you struggling with? Perhaps you need to change your study strategy.
The last thing you want to do is get rid of chemistry and then struggle at university because you somewhat lack foundation.
Believe it or not if you understand chemistry, a lot of things in your field (Which degree particular type are you pursuing ?)

How is French going to help you in your degree?
Careful though, some top universities disadvantage candidates who take an A Level in their native language.
Reply 8
Original post by Yvaa
Have you heard of tuforful or superprof? They have affordable tutors.
Crash course on YouTube have lovely series on chemistry, you may end up enjoying chemistry.
Which particular section are you struggling with? Perhaps you need to change your study strategy.
The last thing you want to do is get rid of chemistry and then struggle at university because you somewhat lack foundation.
Believe it or not if you understand chemistry, a lot of things in your field (Which degree particular type are you pursuing ?)

How is French going to help you in your degree?

I will check on those websites I haven't heard of them until now. I left the school for two weeks to pursue my A-levels online but changed my mind so I came bacck and the catching up is too much. I missed so much and French wouldn't help with mny degree but neither will chemistry. Chemistry is just advised but Maths and Physics is all I really need. If I can focus on only Maths and Physics and just do enough to get a good grade French I think I'll be fine.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest