The Student Room Group

Dentistry is terrible - a truthful/real view from a graduate/DFT

I've just graduated from Dentistry and am now currently on my DFT (Dental Foundation Trainee) year, earning a salary and working in London.

Dentistry was great at uni, the uni experience was good.

However, no one EVER tells you the reality of dentistry after university. Life is absolute crap. The stress, the fact that you have to work like a an absolute animal to even make the good money people talk about. Even then, it's not great. General practice is terrible, and you will become depressed, every single associate I have come across hates their life and everyone knows it.

You want to work in hospital/teaching? Yeah, your salary will be cut in to pennies, and on top of that you have to go through MUCH more years of SUPER COMPETITIVE training years (DCT1/2/3 etc) to even get anywhere remotely close to a decent salary or a job that isn't based off UDAs.

For anyone that is struggling to decide if dentistry is what you actually want to do, take the plunge, don't do it. No one will care you're a dentist/have a dr title after a while. No one will care about you. You aren't looking after people the way you think you were going to, general practice is being a dog, being a salesman - they're there to make money, not look after patients, trust me, from someone who's actually in it and seeing it all now. You wanna provide proper care? Work in hospital, oh yeah but then you've gotta go through all I mentioned before and cut your salary by about 50%?

When I was told to do what I enjoy before I started uni, I didn't think too much of it, but boy I wish I listened. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY MONEY WILL NOT MATTER TO YOU AFTER TRUST ME (unless ofc you're literally not going to be earning anything doing what you enjoy). The dentistry aspect of it can be enjoyable at times, but the stress that comes with it is not worth it, the whole lifestyle, there's so much more than HEAVILY outweigh anything enjoyable from being a dentist.

Please don't make the mistake, please don't force yourself to do it if you have doubts and something else you have always wanted to do.

If there are any dentists/DFTs or anyone that has changed their career path after dentistry, please do PM me as I am really want to change my career path.

I will be updating this post much more through the day and days coming, but I want to get this message out ASAP.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’ve heard some ridiculous stories about DFT. All those bizarre SJT scenarios are true :s-smilie:
Original post by TheRealTruthLife
I've just graduated from Dentistry and am now currently on my DFT (Dental Foundation Trainee) year, earning a salary and working in London.

Dentistry was great at uni, the uni experience was good.

However, no one EVER tells you the reality of dentistry after university. Life is absolute crap. The stress, the fact that you have to work like a an absolute animal to even make the good money people talk about. Even then, it's not great. General practice is terrible, and you will become depressed, every single associate I have come across hates their life and everyone knows it.

You want to work in hospital/teaching? Yeah, your salary will be cut in to pennies, and on top of that you have to go through MUCH more years of SUPER COMPETITIVE training years (DCT1/2/3 etc) to even get anywhere remotely close to a decent salary or a job that isn't based off UDAs.

For anyone that is struggling to decide if dentistry is what you actually want to do, take the plunge, don't do it. No one will care you're a dentist/have a dr title after a while. No one will care about you. You aren't looking after people the way you think you were going to, general practice is being a dog, being a salesman - they're there to make money, not look after patients, trust me, from someone who's actually in it and seeing it all now. You wanna provide proper care? Work in hospital, oh yeah but then you've gotta go through all I mentioned before and cut your salary by about 50%?

When I was told to do what I enjoy before I started uni, I didn't think too much of it, but boy I wish I listened. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY MONEY WILL NOT MATTER TO YOU AFTER TRUST ME (unless ofc you're literally not going to be earning anything doing what you enjoy). The dentistry aspect of it can be enjoyable at times, but the stress that comes with it is not worth it, the whole lifestyle, there's so much more than HEAVILY outweigh anything enjoyable from being a dentist.

Please don't make the mistake, please don't force yourself to do it if you have doubts and something else you have always wanted to do.

If there are any dentists/DFTs or anyone that has changed their career path after dentistry, please do PM me as I am really want to change my career path.

I will be updating this post much more through the day and days coming, but I want to get this message out ASAP.

is this meant to put off prospective dental students?? well if it was u have done a bad job of it
Haha, I'm hearing just as bad stories from my medic friends but they don't sound as depressed. They're working non stop though and doing night shifts which I personally couldn't hack.

Original post by Mesopotamian.
I’ve heard some ridiculous stories about DFT. All those bizarre SJT scenarios are true :s-smilie:

To be fair, the SJT scenarios aren't too bad, that's not my problem ahah but you're right, I'm hearing some crazy stories in practices from my friends outside of London haha

Original post by lol2468
is this meant to put off prospective dental students?? well if it was u have done a bad job of it

I would be absolutely desperate to even try to do that. I'm telling people the other side, the reality of it. I've got nothing to gain from posting this, other than helping people that were in my position 5/6 years ago. I'm telling people the honest truth after doing dentistry at uni. Please, if you are wanting to do dentistry go speak to people that have already graduated and are now working etc, everyone at uni will tell you how great it is, because no one really knows what it's like until they're out. Doing dentistry at uni was amazing, lots of fun and very sociable. I enjoyed it lots, so if you just wanna have a good uni experience sure go ahead.
(edited 2 years ago)
To be fair, the SJT scenarios aren't too bad, that's not my problem ahah but you're right, I'm hearing some crazy stories in practices from my friends outside of London haha

I’d tell you what I’ve heard, but I think it would count as whistle-blowing and I’m not sure that’s appropriate for this site :redface:
Reply 5
Every dentist I know said NHS was an absolute depressing nightmare but private practice is very cushy and to head that way ASAP.
Original post by Denplanx
Every dentist I know said NHS was an absolute depressing nightmare but private practice is very cushy and to head that way ASAP.

It is a nightmare from an organisational structure point of view. Apparently they’re looking to pilot new and improved schemes.
Original post by Denplanx

Hmm yeah I hear private is a bit better, but still I don't know

It is a nightmare from an organisational structure point of view. Apparently they’re looking to pilot new and improved schemes.

Pretty sure they've been saying this for the last 10+ years

Is there anyone that knows anyone who did dentistry and changed career paths? Or is there anyone who knows people who do part time dentistry and do something else aswell? It can be dental related or something completely different to dentistry?
Pretty sure they've been saying this for the last 10+ years

Exactly.
Reply 9
I have had the opposite experience to you. Hated every moment of (London based) dental school with every fibre of my being. As soon as DFT started, I loved it.

The big difference is that I don't work in London, and you couldn't pay me enough to move back. Location and a sense of community is everything.
Hospital jobs seem not to be worth it.
Everyone seems to be happiest private.
I'm currently working as an NHS dentist and it's rather enjoyable.

-> Just to add, you're just a couple of months into DFT, I had a similar experience where the practice frontloaded a bunch of things to me and tried to pass it off as my responsibility - I put my foot down solidly by January and told them where my boundaries were! It almost felt like a hazing ritual. Many people have been through the same thing and kept quiet, only to wish that they had said something sooner.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Another
I have had the opposite experience to you. Hated every moment of (London based) dental school with every fibre of my being. As soon as DFT started, I loved it.

The big difference is that I don't work in London, and you couldn't pay me enough to move back. Location and a sense of community is everything.

-> Just to add, you're just a couple of months into DFT, I had a similar experience where the practice frontloaded a bunch of things to me and tried to pass it off as my responsibility - I put my foot down solidly by January and told them where my boundaries were! It almost felt like a hazing ritual. Many people have been through the same thing and kept quiet, only to wish that they had said something sooner.

Out of interest, which London dental school did you attend? I’m also in London, and quite frankly, since the pandemic, I don’t think it’s fit for purpose anymore. It’s beyond me why they continue to accept new first year intakes.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Out of interest, which London dental school did you attend? I’m also in London, and quite frankly, since the pandemic, I don’t think it’s fit for purpose anymore. It’s beyond me why they continue to accept new first year intakes.

Spoiler

Damn, it's gotten that bad for some schools? I'll share mine if you share yours!
I am just grateful for a career that doesn't tie me down to any particular city or location.

Spoiler

Original post by Another
Damn, it's gotten that bad for some schools? I'll share mine if you share yours!
I am just grateful for a career that doesn't tie me down to any particular city or location.

Spoiler

I wish it was some schools, it would make the epic failure more bearable!

I agree, I’ve heard a lot about how dentistry outside of London is a lot nicer in many respects.

Spoiler

Original post by Another

I've given you a PM just wanting to find out more to be honest. I am still torn as to what I want to do in the future, and wondering if I should go back to uni to study what I first wanted to before I even did dentistry. Dentistry at university was amazing. I went to Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry / QMUL.

I wish it was some schools, it would make the epic failure more bearable!

I agree, I’ve heard a lot about how dentistry outside of London is a lot nicer in many respects.

Spoiler

You're doing Dentistry?

You're doing Dentistry?

Yes.
Well all this post is telling me is to stay in the north after I graduate.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Well all this post is telling me is to stay in the north after I graduate.

I’ve heard this from a lot of people, I’m beginning to consider it too. Cheaper housing too - imagine getting a 3-bed home for £150,000 instead of £1,500,000!
I’ve heard this from a lot of people, I’m beginning to consider it too. Cheaper housing too - imagine getting a 3-bed home for £150,000 instead of £1,500,000!

Was that hyperbole or are you Cockneys really getting mugged off that bad?
Original post by ROTL94
Was that hyperbole or are you Cockneys really getting mugged off that bad?

:lol: I was being quite generous. A bunch of new build one-bed apartments (unfurnished) are being sold for the bargain price of £8,900,000 where I live.
Reply 19
Sorry you’re finding your profession so unrewarding. A degree opens the door to many career avenues. There will be wider healthcare options and graduate scheme jobs in research, technical functions, retail management, teaching too. Some of these will require further study others you can learn on the job. I started in background research, did a company sponsored MPhil, moved in to product development and then quality management and I earn a reasonable amount. I would go and see a careers advisor and generate some ideas around what you feel you would like to do.

Quick Reply

Latest