The Student Room Group

Is contacting the union considered taboo?

I have felt for a while my fellow PGCE students from last year have all moved on to some really good schools, they have no issues at all and they’re having a lovely time. But ive just had the opposite experience

I found a job quite late in all fairness. It’s all there was. So I took it, but it’s been a little let’s say testing.

Today a boy became verbally aggressive towards me after a lesson. He got vet near me almost as though he was going to do something to me. I was quite shocked and all the other kids laughed at it. All he said was “****ing move out my way I swear. I’m telling you now move from my way.”

So I did but a mix of shock and anger came abouy after. I just felt stuck. I spoke to his form tutor and then the HOY. HOY let him off from his detention and he’s going to serve a day in isolation tomorrow. Normally it should be an exclusion for any verbal aggression. But it’s not so I feel the rules made no sense here.

I rang my union and told them all this they said I do need to check the policy about this stuff but I should not have been given near bottom sets for all my classes and I need to think about getting union intervention.

What do you guys think?
Original post by s789
I have felt for a while my fellow PGCE students from last year have all moved on to some really good schools, they have no issues at all and they’re having a lovely time. But ive just had the opposite experience

I found a job quite late in all fairness. It’s all there was. So I took it, but it’s been a little let’s say testing.

Today a boy became verbally aggressive towards me after a lesson. He got vet near me almost as though he was going to do something to me. I was quite shocked and all the other kids laughed at it. All he said was “****ing move out my way I swear. I’m telling you now move from my way.”

So I did but a mix of shock and anger came abouy after. I just felt stuck. I spoke to his form tutor and then the HOY. HOY let him off from his detention and he’s going to serve a day in isolation tomorrow. Normally it should be an exclusion for any verbal aggression. But it’s not so I feel the rules made no sense here.

I rang my union and told them all this they said I do need to check the policy about this stuff but I should not have been given near bottom sets for all my classes and I need to think about getting union intervention.

What do you guys think?

Don't feel embarrassed about going to the union - some schools are better for a first post than others. Are there other new teachers and what sort of timetable have they got? For example, we don't give new teachers Year 11 or 13 to allow them to find their feet a bit and not take over a group.

Go back to the HOY and ask why he did not apply the behaviour policy ...
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Don't feel embarrassed about going to the union - some schools are better for a first post than others. Are there other new teachers and what sort of timetable have they got? For example, we don't give new teachers Year 11 or 13 to allow them to find their feet a bit and not take over a group.

Go back to the HOY and ask why he did not apply the behaviour policy ...

I feel really unsupported at the moment. The hoy just told me to look happy it’s not the end of the world.after I was spoken to like crap. Long story short they didn’t wanna deal with the student
Original post by s789
I feel really unsupported at the moment. The hoy just told me to look happy it’s not the end of the world.after I was spoken to like crap. Long story short they didn’t wanna deal with the student

What do your union suggest? Are they wlling to get involved?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
What do your union suggest? Are they wlling to get involved?

They said yes. They’re willing to support because I can’t progress if I’m being given kids I can’t move foreword with. It also states in the ECF guidelines we shouldn’t be given kids that are significantly causing disruption on a daily basis. I feel it’s always a bit of a difficult one getting unions involved straight away but nonetheless not sure where else to go. I’ve done everything I can.
Original post by s789
They said yes. They’re willing to support because I can’t progress if I’m being given kids I can’t move foreword with. It also states in the ECF guidelines we shouldn’t be given kids that are significantly causing disruption on a daily basis. I feel it’s always a bit of a difficult one getting unions involved straight away but nonetheless not sure where else to go. I’ve done everything I can.

Many years ago as a new teacher, I was given a Year 11 class that had driven their Year 10 teacher to a breakdown .... it wasn't great and I had to go to my union for advice - that was enough for the school to intervene 'properly'.
I resolved to NEVER to do that to any NQT/ECT .... difficult students are my job
Original post by s789

You need to be careful because if your school is unsupportive they’ll simply manouver to get rid of you rather than put changes in place to support you. They’ll probably begin that process by putting you on a support plan regarding some aspect of your teaching or behaviour management. The school will protect themselves by positioning you as the problem.

I don’t really understand why your union haven’t suggested that you take this forward as a staff safety issue. This isn’t the first time that a student has threatened or verbally attacked you while other students looked on and laughed (the change in username fools noone, sorry). From what you’ve described over the course of this term, I would say that your physical safety is at risk. One of these young people could really hurt you and it sounds like they are increasingly bold about their desire to do just that. They sound like they’ve decided that they really dislike you and they are being encouraged by the approval and amusement of their peers. You’re effectively being bullied by the kids. It’s an extremely dangerous situation for a young member of staff to be in. This should be the primary reason for requesting their removal from your class rather than a concern about the progress of your teaching (which the school can easily deny by using data to show that the mix of students in your classes is representative of the school population as a whole).

Teachers have been seriously injured in attacks by students.
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
You need to be careful because if your school is unsupportive they’ll simply manouver to get rid of you rather than put changes in place to support you. They’ll probably begin that process by putting you on a support plan regarding some aspect of your teaching or behaviour management. The school will protect themselves by positioning you as the problem.

I don’t really understand why your union haven’t suggested that you take this forward as a staff safety issue. This isn’t the first time that a student has threatened or verbally attacked you while other students looked on and laughed (the change in username fools noone, sorry). From what you’ve described over the course of this term, I would say that your physical safety is at risk. One of these young people could really hurt you and it sounds like they are increasingly bold about their desire to do just that. They sound like they’ve decided that they really dislike you and they are being encouraged by the approval and amusement of their peers. You’re effectively being bullied by the kids. It’s an extremely dangerous situation for a young member of staff to be in. This should be the primary reason for requesting their removal from your class rather than a concern about the progress of your teaching (which the school can easily deny by using data to show that the mix of students in your classes is representative of the school population as a whole).

Teachers have been seriously injured in attacks by students.

Ah, my suspicions were correct then? This is that Jammy character right?
Original post by ROTL94
Ah, my suspicions were correct then? This is that Jammy character right?

Jammydodger/wheresthecake/I can’t even remember her other names because she’s had so many, lol. It’s only really relevant because she changes username to present these incidents as isolated, when they’re clearly ongoing and escalating. I don’t understand why her mentor isn’t doing anything to support her. She or someone else in her classroom is going to get seriously hurt if things carry on like this.
Reply 9
Original post by s789

What do you guys think?

Look here's my advice, I'm a new teacher too and I had to deal with something similar although not as extreme. I'm assuming you've followed all protocol, calls home, put every incident on the system (that helps to give them bigger punishments down the line) etc.

The school I started as an NQT with was quite a bad school with poor behaviour and I wasn't enjoying it. So I left, in the first term during my nqt year. The school weren't happy but I wasn't prepared to stay at a place which was run so poorly.

Now I'm at a school where the behaviour is very good and I'm able to teach my subject and it certainly has been a pleasure to work here thus far, I hope that continues. Interestingly my behaviour management is considered very good by staff here here in contrast to my last school where I couldn't get a couple of classes how I wanted them (low level chatter, disruption etc).

You have two options the way I see it. 1 - stick it out, write off that bad class. Eventually it will come good, might take a few years though but you will build the resilience and your mind will just figure out what to do slowly. I asked a lot of teachers in the bad school I was at, that's what they said.

Second option is to leave. Find out the schools in your area with good behaviour and apply to them.

I know it won't help at the time, but try to remember all the kids that you've helped and the ones that have been doing the work and are thankful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending