The Student Room Group

Solo Travelling for the first time

What did it feel like for you travelling solo for the first time?
I felt somewhat free since I wasn't responsible for anyone. And in general, I like to rest alone, so I had a really good rest.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Georgelennon
What did it feel like for you travelling solo for the first time?

Amazing!
I wouldn’t say i’m a seasoned traveller , but the few trips i’ve done on my own were good

Back then i was a lot more peaceful w myself and the world, there’s a kind of bliss you need to have to appreciate solo travel imo.
Original post by EconomicsStud3nt
I wouldn’t say i’m a seasoned traveller , but the few trips i’ve done on my own were good

Back then i was a lot more peaceful w myself and the world, there’s a kind of bliss you need to have to appreciate solo travel imo.

What is the biggest advice you would give to me as a first time solo traveller?
Original post by jaksonKreisee33
I felt free in a way since I was not responsible for anyone. And in general, I like to rest on my own, so I really get a good rest.

That is actually what I am looking for, that feeling is still non existent now but I am hopeful, it goes as planned
It's amazing. There's freedom in being able to enjoy a whole new environment by yourself, and it feels great being able to go at your own pace. You get to see the sights you want to see, chunk your time up the way you want to, and follow no one else's rhythm but your own. You learn how to solve problems by yourself (I had a wisdom teeth infection and needed to get them extracted while overseas) and most likely will gain some memories which will be funny in hindsight - think language barriers, miscommunications, missed flights/trains/buses etc. I solo backpacked after university and have since chosen to travel solo whenever I can.

The only downside is the inability to get yourself into photos whenever you want, but some people use selfie sticks to cope with that.
where are you going?
Original post by Tsrloverrr
where are you going?

Perth, Western Australia for my bachelor's degree
Original post by journeyaway
It's amazing. There's freedom in being able to enjoy a whole new environment by yourself, and it feels great being able to go at your own pace. You get to see the sights you want to see, chunk your time up the way you want to, and follow no one else's rhythm but your own. You learn how to solve problems by yourself (I had a wisdom teeth infection and needed to get them extracted while overseas) and most likely will gain some memories which will be funny in hindsight - think language barriers, miscommunications, missed flights/trains/buses etc. I solo backpacked after university and have since chosen to travel solo whenever I can.

The only downside is the inability to get yourself into photos whenever you want, but some people use selfie sticks to cope with that.

You put together an amazing story, I really enjoyed reading it. If anything, it only makes me more excited to travel alone. I insisted to everyone in the family that I will be travelling alone and they also don't want to travel with me anyway. My friends aren't going to place I am going to so, I guess I am travelling all on my own for the first time ever
Original post by Georgelennon
You put together an amazing story, I really enjoyed reading it. If anything, it only makes me more excited to travel alone. I insisted to everyone in the family that I will be travelling alone and they also don't want to travel with me anyway. My friends aren't going to place I am going to so, I guess I am travelling all on my own for the first time ever

You're going to make some great memories for yourself :smile: I see from your post above that you're heading to Perth, Western Australia for your Bachelor's - congratulations! Australia is easy to get around, plus you won't have language barriers. Since you'll be spending lots of time at Western Australia, you'll have the opportunity to visit other parts of Australia - and even New Zealand too, once the borders reopen. I'd say the only thing to prepare yourself for is the extreme summer Australian heat, but you'll learn and adapt. The locals will tell you the best things to do too.
Reply 11
You're going to make some great memories for yourself :smile: I see from your post above that you're heading to Perth, Western Australia for your Bachelor's - congratulations! Australia is easy to get around, plus you won't have language barriers. Since you'll be spending lots of time at Western Australia, you'll have the opportunity to visit other parts of Australia - and even New Zealand too, once the borders reopen. I'd say the only thing to prepare yourself for is the extreme summer Australian heat, but you'll learn and adapt. The locals will tell you the best things to do too.

have you been to Perth and what do you mean Australia is easy to get around? Perth is extremely remote from most of the population.
Original post by Joleee
have you been to Perth and what do you mean Australia is easy to get around? Perth is extremely remote from most of the population.

Ah, apologies - I have not been to Perth. I was trying to phrase it in the context of how it'd be easier to communicate and hence 'get around' because of the lack of language barriers. :smile: I have been to certain parts of Eastern Europe, and found communication/getting a bus difficult because of the completely different language system.
Ah, apologies - I have not been to Perth. I was trying to phrase it in the context of how it'd be easier to communicate and hence 'get around' because of the lack of language barriers. :smile: I have been to certain parts of Eastern Europe, and found communication/getting a bus difficult because of the completely different language system.

You're going to make some great memories for yourself :smile: I see from your post above that you're heading to Perth, Western Australia for your Bachelor's - congratulations! Australia is easy to get around, plus you won't have language barriers. Since you'll be spending lots of time at Western Australia, you'll have the opportunity to visit other parts of Australia - and even New Zealand too, once the borders reopen. I'd say the only thing to prepare yourself for is the extreme summer Australian heat, but you'll learn and adapt. The locals will tell you the best things to do

Thank you, I will get there for sure🙂
Reply 14

oh i understand :smile: yes i guess language barrier would be a problem in Easter Europe. travelling around Australia especially when you live in Perth is not so easy tho cuz you're so removed from most of the country's population. like there is no train to get you to the next capital city like there is in Europe. you have to either buy an expensive air ticket or rent a car and drive across country so that was the first thought that occurred to me

Quick Reply

Latest