The Student Room Group

Do you always need A level maths alongside physics?

Currently trying to choose my A levels.
So far I've narrowed down to biology, history, music, physics, French.
My initial combo was biology, chemistry and a (undecided) third subject but don't really want to do chemistry anymore and thinking about possibly replacing it with physics.
Am I shooting myself in the foot by not taking maths A level with physics?
(edited 2 years ago)
Maths will be very helpful but you don't need it... it's a wise idea to take maths though.
Do you take gcse further maths?
Original post by Bookworm524

Planning to, yes.
Original post by erin11
Planning to, yes.

What year are you in?
Original post by summerbirdreads
What year are you in?

year 11
Original post by erin11
year 11

And you're picking FM now? there's barely 6 months till GCSEs :colonhash:
And you're picking FM now? there's barely 6 months till GCSEs :colonhash:

I started it in year 10
Original post by erin11
I started it in year 10

Original post by erin11
Planning to, yes.

Oh, I was confused by that.
Oh, I was confused by that.

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well :rolleyes:
Original post by erin11
Sorry I didn't phrase that very well :rolleyes:

That's fine :smile:
If you take gcse FM, a level maths isn't that much of a jump
A-level maths probably isn’t necessary for A-level Physics since A-level physics pretty much just uses GCSE maths. It would certainly help though because the maths questions in physics will seem easy by comparison.

However, you should definitely take A-level maths because if you are going to uni to study science it’s really important that you know good maths. Many of the more competitive science courses won’t take you unless you have A-level maths. In fact some uni physics courses will be more interested in your A-level maths than your A-level physics.

Maths is the language of science. A good mathematician can probably learn any science, but if you’re a scientist who doesn’t know any maths then you will be severely restricted.

I’d advise you to look at relevant uni courses and see what the requirements are before making a choice that could restrict you later.
Original post by Flibbler
A-level maths probably isn’t necessary for A-level Physics since A-level physics pretty much just uses GCSE maths. It would certainly help though because the maths questions in physics will seem easy by comparison.

However, you should definitely take A-level maths because if you are going to uni to study science it’s really important that you know good maths. Many of the more competitive science courses won’t take you unless you have A-level maths. In fact some uni physics courses will be more interested in your A-level maths than your A-level physics.

Maths is the language of science. A good mathematician can probably learn any science, but if you’re a scientist who doesn’t know any maths then you will be severely restricted.

I’d advise you to look at relevant uni courses and see what the requirements are before making a choice that could restrict you later.

Thank you
Original post by erin11
So far I've narrowed down to biology, history, music, physics, French and want to study environmental/natural sciences at uni.
My initial combo was biology, chemistry and a (undecided) third subject but don't really want to do chemistry anymore and want to replace it with physics.

i'd highly recommend taking maths as well, but it isn't technically required. if you completely hate maths (which I get), it suggest getting a tutor (if you can) or find some good youtube videos to help teach you the basics, as you really don't wanna be teaching yourself calculus!
maths isn't for everyone so i completely get you not wanting to take it, but it is a maths heavy subject so just be aware of that! x
Every degree which requires A-level Physics also requires A-level Maths, so it's a bit pointless doing physics without maths. Plus there is a fair bit of synergy between the two subjects so I get the impression most find the pair to be less relative work than two wholly unrelated A-levels.
Some Uni's require Maths alongside Physics, for example my place:

SQA: Highers: Mathematics at A and Physics at B. Higher Applications of Mathematics is not accepted in place of Higher Mathematics. Advanced Higher Mathematics is recommended. National 5s: English at C.
A Levels: Mathematics at A and Physics at B. GCSEs: English at C or 4.
IB: HL: Mathematics (from 2021, Mathematics: Analysis and approaches only) at 6 and Physics at 5. SL: English at 5.

(Edinburgh)

Others likely do, too.

Trust me when I say this: A-Level Maths helps you grasp concepts easier, it helps you understand derivations easier, and it lets you learn your content originally at a higher level rather than just accepting "Oh and we get this equation because yes."
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Bookworm524

Why?
Original post by erin11
So far I've narrowed down to biology, history, music, physics, French and want to study environmental/natural sciences at uni.
My initial combo was biology, chemistry and a (undecided) third subject but don't really want to do chemistry anymore and want to replace it with physics.

Hi,

I am a current 3rd year Natural Sciences student at the University of Nottingham.
To study Physics as part of Natural Sciences at Nottingham you need to have maths A level. However, unlike many other unis you don't need maths to study chemistry. I didn't take maths at a level and found that there was only a few unis that allowed you to take chemistry without maths a level.
For that reason, if you were wanting ot carry on with either Chemistry or Physics maths a level would help for Chemistry yet be pretty much essential for Physics.

At Nottingham, you have the option to take quite a few other subjects without needed the A level or equivalent. These include Earth science, ecosystems and environment, cancer science and psychology to name a few. From the sounds of it I think the Earth science or ecosystems and environment streams would be of interest to you.

If you have any further questions please let me know and I will get back to you,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest