The Student Room Group

year 11 post-mocks 2021 - what we thinking?

hey guys, so i thought because most of us have finished mocks (or are spending Christmas preparing for January mocks), we could do a debrief of our experiences, how we think we did etc. feel free to comment along to this thread your thoughts!

Scroll to see replies

finished my mocks a week ago and they went okay. i’m pretty confident in all my subjects except english language tbh. i think i’m getting my results next week so i’ll see how i did🥲
Reply 2
Original post by amarachi_haemma
finished my mocks a week ago and they went okay. i’m pretty confident in all my subjects except english language tbh. i think i’m getting my results next week so i’ll see how i did🥲

great to hear, best of luck! <3
english lang caught me off guard too but it was first exam so i consider it a warm up lol
thank you, you too. hope you get the results you want!!!
Went pretty well overall! History was the exception, but I feel that it was that way for everyone, I can't say my history teacher is the best... :s-smilie: He literally told my class that he doesn't care if we fail, and that mocks aren't important anyway. Needless to say, not many people tried in that exam. My philosophy was that I can only do my best, and if I fail, I fail.

R.E. was definitely better this time (compared to year 10 mocks). I actually tried during it! My motivation was the fact that sets are changing in the new year, and I currently hate my class and miss my old teacher. R.E. is compulsory in my school, and a lot of people really do not like it at all. The majority of people just end up sleeping during the exam. Literally. You look over and see 200 people all with their head down and finding every excuse to go to the toilet

The art exam was really tiring (especially with all the spray paint fumes), and I think I aced the English lit paper! I'm getting my results this week, and honestly can't wait to find out how I've done!
Original post by _kvymnnn
Went pretty well overall! History was the exception, but I feel that it was that way for everyone, I can't say my history teacher is the best... :s-smilie: He literally told my class that he doesn't care if we fail, and that mocks aren't important anyway. Needless to say, not many people tried in that exam. My philosophy was that I can only do my best, and if I fail, I fail.

R.E. was definitely better this time (compared to year 10 mocks). I actually tried during it! My motivation was the fact that sets are changing in the new year, and I currently hate my class and miss my old teacher. R.E. is compulsory in my school, and a lot of people really do not like it at all. The majority of people just end up sleeping during the exam. Literally. You look over and see 200 people all with their head down and finding every excuse to go to the toilet

The art exam was really tiring (especially with all the spray paint fumes), and I think I aced the English lit paper! I'm getting my results this week, and honestly can't wait to find out how I've done!

let me know how it goes. good luck!
Original post by sarah.s.1
hey guys, so i thought because most of us have finished mocks (or are spending Christmas preparing for January mocks), we could do a debrief of our experiences, how we think we did etc. feel free to comment along to this thread your thoughts!

Finished my mocks a month ago, got most of my results and they are okay! Well, they are not as well as my Y10 mock results but I still did well :smile: I have learnt a lot about what I should improve on and what the exams might be like :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by _kvymnnn

give us updates! good luck :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by mellow2006
Finished my mocks a month ago, got most of my results and they are okay! Well, they are not as well as my Y10 mock results but I still did well :smile: I have learnt a lot about what I should improve on and what the exams might be like :biggrin:

glad they went well for you :smile: do you think we're getting teacher assessed?
glad they went well for you :smile: do you think we're getting teacher assessed?

sorry if you weren’t asking me, but i really don’t know what’s going to happen this year. part of me feels like we’re getting TAGs but a small part of me feels like we’re going to actually sit our exams in the summer. it’s all very confusing because the last year 11s were told that they’ll do their exams but they didn’t end up doing them
i get my results back on thursday! I did really well on some subjects, but I feel like I botched a few others, MAINLY HISTORY... i ran out of time
Reply 11
Original post by haemmamaduako
sorry if you weren’t asking me, but i really don’t know what’s going to happen this year. part of me feels like we’re getting TAGs but a small part of me feels like we’re going to actually sit our exams in the summer. it’s all very confusing because the last year 11s were told that they’ll do their exams but they didn’t end up doing them

I have the exact same thoughts! They were almost 100% certain last year that exams would continue the same and they didn’t sooo😬, you can never be too sure, but at the end of the day we can only try our best
All these mini assessments contribute to our predictions and aspirations anyway
For me personally, I’m going to work as though the exams will be happening, and if they don’t I haven’t really anything to lose 🤷🏾*♀️
Reply 12
Original post by lilyjoestar
i get my results back on thursday! I did really well on some subjects, but I feel like I botched a few others, MAINLY HISTORY... i ran out of time

I’m a Geography student but I’ve heard a lot about the difficulty of History, I loved History in Year 8 but I hear it gets a lot more complicated
Most people told me that grade boundaries will be lowered as a result of how hard the exam was so you’ll be absolutely fine <3
I’m a Geography student but I’ve heard a lot about the difficulty of History, I loved History in Year 8 but I hear it gets a lot more complicated
Most people told me that grade boundaries will be lowered as a result of how hard the exam was so you’ll be absolutely fine <3

aah thank you!! i hope so <3
History's grade boundaries are really low anyway (speaking for AQA but I assume others are the same):
Usually 75%+ will be a 9, which gives you an idea of how hard they think the course is if you can not do an entire section of a paper and still get a 9 (obviously with there only being 3 topics this time... you need to have a go at all of them)
Reply 15
Original post by lilyjoestar
aah thank you!! i hope so <3

let us know how it goes 😁, how did your others go?
Reply 16
Original post by AmIReallyHere
History's grade boundaries are really low anyway (speaking for AQA but I assume others are the same):
Usually 75%+ will be a 9, which gives you an idea of how hard they think the course is if you can not do an entire section of a paper and still get a 9 (obviously with there only being 3 topics this time... you need to have a go at all of them)

that sounds about right, in Geography a 9 is 70-75%
Well considering I've only done 2 mocks so far and have the rest this week, very stressed 😅 i feel like I got at least a 7 in both tho so not too bad, I guess we'll have to wait and see
Reply 18
does anyone know the potential grade boundaries for Edexcel Maths and Spanish <3
let us know how it goes 😁, how did your others go?

maths was a bit hard too, but the others went really well! I feel like the sciences definitely were the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest