The Student Room Group
University of York
York

English at York 2022

Hi!

I’ve got an offer for English/History at York and thought it might be nice to meet with some other English applicants.

Here’s some ice breaker questions:

1. What A-Levels do you do?
2. What are your achieved/predicted grades?
3. What’s your favourite type of literature? (E.g. prefer plays or novels)
4. What’s your favourite piece of literature? (E.g. the bell jar is your favourite book)
5. Why York?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamlethoratio
Hi!

I’ve got an offer for English/History at York and thought it might be nice to meet with some other English applicants.

4. What’s your favourite piece of literature? (E.g. the bell jar is your favourite book)
5. Why York?

I’ll start!

1. English Literature, History, and RS
2. A*A*A*A*
3. Novels
4. Probably Hamlet (not a novel I know!) or Maggie O’Farrell’s Hamnet (but there’s a reoccurring theme here!) I put the Bell Jar as an example though and I do actually love that too haha
5. Beautiful city, people seem really lovely (especially english staff on open day), top uni, amazing course, societies look great, well-being support looks fab
University of York
York
Hi!

5. Why York?

I'm in my first year studying straight English literature so let me know if you have any questions!
Reply 3
Hi!

5. Why York?

Hi!!

1. Advanced Highers - English, Music
Higher - Classics
A-level - Art
2. AAAA
3. Novels (though i love plays equally as much, cant say the same about poems tho...)
4. I have so many to choose from! Problems of being an English applicant I guess 😅 I'll just say that I'm reading 'The Phantom of the Opera' right now and I'm loving it!
5. Absolutely beautiful area that reminds me of my own city, following that as well, it's only a couple hours on train to and back from my home. It's a top Uni as well which I did take into account. Only downside I can find with York Uni is the horrible 60's buildings but other than that the environment seems so friendly and inviting!
Original post by Lauryyys
I'm in my first year studying straight English literature so let me know if you have any questions!

Oooo amazing! One question about the course - how did you find the introductory modules like Approaches to Literature I etc. I am a little worried as with the joint the whole of the first year is basically introductory modules and I wonder if it was a bit boring? Or are they more interesting than they sound haha? I am not really sure what it consists of :smile:
Oooo amazing! One question about the course - how did you find the introductory modules like Approaches to Literature I etc. I am a little worried as with the joint the whole of the first year is basically introductory modules and I wonder if it was a bit boring? Or are they more interesting than they sound haha? I am not really sure what it consists of :smile:

Heya! That's a really good question. So if you're doing joint honours in first year, you will be completing Approaches to Literature I and Key Concepts (and World of Literature I if you are doing straight English Literature)

I've just finished my first three modules and found them perfect in introducing me to what a degree in English looks like. The first week of your term you have introductory information but then you jump straight into the texts that you are studying and they are not boring at all! The modules form the grounding and base knowledge needed to progress through your degree and you pick up some extremely useful skills such as referencing styles and close reading at a university level standard.

Please let me know if you have any questions - I hope this helped!
Original post by Lauryyys
Heya! That's a really good question. So if you're doing joint honours in first year, you will be completing Approaches to Literature I and Key Concepts (and World of Literature I if you are doing straight English Literature)

I've just finished my first three modules and found them perfect in introducing me to what a degree in English looks like. The first week of your term you have introductory information but then you jump straight into the texts that you are studying and they are not boring at all! The modules form the grounding and base knowledge needed to progress through your degree and you pick up some extremely useful skills such as referencing styles and close reading at a university level standard.

Please let me know if you have any questions - I hope this helped!

That’s amazing - thank you so much!!! PRSOM
Original post by tottotes
Hi!!

1. Advanced Highers - English, Music
Higher - Classics
A-level - Art
2. AAAA
3. Novels (though i love plays equally as much, cant say the same about poems tho...)
4. I have so many to choose from! Problems of being an English applicant I guess 😅 I'll just say that I'm reading 'The Phantom of the Opera' right now and I'm loving it!
5. Absolutely beautiful area that reminds me of my own city, following that as well, it's only a couple hours on train to and back from my home. It's a top Uni as well which I did take into account. Only downside I can find with York Uni is the horrible 60's buildings but other than that the environment seems so friendly and inviting!

I'm a first year English student and I'd just like to reassure you that, in my experience in my first term, the majority of the time I have been having lessons in the modern Spring Lane building and it is so beautiful!
Reply 8
1. English Lit, Latin, Classciv and EPQ
2.A*A*A*A prediction
3.I prefer Plays and Epic Poems (John Milton PL, Homer, Virgil)
4. Hamlet definitely
5. It’s beaut , staff are lovely, course is amazing can’t wait to join
Original post by Afrs13
1. English Lit, Latin, Classciv and EPQ
2.A*A*A*A prediction
3.I prefer Plays and Epic Poems (John Milton PL, Homer, Virgil)
4. Hamlet definitely
5. It’s beaut , staff are lovely, course is amazing can’t wait to join

Hamlet supremacy! Also love a bit of John Milton's Paradise Lost :smile:
Hi!
1. English lit, History, Latin and EPQ
2. A*A*A*A* (if we're counting EPQ there, could not survive 4 A-Levels)
3. novels!
4. If we're talking like literature with a capital L that I actively enjoy, probably something like Much Ado About Nothing (also not a novel) or Pride and Prejudice!
5. I really liked the modules they offer, they cover a lot of the things I'm interested in, like gender and sexuality type of stuff along with classics links
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Hamlet’s definitely Shakespeare’s best play. In March my college are going to The Globe to watch a play, finger’s crossed it’s Sam Wanamaker’s Hamlet
Original post by isometimesread
Hi!
1. English lit, History, Latin and EPQ
2. A*A*A*A* (if we're counting EPQ there, could not survive 4 A-Levels)
3. novels!
4. If we're talking like literature with a capital L that I actively enjoy, probably something like Much Ado About Nothing (also not a novel) or Pride and Prejudice!
5. I really liked the modules they offer, they cover a lot of the things I'm interested in, like gender and sexuality type of stuff along with classics links

Haha I just realised I put 3 A-Levels and 4 A*s because I included my EPQ haha but forgot about it as I finished it and got my grade in August :smile:

Pride and Prejudice is amazing - are you interested in doing the Jane Austen module at York? I think I will
Original post by Afrs13
Hamlet’s definitely Shakespeare’s best play. In March my college are going to The Globe to watch a play, finger’s crossed it’s Sam Wanamaker’s Hamlet

Aww that’s awesome! Yes I agree - I also like Richard III but that’s probably because I’m obsessed with the Plantagenet era of history haha
Haha I just realised I put 3 A-Levels and 4 A*s because I included my EPQ haha but forgot about it as I finished it and got my grade in August :smile:

Pride and Prejudice is amazing - are you interested in doing the Jane Austen module at York? I think I will

Yeah, thank goodness I finally got mine done earlier this term.

Yeah definitely! One of the many that sounds really interesting.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by isometimesread
Yeah, thank goodness I finally got mine done earlier this term.

Yeah definitely! One of the many that sounds really interesting.

Such a relief to finish it haha, did you do an English lit related one? 100% will be doing the Austen module and cannot wait to do Approaches to Literature I too as it's stuff like Virginia Woolf and Mary Shelley 😍
Such a relief to finish it haha, did you do an English lit related one? 100% will be doing the Austen module and cannot wait to do Approaches to Literature I too as it's stuff like Virginia Woolf and Mary Shelley 😍

I loved studying Frankenstein! So many things to explore in it - different kinds of science, loneliness, the human condition... Mrs Dalloway too and its relation to modernism is also fascinating. (I'm a first year Eng student, so let me know if you have any Q's or want me to excite you about the course even more!)
Reply 17
I’m a bit more obsessed with the tudors after the Plantagenets hahah I love the history of Henry VIII and all his wives. Anne Boleyn is my fave
Original post by Afrs13
I’m a bit more obsessed with the tudors after the Plantagenets hahah I love the history of Henry VIII and all his wives. Anne Boleyn is my fave

Yeah I like the Tudors more too, actually, haha! Plantagenets are massively up there for me though - esp the powerful women in that era and the wars of the roses

My faves are Henry VIII's reign and Mary I's reign :smile: not an Anne Boleyn or Elizabeth I fan though, don't hate me!! More interested in Katherine of Aragon and Henry VIII's sister Mary Tudor, Queen of France

This is why history and English joint at York is perfect for me lol
Reply 19
Haha I get you! You seem to be more of the Catholic than the Protestant. I do have to say Mary is very interesting, have you watched the horrible histories Mary song based on Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights, love it

Quick Reply

Latest